Author Topic: Server down 05/19/08  (Read 6590 times)

Cebot

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Server down 05/19/08
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 06:36:15 am »
Kaityra, in general you are right, the answer will in most cases be "soon[tm]". But a new player, who is not familiar with downtimes may wonder why it is down (just a crash and no one around to fix it, or work on the server), so the question of a new player "when will it be back" is kind of related to the reason why it is down.

Raa: if your comment was rude or blunt doesn't matter, it simply was unnecessary to tell someone to shut up.
So why do I love when I still feel pain?
When does it end, when is my work done?
Why do I fight and why do I feel that
I carry a sword, that I carry a sword through a battlefield?

VNV Nation - Joy

Vorodot

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 10:01:07 am »
Not asking once after a certain time would be dishonest.

I'm pretty sure that the devs are aware that there are quite a few players out there who enjoy this game and are eager to play. We should show our interest in the game by discussing the game in the forum, by taking part in polls and by writing bug reports and suggestions for improvement. We shouldn't express it by annoying devs with question such as "when will it be up" or "when will it be ready". The only answer you will receive to these kind of questions is: Soon(TM).

I think you're missing the point here. Nobody is trying to annoy anyone. Just asking for a simple note in the forums that gives some kind of status when the server is down. Out of common courtesy to all the "eager to play" players out there. I don't think that's too much to ask for. Why have the "Server Status" section if not to give updates during downtimes?!?!

sprydle

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2008, 10:08:28 am »
Just found out about planeshift and downloaded it. My friend says its a great experience, so i decided to give it a try. Made it to the tutorial then i think the server went down.

When its up and running will it be posted in these forums?

Morla Phlint

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Rrivaln hrraln mo hetakh! (Enkien)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2008, 10:18:22 am »
Just found out about planeshift and downloaded it. My friend says its a great experience, so i decided to give it a try. Made it to the tutorial then i think the server went down.

When its up and running will it be posted in these forums?

The server is up at the moment. For most recent info you can always check this site: http://laanx.fragnetics.com/index.php.

since 0.3.019 Crystal Blue || Sometimes a ragequit is the right decision.

Kaityra

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2008, 10:36:50 am »
Not asking once after a certain time would be dishonest.

I'm pretty sure that the devs are aware that there are quite a few players out there who enjoy this game and are eager to play. We should show our interest in the game by discussing the game in the forum, by taking part in polls and by writing bug reports and suggestions for improvement. We shouldn't express it by annoying devs with question such as "when will it be up" or "when will it be ready". The only answer you will receive to these kind of questions is: Soon(TM).

I think you're missing the point here. Nobody is trying to annoy anyone. Just asking for a simple note in the forums that gives some kind of status when the server is down. Out of common courtesy to all the "eager to play" players out there. I don't think that's too much to ask for. Why have the "Server Status" section if not to give updates during downtimes?!?!

I'm certainly not missing the point. I did not say that anybody tries to be annoying but that the repeating of the same question "When will it be up?" is annoying because the answer will be "soon(TM)". I certainly do not mind posting information about the status of the server. It is fine to post if the server is up or down. I'm pretty sure that the devs will try to bring it up again as soon(TM) as possible if it should be down.

Vorodot

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2008, 02:06:09 pm »
I certainly do not mind posting information about the status of the server. It is fine to post if the server is up or down. I'm pretty sure that the devs will try to bring it up again as soon(TM) as possible if it should be down.

\\o// You're cracking me up Kaityra! We know when the server is down, there is no point posting about that. You can go to http://laanx.fragnetics.com and see if it's up or down... or just start the client. By status, I mean not just up/down, but something about what's going on. Something like "Hi Everyone, we're doing X, Y, and Z. We expect the server to be back in X hours. If for whatever reason we're unable to bring it up within this time frame we'll post an update here."
It take a few seconds to write a post but people appreciate when they are kept in the loop. Get it?

Kaityra

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2008, 02:20:23 pm »
We know when the server is down, there is no point posting about that. You can go to http://laanx.fragnetics.com and see if it's up or down... or just start the client.

Strange, and why do I see so many threads from new players wondering why they cannot connect to the server and have to be told that the server is down?

Oh, and I forgot another benefit of having a "Server Status" thread here in forum. Should a player write that the server is down and a dev reads the forum...

By status, I mean not just up/down, but something about what's going on. Something like "Hi Everyone, we're doing X, Y, and Z. We expect the server to be back in X hours. If for whatever reason we're unable to bring it up within this time frame we'll post an update here."
It take a few seconds to write a post but people appreciate when they are kept in the loop. Get it?

And still the players will ask "When is it back on?". And as the answer can only be "soon(TM)"... Get it?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 02:30:03 pm by Kaityra »

Vannaka

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2008, 02:30:29 pm »
If everybody hates these kinda server questions so much why do you read them?
Censorship FTW.

Kaityra

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2008, 02:33:39 pm »
If everybody hates these kinda server questions so much why do you read them?

Because it is fun to answer with "Soon(TM)".  :P  :-*

zorbels

• Forum Addict
  • Screenshot Queen of PS - EX GM - Strawberries <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2008, 02:34:53 pm »
Hmmmmm, how about everyone take a chill pill?

The Dev's CAN'T tell you when the server will be up. Simply because they don't have it in their country, the Dev are all over the place in this wonderful world of ours. I believe the server is in Singapore (Please someone correct me if I am wrong :) ). The server from what I understand when it crashes will reset it's self. If it doesn't then we have bigger issue's and have to wait a long while till someone can service the server. This is why we always get the "Please be patient, the server will be up soon(TM)." So try as you might you will not get a definite answer.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 02:42:39 pm by zorbels »
   I've been outside, it's overrated and the graphics suck!

Vorodot

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2008, 02:40:41 pm »
Oh, shut up. It'll be up when it's up.

I usually don't bother responding to this kind of comments but you just don't know when to stop.
So what if I asked the same question again. "There is no stupid question, only a stupid answer."  If people are asking the same question over and over again what does that tell you? That they are annoying or that they would really like a more meaningful answer to their question?
Judging by what you've posted here I guess you go for annoying... well aren't you a smart one...
I personally think rudeness is a lot more annoying than someone asking the same question. A lot more!!!

« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 02:53:50 pm by Vorodot »

Kaityra

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2008, 02:43:02 pm »
And the answer is "Soon(TM)" because it is often hard to tell how long the work will take. Just recently there had been this switch of hardware and the estimated time was about 8 hours (please correct me if I'm wrong here) but in the end it was 2 or 3 days...and players were complaining because they were given the "couple of hours" estimate.

Kaityra

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2008, 02:45:47 pm »
Ha, take a guess why, Einstein! I'll give you a hint: It's not because they're stupid or annoying.
IT IS BECAUSE THEY ARE NEW PLAYERS!!!
Most of the new people don't know about http://laanx.fragnetics.com. Did you know about it before you installed the game? I guess you did, Mr. Know-It-All, but maybe most of the rest of us didn't.

Sorry, but I really have enough of your insults.

zorbels

• Forum Addict
  • Screenshot Queen of PS - EX GM - Strawberries <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2008, 02:49:38 pm »
Quote from: Vorodot
I usually don't bother responding to this kind of comments but you just don't know when to stop.

So it seems neither can you.  Admittedly Raa's comment was rude. We all know this. No need to keep bringing it up. Lets move on please ........

@ The Newbies: BTW just because your a newbie doesn't mean you can plead ignorance to the information provided to you. READ people READ!
   I've been outside, it's overrated and the graphics suck!

Vorodot

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2008, 02:53:05 pm »
Sorry, but I really have enough of your insults.

Oops, Sorry Kaityra!!! For whatever reason I though you and Raa were the same person.
Sorry didn't mean it... I've deleted it from my post. Please remove it from yours too.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 02:55:14 pm by Vorodot »