Author Topic: Who can explain this server instability?  (Read 2627 times)

Cilla

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Who can explain this server instability?
« on: July 29, 2007, 07:19:06 pm »
Sometimes 2 days AI down, sometimes crash/restart every 5 minutes.. Who can give me a little explanation, it is really dreadful...

lorac

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Who can explain this server instability?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 07:24:46 pm »
This is all too common with a new release
Remember..... this is pre  :beta: Tech demo
alot of the time the server needs to reboot to commit the changes
and some of the times the server needs rebooted to bring up the AI system
Or atleast it used to
but as bugs are squashed as is server connections because some of the bugs require a server restart
Also Remember it takes a few minutes for the AI to come up once server starts
The NPC Client is a service that has to start up also
:)

Cilla

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 07:34:53 pm »
Hah, updating the server every 2 minutes?

New release? It is 2 weeks old already.. after 13 years of development they should be able to release playable versions, or at least get the server stabl, thats what many people are complaining...

What I don understand is, there are phases when the server is stabl for hours and sometimes not even for a minute xx times in a row..
I would just be glad about some infos

Btw: pre alpa I heard
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 07:40:55 pm by Cilla »

neko kyouran

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 07:57:09 pm »
sometimes the server crashes over and over again, becuase players in the owrld are continuously doing something over and over again that cause it to crash over and over again.  So the safe way to have a stable server is to have everyone not be able to do anything.

On a more serious note, the upside to all this, is that whenever the server crashes, it makes a dump log that can then be reviewed to figure out what caused the crash and then a code fix can be made to prevent this from happening in the future.  :)

Cilla

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 07:59:59 pm »
Afaik the devs greatly lag behind and the todolist is growing longer and longer..

The server is not even resetted, there is a skin I dropped an hour ago still liing on the floor, eventhough there were maybe 25 crashes in between...

neko kyouran

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 08:12:41 pm »
for shame on you. littering is a punishable offense of getting put to death.

Cilla

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 08:15:49 pm »
Huch sorry what?
I don relly know what littering means, but there was no offence, I said as far as I know in a matter of fact style?!?

Hmm, what is littering please? Offending?

neko kyouran

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 08:20:40 pm »
1)  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Litter

2) settings you were supposed to read as this is a role playing game:  http://www.planeshift.it/setting.html

The general stance has always been to frown upon those who just throw stuff on the ground cluttering up the landscape.

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2007, 08:29:01 pm »
This game has been in 3D form starting with 2002, I believe, or 2001. Before that there was no 3D client. 13 years? I wish :)

Stability is not guaranteed at this time. Maybe in a few years we'll reach a state where the server will only crash once a day, and everyone will be very happy about it. But as long as this game is in open development, meaning players are allowed to play it while we are still working on it, crashes are going to happen.

At any given time, we have less than 10 active programmers. And this game has a huge amount of features that require work - inventory, NPC AI/behaviors, combat, crafting, training, player maps and books, pets, etc. With so much to do and so little people to do it, we can't always fix every bug immediately as it comes up. So some patience is required on your part when the server is acting up - do remember that we keep track of each bug, assign it, and get it taken care of sooner or later. It's really frustrating sometimes, but think of it this way: you're frustrated that you can't play, while our programmers are frustrated because they need to fix a bug that will take several hours of their free time.

Sometimes everyone has to suck it up and make the best of it.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Cilla

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007, 10:14:26 pm »
Thanks, I used dict.leo. I did not know which word I should use to translate littering though...

I didn not just throw it on the floor as trash, but to sit down on it and rest from hard work...

I really stick to the rp rules and encourage to rp and kindly tell other the rules (many people are lol / ;) / gn8 ing around in the mainchat) because most of them don know and most of them are thankful for the infos.

Btw, talking about the rules, the rules say that there is only ic chat allowed in every chat... Should we switch between an irc/ts2 ... and ps for ooc chat? A GM once told me to do so, though, other told me that only the main chat is an ic only chat,

Don get me wrong, I really enjoy the rping and am acting a lot ic in the main chat, but no ooc for the whole game, thats not really serious?!?

(Accidentally did not send it before...)

@ Karyuu
Someone told me its in development for 8 years as mmorpg and 5 more years as project, no clue wheter this is right or wrong :)

I really love this open project, I play it now for 3-4 weeks though, and I try to report every bug I can find, it is not only about just playin but for the project...

Anyway, keep up the good work!

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2007, 10:30:18 pm »
Cilla: You are supposed to use the public chat channels in PlaneShift for roleplay only. That's one of the main rules of the game, in order to promote an RP atmosphere. You can chat about anything you want in /group or /guild or /tell, but /say and /shout (and /auction) should be IC only.

Six is the most number of years PlaneShift has been in 3D development - it seems like a really long time, but considering that our team rarely goes over 20 people total, it's quite impressive to see where we are today. I don't think there's another project that's quite in the same category.

Thanks for reporting those bugs you encounter - it's really helpful to us! :)
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Cilla

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2007, 10:54:55 pm »
I don't think there's another project that's quite in the same category.
Afaik ;)

Cilla: You are supposed to use the public chat channels in PlaneShift for roleplay only. That's one of the main rules of the game, in order to promote an RP atmosphere. You can chat about anything you want in /group or /guild or /tell, but /say and /shout (and /auction) should be IC only.

Thats what I stick to, but you know that the rules on the mainpage tell that there should be no ooc at all?
Thats really not realizable, and maybe thats why people even don stick to rp in the main chat (and auction).

Btw, I always kindly tell people to use /shout for important issues and emergencys, otehrwise the world would be full of shouts.
You can also say /me shouts:
If there is no advisor available the systems tell you you may now /shout, so I would say /shout is not for the everyday rp.

Greetings :)

€:
When I said this:
Don get me wrong, I really enjoy the rping and am acting a lot ic in the main chat, but no ooc for the whole game, thats not really serious?!?

I meant that I only act as charachter in the main chat and that I act a lot in there.
Not that I act a lot ic and some ooc in the main chat. :)

€2:
Thanks for reporting those bugs you encounter - it's really helpful to us! Smiley

Unfortunately not many people, I would rather say few people seem to know about the feature to report bugs and help developing the game.
AryHann has agreed to insert the url in the next client loading screen.

Gn8 all, really late here, Ill log now.
* Cilla waves and vanishes into thin air.

€3:
Hehe I didn know that you can rp in here - / me , ;)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 11:04:00 pm by Cilla »

stfrn

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • the beaver ex-dev :B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2007, 10:49:56 am »
On a more serious note, the upside to all this, is that whenever the server crashes, it makes a dump log that can then be reviewed to figure out what caused the crash and then a code fix can be made to prevent this from happening in the future.  :)

And devs get mailed a notice as soon as the server crashes, which may help for quick fixes. Or make you feel more popular with 120messages per week  :whistling:
player -> gm -> dev -> bum

Cilla

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2007, 01:55:36 pm »
Quote from: Karyuu

Hmm whos responsible for the planeshift.it content?
I think it is necessary that someone updates the rules.

€
It should also be clarified wheter the /shout is for everyday rp or only for emergencies
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 05:16:51 pm by Cilla »

Nairan

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2007, 02:18:37 pm »
talad or agraig i think are the responsible persons for the web stuff