Author Topic: random question about servers  (Read 4862 times)

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
Re: random question about servers
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2006, 04:59:04 pm »
Space: about 3 GB without the database, which will suck up lots of space.
This includes directories for all the source and stuff.
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

Myrthe

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2006, 07:08:56 pm »
so lets say my comp has 4GB. Would you guys like to use it? id love to help!

steuben

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2006, 08:06:00 pm »
and a 6 sigma reliable connection ?
and serious bandwidth in _both_ directions?
and no limits on total data transfered?

running a server for something like this is serious buisness. the uproar when the server goes down for an update, is _nothing_ like when the server goes down becuase something is borked somewhere.
may laanx frighten the shadow from my path.
hardly because the shadow built the lexx.
the shadow will frighten laanx from my path.

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2006, 08:09:27 pm »
If your pc has 4 GB of space I laugh at it, that's way too little for the database to fit in.
Laanx has 160 GB.

To add:
The 3 GB I mentioned is PS only, so no OS, no MySQL, no database, no anything besides PS itself!

These are Laanx's specs:
    * Intel Pentium 4 2.66GHz
    * Intel S845WD1-E Motherboard
    * 1GB ECC Kingston PC2100 DDR-SDRAM
    * 2x 80GB 7200rpm IDE Harddisks
    * Running on Redhat Linux 8.0

So something running equal or better than that will do, but if will have to be stored at a proper hosting centre, not some in-the-garage-under-the-table pc, but that's what Steuben tried to explain to you.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 08:12:50 pm by ThomPhoenix »
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

Myrthe

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2006, 08:51:57 pm »
my comp has more than 4GB of space. i was using that as an example. and no, the comp is only 3 years old we just never use it lol. we already have 5...plus i dont know how to check all that stuff.

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2006, 08:58:55 pm »
We can't accept offers like this, since we need something very dedicated, and trustworthy. A lot of information is stored on the server that we simply cannot have falling into everyone's hands - so no matter how attractive of a machine you may have, there's a certain level of professionalism that's required about it all.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Myrthe

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2006, 09:03:46 pm »
iight its cool

Uyaem

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2006, 07:12:08 am »
Much more important than space, cpu and even ram is the connection.

Imagine 200 players playing PS at the same time (we're actually getting close to that, yay!).
Now lets assume that each of these clients receives an average of 2 kilobytes of UDP datagrams every second. They have to come from somewhere. The server needs to send them. So, so supply 200 clients, you need to have an upload capacity of 400 kB/s minimum, and that's not even covering spikes. :)

So connection-wise, you cannot have more than roughly 300 to 350 people tops on a 10 MBit line...
DSL/Cable? No way... :)
The internet is "the terrorists'" most important weapon, they say.
Wrong.
Fear is their most important weapon.
Ours is our freedom.

Myrthe

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2006, 01:26:26 pm »
alright, alright, i get it, this wont work. i was just wondering anyways lol  :D

NewToPlaneShift

• Wayfarer
  • New to PlaneShift
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2006, 02:36:03 am »
I am New, Hello all. May I ask if anyone knows when the Master server will be back up? I can't wait to try this game. Can anyone tell me about it? Can you own a home? I just need to know a bit of it, Not to much, Hope it gets back up shortly. \\o//

neko kyouran

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2006, 02:45:32 am »
Hiyeah,  the server should be back up within 1-2 days, which you read in many other places as you browse the forums.

A short run down, PS's main goal is to create a world that encourages RP (role play) over anything else.  If you haven't already, be sure to check out the player giude on the main site as well as the getting started in game and Role play stickies on the forum.

Currently player owned housing is still a very far way off, but some people like to make claim to some of the empty existing building you'll find around in game as calling them thier homes/guild halls/shops/ ect.

Welcome to PS and enjoy your stay.

NewToPlaneShift

• Wayfarer
  • New to PlaneShift
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2006, 03:00:05 am »
Ok, thank you. I just Checked out the RPG Newbie thing. Some1 please post or pm me when the Planeshift master server gets up.

peeg

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2006, 04:09:18 am »
As soon as the server is back up and the new clients are ready this will be announced in this board, in IRC and on the mainpage :D
[ PSde ] - Join the german community!
Peeg Chaoswind - Mentor in The Rangers Of Yliakum

korzec

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2006, 07:24:51 am »
I am New, Hello all. May I ask if anyone knows when the Master server will be back up? I can't wait to try this game. Can anyone tell me about it? Can you own a home? I just need to know a bit of it, Not to much, Hope it gets back up shortly. \\o//

same here :] i cant wait!! 3 days i have to test it and i go for vacation!

Idoru

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2006, 11:13:35 am »
Just a quick question, what stops someone from just setting up their own server, legallity issues i mean.
I understand that the engine is GPLed and i believe the source for the server (and client) is available through sourceforge.
But i guess all artwork is not available under such a liberal license? (but still available via sourceforge?)
I had a look at the source and had problems finding any configure scripts or make files (maybe cause i didnt look too hard.) Are there any or is this a method of stopping ppl seting up servers?
I also assume that none of the databases (eg. NPC Stats, world configuration, weapons stats) are stored on sourceforge, please can you clarify this.
Thnx in advance

p.s. (this is turning into not such a quick question lol) I was reading the history.txt in on sourceforge and was wondering whether things being listed currently are things that will make it into this build or is there a good chance that they are too late to be included? (bug fixes discovered during server testing excepted of course)

thanx again :)

"May there only be peaceful and cheerful Earth Days to come for our beautiful Spaceship Earth as it continues to spin and circle in frigid space with its warm and fragile cargo of animate life."