Author Topic: random question about servers  (Read 4860 times)

steuben

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Re: random question about servers
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2006, 11:18:08 am »
ianad, but just the source is available via sourceforge. everything else that make ps, ps is released throught the download. that and the rules and other such stuff is kept server side.
may laanx frighten the shadow from my path.
hardly because the shadow built the lexx.
the shadow will frighten laanx from my path.

Bereror

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Planeshift API
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2006, 11:26:09 am »
Just a quick question, what stops someone from just setting up their own server, legallity issues i mean.

Most of your questions are already answered here: So, you want your own server?. Read it and if you still have question, we are more than happy to answer them :)
PlaneShift Sources
PlaneShift API
"Words never spoken
Are the strongest resounding"

Idoru

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2006, 11:49:43 am »
ahhhh, I see.

So in theory it is possible to compile the code, set-up a server running on Linux in VMware then setup 2 clients on other VMs, connect and have a conversation with myself, ummmm, for testing purposes :)

About the configure scripts, was I just not looking very hard then :) or do you just run it through GCC?  :sweatdrop:
and also, that means there are databases but just not advanced?

*edit*

My apologies, i just found the compilation guide. :)
JAM instead of make eh?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 01:07:38 pm by Karyuu »

"May there only be peaceful and cheerful Earth Days to come for our beautiful Spaceship Earth as it continues to spin and circle in frigid space with its warm and fragile cargo of animate life."

Morele

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2006, 08:00:19 pm »
ahhhh, I see.

So in theory it is possible to compile the code, set-up a server running on Linux in VMware then setup 2 clients on other VMs, connect and have a conversation with myself, ummmm, for testing purposes :)

About the configure scripts, was I just not looking very hard then :) or do you just run it through GCC?  :sweatdrop:
and also, that means there are databases but just not advanced?

*edit*

My apologies, i just found the compilation guide. :)
JAM instead of make eh?

Ewwww JAM.  Now I remember why I never made .deb packages for Plane Shift.  :(

Make sure you post your results back here details of your experience though (success or failure).  I've got a spare PIII (actually I've got several... I'm a bit of a PC clepto  ;D ), and I'm curious if I could do in that way.  I don't know if using VMware for it is such a good Idea, beacuse it needs to run the full Linux OS, Mysql, and probably a lot more, and then you still need to have 512Mb or free Ram to run the client. 

Let us know how it goes though.  ;)
"I'm not really what I once was to you. I can't be."
"You are."
"I'm as much as I can be, that's all."
"Enough for me."