Author Topic: Server being upgraded...(.4.01) June 30, 2008  (Read 7646 times)

Velh Krome

Re: Server being upgraded...
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2008, 12:01:23 pm »
Thanks Caarrie, appreciated!

natsukisensei

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2008, 12:09:44 pm »
Is the Mac updater supposed to be an application? When I open the updater, it opens a few files to revert back to, but doesn't do anything else. When I open it again, it just replaces the old backup files. Either way, the client does not appear to have been updated. Should I simply reinstall?

Baulele

• Wayfarer
  • i never said i was a good girl
    • View Profile
    • CubeMice
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2008, 12:16:18 pm »
The Mac updater doesn't appear to do anything...  If you look at the XML file created it points to: http://www.xordan.com/downloads.html  (OSX version is a 344MB download)...  however it doesn't work  :'(

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2008, 12:16:56 pm »
Is the Mac updater supposed to be an application? When I open the updater, it opens a few files to revert back to, but doesn't do anything else. When I open it again, it just replaces the old backup files. Either way, the client does not appear to have been updated. Should I simply reinstall?
[Sun 12:50:55 pm] <+Xordan> Caarrie: osx updater has permissions problems

Mmasemo

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2008, 12:25:39 pm »
Excuse me.When could I play with planeshift again? :woot:
I think that i don't understand.Server status is often off. what happens?

natsukisensei

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2008, 12:29:08 pm »
[Sun 12:50:55 pm] <+Xordan> Caarrie: osx updater has permissions problems
Ah, thank you very much.  :sweatdrop:

Diere

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2008, 12:30:19 pm »
 :oops:  For Windows Users only - -

Just a note for those like myself to who tried to update right after the annoucement and had nothing but problems, I would suggest backing up and special files and reinstalling, then updating again. That did work for me and it is 4.01 as stated above. I did have an issue with the OpenAL32.dll which was located in the PS folder. It didn't seem to like that so I renamed it. I had an earlier version of that file and it works fine. Now I just need the server to come back and hope it all works ok.

If you need a different openal32.dll file, I put one at this location: http://www.filefactory.com/file/e81c55/n/OpenAL32_dll  (sorry for any popups)

Xordan

• Crystal Space Developer
  • Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2008, 12:36:50 pm »
Diere; The latest version of that dll on the updater should work fine.

Lanarel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2008, 12:53:35 pm »
Often the server is down because the software crashed due to bugs, and it will restart soon. This time it is down because it is upgraded to a new version. How long this takes, depends on how many problems are found :) Sometimes it is only hours, but it may easily take a day (or more if there are really problems). A new release may mean new stuff though and will fix some bugs, so this is a good thing :)

Mmasemo

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2008, 01:12:27 pm »
Often the server is down because the software crashed due to bugs, and it will restart soon. This time it is down because it is upgraded to a new version. How long this takes, depends on how many problems are found :) Sometimes it is only hours, but it may easily take a day (or more if there are really problems). A new release may mean new stuff though and will fix some bugs, so this is a good thing :)
Thanks for answer

Diere

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2008, 01:26:04 pm »

I couldn't help but notice that when I ran the updater again, it reverted back to an earlier openAL32.dll. Funny how its the same one I had  :-X

You are all doing a great job btw. I am sure all of the PS community appreciates all the work the programers/testers/everyone is doing. Updates are good! Things that work properly are even better  \\o//

Elvors

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2008, 02:17:58 pm »

I couldn't help but notice that when I ran the updater again, it reverted back to an earlier openAL32.dll.

That's exactly what was to be expected.
The installer checksums all files of the installation. Those that have an unexpected checksum are replaced with files from the PS server. IOW the updater nails your installation to what the server expects to see, regardless of DLL version.

(It's good they do it that way. A newer version of openAL32.dll might be incompatible with the way PS uses it, resulting in bugs that are hard to reproduce because the dev has a different DLL and isn't aware of that fact. This situation is part of what's known as "DLL hell" in Windows developer circles.)

kisa_sama125

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2008, 05:12:45 pm »
so when is the new server/client gonna be ready for download? and where should i download it?

:whistling:

He never stops humping XD lol!

migueltherocker

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2008, 06:13:51 pm »
wait, i dont get it
i just downloaded the game last night
am i so unlucky that i got it the day before they made the update?
am i going to have to download the new version to be able to play?
i havent been able to play since i downloaded and am looking forward greatly to playing this game
Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.
-Robert Frost

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2008, 06:28:35 pm »
Use the updater tool, miguel.
Before doing that, check this: http://hydlaa.com/smf/index.php?topic=32812.msg378346;topicseen#msg378346
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.