Author Topic: The Server  (Read 5140 times)

noetic

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
The Server
« on: June 24, 2008, 08:48:23 am »
Hi Guys just a little query. Im wondering why you're using the latest ubuntu as a server, i would of thought freeBSD would of been the way to go and also any hope of a europe server  ::)

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
Re: The Server
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 08:57:16 am »
planeshift does not pay for the server so we work with what we are given.

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 10:07:53 am »
Why would FreeBSD be better than Ubuntu Server Edition?
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

noetic

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 10:42:24 am »
Because FreeBSD is the most used server across the net and well stable and to my knowledge its never been compromised. the ubuntu server thats being used is the latest and greatest bleeding edge i just thought something more stable would be used but if thats what they are given then i supose beggers cant be choosers :D

Mythryndel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 05:37:18 pm »
Not to start a flame war, but preference plays more of a part than a claim of "never been compromised". FreeBSD and a lot of the BSDs in general haven't got as much attention over the last 10 years as Linux, and so the toys and tools to create something like this are not always ported to the BSDs.

I personally do not prefer Ubuntu, especially as a server, but I use Linux on all of my desktops and servers and have "never been compromised."

*knocks on wood*

To each his own... as long as I get to play with as few server outages as possible... :)

noetic

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 07:19:38 pm »
Yeah you know that!!!!

solusthebutcher

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 11:38:49 am »
the Unbuntu server edition works great. Though, you could try using the SUSE platform
anyways, the servers wont connect anyways so something needs a fix.
i enjoy the game, so please let me play

d egale

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 12:28:05 am »
Because FreeBSD is the most used server across the net and well stable and to my knowledge its never been compromised. the ubuntu server thats being used is the latest and greatest bleeding edge i just thought something more stable would be used but if thats what they are given then i supose beggers cant be choosers :D

just for your info the stability of the server has more or less nothing to do with the server OS itself but more to do with the {geeze whats the word....} the ps server code {yea lets go with that} anyways the PS server code isnt the highest in stability and is currently in alpha staged testing so dont expect a perfect no crash server from this game also before anyone tells me that PS is not an alpha staged game the devs do say its alpha and the devs know all so yea have fun and the whole never been compromised thing i doubt thats true i know linux is incredably strong against attackers but im shure its been done maby somebody finding a way to brake into there home server to see what the problem is and how to stop someone from doing the same thing.... anyways no computor is like a vault because a vault altho keeping things out also keeps things in and without letting things in and/or out you canot have a server.... i know i wouldent have a chance in heck of braking into it but im shure somewhere out there could do it preatty easaly
Calak: screwing up advisor mode since 2009

enderandrew

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • Caamasi Disciples
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 02:53:22 pm »
This is my two tria.

BSD has often claimed the most stable networking stack on the planet, and great networking performance.  So when I've looked into making my own web servers, I looked for benchmarks and found that while 5-10 years ago, BSD was better at networking than Linux, they both seem to perform as well today.  BSD claims to be more secure, but security is rarely problematic on a Linux box.

If you are choosing Linux, I wouldn't choose Ubuntu for a number of reasons, primarily that they push out bleeding edge stuff without testing it.  Their "stable" releases have all been very problematic at the day of release, and their testing branch included a kernel patch which permanently bricked E1000 Intel gigabit NICs.  They don't have the developer staff that Red Hat and Novell have.  Their packages just aren't high quality.  I'd take openSUSE or CentOS to build my server on.  That is a professional opinion, but it is still just my opinion.

However, if you want to look past Linux to alternatives, OpenSolaris is going to be just as secure as BSD, and probably provide even better performance.  The kernel is great.  IO handling is great.  And ZFS is a killer file-system.

That being said, I don't expect them to switch the OS anytime soon.
http://caamasi-disciples.com - A SW:TOR Republic guild focused on casual players who want to play "the Good Guy."

Joneswilliamsc

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 05:36:51 am »
Hi Guys just a little query. Im wondering why you're using the latest ubuntu as a server, i would of thought freeBSD would of been the way to go and also any hope of a europe server.

Well I have a windows 7 at home but I have ubuntu at office. So I have to work at homw on windows and at office Linux. But as I like the features of ubuntu that much that I planning to get ubuntu at my home. As it has really very great functionalities and I like its al of the  trick too much.

RlyDontKnow

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 08:42:38 am »
Hi Guys just a little query. Im wondering why you're using the latest ubuntu as a server, i would of thought freeBSD would of been the way to go and also any hope of a europe server  ::)

tbh I doubt crystalspace compiles on bsd after all. therefore it cannot be used. while there was a project to port things to freebsd ages ago, this isn't active since years.