Author Topic: Concept of european/NA servers  (Read 3424 times)

Lafemme Elveness

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Concept of european/NA servers
« on: April 28, 2008, 06:49:39 am »
Now I know there have been alot of posts on this subject....Indeed ive perused them all & they all sidetrack around the main issue for most players on planeshift who put up with lag. Average ping of 400 means things can get a bit hairy at times. If there are plans to fire up some localised servers with portals to other servers, would be nice but not crucial. Just having no lag..would be really beneficial. So in short..Are there plans for European & or North American servers ? If Europe is considered, then obviously London or Crick would be ideally situated. Paris I suppose would geographically more acceptable..But A UK server would benefit from english speaking occupants alongside our foreign cousins across the Channel. That "unmentionable game", had a european server.

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
Re: Concept of european/NA servers
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 07:03:31 am »
Planeshift does not have enough people on at one time to require more then one server, and ping time is not as important in planeshift as in FPS. For now there will not be anymore servers, unless we get many many players much more then we do and the server cant handle it there will be no need to get more servers.

Lafemme Elveness

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 09:06:48 am »
Grant you that in a  FPS a ping of 16 is ideal. It would not benefit a MMORPG. But Have you thought maybe, the reason that alot of players dont stick around is cos the lag is too high hence not many players on at any one time. Say 180 players are online at one time from all over the world as per normal. Well having another 100 or so would probably make it virually unplayable for those on the fringes of the servers location. They would try again later.  OK how about just punching up the BW to bring our pings down to say....200 or so ? I apologise in advance for my cheekiness... The gameplay is fantastic & content is commendable. The best MMORPG in the world bar none.

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 09:28:29 am »
AFAIK 100 more people on the current server wont make a difference.
Lately someone fixed a mysterious bug of why there couldnt be more that 255 people on the server, so it is expected the number will rise.

The thing is that if you are going to have a server in europe, we would need one in america too and the 3 would be evently around the world, since the current one is in Singapure.
And then i gues devs would have to develop a code, which would allow playing on the 3 servers like it was one... A lot of work IMO and the fact it might not be easy to find 2 new decent servers whos owners won't resign in 2 years.
I'm sure devs will think about it when we have that many people on a server that in peacks it will really have a problem to physically deal with them.

What you can failure tommorow, failure today.

Better click for shiny stylez Help me with images!

Lanarel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 10:54:18 am »
And the main thing: lag you experience is probably graphics related, and has nothing to do with the connection. So even with a ping time of 1 ms (as on my local server), it may still seem slow.

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 11:00:27 am »
400ms is quite a lot, especially that it is avarage and may often peak to 1-2 seconds... in key moments...
It is annoying even if only for seeing how characters run and the get shifted and alike.

What you can failure tommorow, failure today.

Better click for shiny stylez Help me with images!

BlackDogSpark

• Traveller
    • View Profile
    • My dog's pages (TEXT IN FINISH)
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 12:09:24 pm »
400ms is quite a lot, especially that it is avarage and may often peak to 1-2 seconds... in key moments...
It is annoying even if only for seeing how characters run and the get shifted and alike.

Allmoest all my international net transferhas minimum avarage off 300ms ping. So I dont believe that is a problem and also for me ps woks fine. Oh and in ps i have something between 450-540
For we are many

SirPhobos

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 03:21:56 pm »
I'm sure all of you have experienced a delay in your HP registering a hit from an NPC or other character when in combat. I have been battling and NPC and waited till my HP was very low to run off so I could use spells and potions to heal, then go back and attack. Sometimes when I run off and I'm wellllllllll over the distance needed as to not be attacked by the NPC, I die. This is because of the NET LAG (high ping), not graphics lag (low frames per second). Servers closer to NA would benefit me, but then it wouldn't benefit people on the other side of the world. Multiple servers would just decrease the number of players you could interact with. So although this problem is evident, it may not be very easily fixed.

Elvicat

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • My site
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 03:37:00 pm »
you won't get that that sorta behavior with 400 ping, i play with that alot, i bet its 600 or more when this sorta stuff happens OR when the server has some issus

MustangMR

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 03:39:18 pm »
This is an issue in any web based game.  There are so many things that can go on between you, your ISP, the servers ISP, and the server, there's just no way to get it much lower.  300-400 ms ping is not that bad, not for a game like PS.  That's about my ping rate too.  You'll never see 16ms pings unless you're playing on a local server.  If you want, do a traceroute sometime between you and the PS server to get a feel for how many jumps you have to make.  You may find out that most of your lag is in one or two areas along the way and you may be able to contact the ISP and see if they are having a problem on that node they may not even be aware of.  I reguarly play MMORGS in the 200-300 ping rate with no problem.

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 08:37:54 pm »
Until we have instantaneous quantum communications, this is just something we will have to deal with. More servers are planned eventually as far as I know, but they will be for different areas in the game, not based on geographic location. Example: Oja would have one server while Hydlaa would be on another. I have a lag of 1500 or more typically, as I have satellite net. It is bothersome at times, but tolerable in PS.

Lafemme Elveness

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 11:47:02 pm »
A note to Lanarel : Its not graphics related I run 2x 8800's in Sli...Being an FPS fan im well aquainted with that issue hence the pair of beasts. I built this PC myself with FPS games in mind. I think some post wrongly saying LAg isnt an issue. It is.. In any game online. I appreciate the ideas of having different cities on different servers. 400 is a bit much and thats the best alot can hope for. Im sorry to moan. Im not moaning merely imploring.

Elvicat

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • My site
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 03:50:33 am »
you can trust me on this... it's gfx lag, dosn't mather if you have a good pc or not, you'll still get it with this unfinnished game and i can even give an example why it's not net lag, say the server goes down and the client dosn't know it, you won't notice it untill you try to do something with a npc or the interface as it won't react but you can still run around in the world and have no lag... well more or less none anyway, things will change over time so just hang in there atm there's just too many holes in the maps that can cause this type of lag, i've mad maps in the past that can have some holes in them and can cause lag and if they are big enough you can see the void or as i like to call it clipping, sure thouse are less noticable on newer computers but they can still get to you if the game itself can't handle them very well so you'll lag no mather what till the code gets optimized.

MustangMR

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 05:36:00 am »
Ummm, no, don't think I can trust you on that.  :P  Sure, there are some areas like you describe where the game just stops while you reload.  Those are graphics problems.  Some may even be accountable for the lack of response your system gives you.  But there are signals you can watch for to tell you what kind of lag you are experiencing.

Network lag: You click on something, say to loot.  With a good network connection, the interface responds to you without any noticeable lag.  When you're lagging here, you'll see a 3 or n number of seconds delay before the popups occur.  That's because the server hasn't acknowledged you have clicked on the item yet.  Other indication, you are fighting and you move.  The mob moves to react to you.  You are facing the mob in your screen, but you keep getting the message that it isn't in front of you.  That's because the server and your client aren't in sync, and takes a few seconds to get back in sync.

Graphics Lag: Graphics lag is a result of an underpowered graphics card.  One indication of this is consistently low frame rates.  Games play best at frame rates above 30, I'd recommend 40 and higher though.  One test to see this effect is when you're lagging, look down at the ground.  Does your performance increase?  If so, then you probably need a graphics card update... or the graphics engine needs some work.  I'm not convinced Crystal Space is that well optimized yet for all the different OS's it supports.

Memory Lag: Another kind of lag is from your memory subsystem, and this is one people overlook all the time in this type of discussion. Your system has a certain amount of memory in it.  If you fill up physical memory, your system starts swapping it out to disk.  This will kill your performance.  You'll see this effect the most when you zone and your system has to swap old database information for new.  If it can't do that in physical memory, you will have to wait while it writes it all to your hard disk to make room for the new stuff.  There are some settings in PS that try to improve performance with memory management, but don't turn them on unless you have the system to do it.  After a while, it starts hurting performance.  I have 1GB of RAM and it isn't enough to load more than three or four zones before I start having issues.  Most graphics games really need upwards of 2GB or more of memory.  The difference a GB of RAM can make on a game can be huge.

So everyone should evaluate their system for the type of lag they are experiencing and correct appropriately.  There is no one size fits all here.

Lanarel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 12:43:55 pm »
A note to Lanarel : Its not graphics related I run 2x 8800's in Sli...Being an FPS fan im well aquainted with that issue hence the pair of beasts. I built this PC myself with FPS games in mind. I think some post wrongly saying LAg isnt an issue. It is.. In any game online. I appreciate the ideas of having different cities on different servers. 400 is a bit much and thats the best alot can hope for. Im sorry to moan. Im not moaning merely imploring.
I will rephrase then ;) : if it is not graphics lag, you are very lucky and have no reason to complain anyway :P