Author Topic: I've neber seen this one before  (Read 1691 times)

Bensonor

• Traveller
    • View Profile
I've neber seen this one before
« on: June 28, 2007, 10:10:10 am »
I come to the login page and try to login, and all looks well running around 300 or so and when i click join it says "The server is not running or is not reachable." ?????

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: I've neber seen this one before
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 10:14:22 am »
Possible.

"The server" are two distinct things:

a) The server computer, the hardware, with an operating system. PING requests are handled by standard daemons/services running "always" while the operating system runs. This part answers with around 300 ms delay, for your connection to Singapore.

b) The game server. This is an own software which needs to run after the server computer booted completely.

If you can not login despite of good PING times, the "game server" (b) did not yet start up, even though the server computer (a) already runs.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 10:16:02 am by LigH »

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Bensonor

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 10:26:19 am »
Thank you.

Cebot

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 02:41:24 pm »
Possible.

"The server" are two distinct things:

a) The server computer, the hardware, with an operating system. PING requests are handled by standard daemons/services running "always" while the operating system runs. This part answers with around 300 ms delay, for your connection to Singapore.

b) The game server. This is an own software which needs to run after the server computer booted completely.

If you can not login despite of good PING times, the "game server" (b) did not yet start up, even though the server computer (a) already runs.

Thats not correct. Well, not wrong either. Fact is, planeshift uses an internal function for the ping time, the ping, that the client shows you at the login screen and ingame with /ping is handled by the psserver software, not by the standard icmp ping.
The message that the server is not running while you get a ping result from it is very much because of some lag. The server works together with a mysql database, sometimes it can happen that a sql query just blocks which results in a long lag, even a crash can happen here. while the server still can handle the pings it can't handle anything else at this point. The resulting lag can vanish within a few seconds or after some minutes, so just try to login again...recently i got that kind of message very often, lets see if it's better in 019 :)

enjoy, Cebot
So why do I love when I still feel pain?
When does it end, when is my work done?
Why do I fight and why do I feel that
I carry a sword, that I carry a sword through a battlefield?

VNV Nation - Joy