Author Topic: Server Offline - August 29, 2008 through Sep 09, 2008  (Read 23270 times)

Mathy Stockington

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Server Offline
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2008, 09:51:48 am »
It is 100% better then my server at work of which is on site. We have nothing to complain about at all on the server side. While the server is down, might I suggest, write a story for the forums.
* Mathy Stockington goes out for walk.

Good idea, right?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 01:13:04 pm by Mathy Stockington »
Life is lived forwards, but understood backwards

Joemama246

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2008, 10:45:21 am »
It would be nice if they got the website up, it would give me something to stare at.......

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2008, 01:00:27 pm »
It would be nice if they got the website up, it would give me something to stare at.......

the website is hosted on the same machine that is down. the website will return when the physical server is back up and running.

TheKing8504

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2008, 01:25:08 pm »
I was not able to play last night, this morning, or now..on my lunch break.  I have heard that it has been up, but then was down again in a matter of minutes.  I realize this game is free, so you are limited to the quality of server you can use, so quit rubbing it in people's faces.  I also realized the developers have their own lives to live, but they should know that if they are going to put up a game, it becomes a big responsiblity and should not have started allowing people to play the beta, if they are not able to put the time in to keep the players happy.  So don't reply to me and tell me how the developers have other aspects of life to deal with, or how if a better server is wanted, than someone should find it, sarcasm is not necessary, so don't waste my time with replies of that nature.

Joemama246

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2008, 01:31:05 pm »
* Joemama246 applauds to the speech

Mythryndel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2008, 01:53:16 pm »
Sure... it sucks that the server is down. Sure it sucks that we can't play the game we have all gotten attached to. Sure we can be bitter and angry about it. But the fact remains that it is down until it gets fixed. I don't like it any more than anyone else, but I don't have the hardware or internet connection to replace what exists right now... so all I can do is wait.

The reason people get defensive and flippant is because they get roasted over an open flame any time something:

A. Doesn't work right

B. Doesn't work the way the player expected it to

C. Doesn't do X at all

D. Does do Y

E. All of the above and more

So... cut them some slack and we'll all get to play again when things are fixed.

Piker

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2008, 02:00:51 pm »
Seriously, some of you are really rude  ???

Just be patient, it will be up when it's up.

fabodhuim

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2008, 02:05:20 pm »
Fortunately I misunderstood the English language  :whistling:
sorry for the " coup de gueule"  French grumpy   :sweatdrop:

Peace and love  :innocent:

Fabien

HolyPhoenix

• Traveller
  • Geek-Wannabe, and planeshift fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2008, 02:16:03 pm »
Wow, I cannot believe that anyone that plays this game would speak so badly.  Of course the second page is full of people who understand.  The first page though seems like many people are out trying to pull something like they are a customer.  When I got this game recently, I got it because it seemed like more of a community than a company.  In fact, I don't see anyway that they make money off of this except by donation. 

Why complain, it is fun, got some neat features, free, AND OPEN SOURCE!!!  Lol.  Plus, it runs a lot better and doesn't use nearly as many resources on my laptop as the mmorpgs that seem like companies out for money when they make it.

Instead of getting after them because there server went down, how about we all party here while we wait?  We should all be pretty good rp-ers considering you are suppose to role play your character.   :sorcerer: 
Where there art open source, there out monkeys and other bits of randomness.

Edellin

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2008, 02:20:16 pm »
@TheKing8504: You talk as if you have bought a guarantee somewhere which says that the game will always be working for you  :P ... such a claim would be perhaps legitimate for online games like World of Warcraft where you have to pay - but you don't have to.
I don't think there exists such a big responsebility for the developers as you describe it to keep you happy. You should have known from the beginning that this game is far from perfect and is still under development, which means that there are and still will be in the future hours and days where planeshift will not be running - my advice to you is: get used to it or stop playing it.

Duraza

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Want to know the truth now?
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2008, 02:24:23 pm »
I was not able to play last night, this morning, or now..on my lunch break.  I have heard that it has been up, but then was down again in a matter of minutes.  I realize this game is free, so you are limited to the quality of server you can use, so quit rubbing it in people's faces.  I also realized the developers have their own lives to live, but they should know that if they are going to put up a game, it becomes a big responsiblity and should not have started allowing people to play the beta, if they are not able to put the time in to keep the players happy.  So don't reply to me and tell me how the developers have other aspects of life to deal with, or how if a better server is wanted, than someone should find it, sarcasm is not necessary, so don't waste my time with replies of that nature.

Relax, it is just a game after all. If it matters to you so much that you can't play it maybe you should take the advice the GM's and Devs are giving you and actually spend your time finding a solution :P . Also, since the game is Open Source I don't think anyone working for it is really 'required' to keep the players happy. We aren't paying them after all.
Saggi Lezeheso, The Whisper's Jest
Demoik and Rioqura, The Immortal Harrow
Vertum, Will of Dakkru

Duraza Darkom, Slayer of Kittens

freeharte

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2008, 02:32:36 pm »
I'm betting the devs are as annoyed and frustrated as everybody else.   

They do a good job.  This is not their fault.

Joemama246

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2008, 02:39:25 pm »
Man, i'm not complaining, and I think people are making a bigger deal than it is, instead off staring at the screen, do what the devs arn't doing [hopefully]. Go eat a sammich, visit the creek, play some football, [if you are in the USA that is}, eat a pie, watch Tv. You've got some options.

MeinyMacminington

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2008, 03:55:30 pm »

Okay, so everyone has already talked about you being rude, how you should just relax because it's free, and well...  lets face it, if you tried to play the game last night, this morning, AND on your lunch break, you might have a little issue to work out, but I'm more concerned about where you said they shouldn't have released the beta to the public.

Personally, I think it was a great idea to have done so and the reason for that is they are allowing players to report bugs AND request new features.  I'm sure you can imagine how much quicker it would be to have hundreds or thousands of people finding and reporting bugs rather than a small amount of professionals, and it fits quite well with the free game budget.  And games like WoW or Ever Quest were designed by one team, released, and that's it...  If players have a good idea that's too bad (Or so I think). 
But PlaneShift allows us, the players, to help them think of cool features for the game eventually making this game more than enjoyable to EVERYONE.

Until a few weeks ago, I thought the only free game out their with this many features was RuneScape even though not all features are free and well...  We've seen the graphics on that lol.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 03:58:28 pm by MeinyMacminington »

Joemama246

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2008, 04:05:46 pm »
I think with a name like that you have an issue to work out, but further more, we just said to stop argueing, and you start arguing again. What is the point? It will get you nowhere! You should just go do something else and forget about it for a while then sit here complaining about the server, complaining will not make it come back faster!