Author Topic: Server Offline - August 29, 2008 through Sep 09, 2008  (Read 23265 times)

MeinyMacminington

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Re: Server Offline
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2008, 04:39:31 pm »
I wasn't complaining, I was expressing an opinion, and my "something else" which you just told us to do is forum surfing in between of playing other games and doing chores...  And I was also trying to possibly make him understand the perks of playing the beta to ease his temper.  If this is frustrating you so much, maybe you're the one who should...

"Go eat a sammich, visit the creek, play some football, [if you are in the USA that is}, eat a pie, watch Tv."

ps.  By replying to the last post...  and to this one...  You're arguing... :o
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 04:41:53 pm by MeinyMacminington »

HolyPhoenix

• Traveller
  • Geek-Wannabe, and planeshift fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2008, 04:42:59 pm »
So, any news on the status of the server?  I am hoping the hard drive didn't crash.  Icky.  Considering how long it's been down it seems worse than just a restart though.   
Where there art open source, there out monkeys and other bits of randomness.

MeinyMacminington

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2008, 04:46:53 pm »
lol, yeah...  I read origionally that they just had to reboot, and then then I heard the machine is down, but everything I read that sounded credible stated that their is no time estimate...  Most common theory that I've read is between now and a week...

Rizin

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2008, 05:59:31 pm »
The appropriate Dev's have been in contact with Fragnetics and they are working with us to get to the bottom of our server issues.

A big thank you to Fragnetics and a request to the community to please be patient while we get to the bottom of the issue. Please be kind to each other and nice to this thread. We all miss the game and want everything back up and running, fighting amongst the community won't get that to happen any faster.

Dreamcrafter

« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2008, 06:10:04 pm »
I was not able to play last night, this morning, or now..on my lunch break. [...] don't reply to me and tell me how the developers have other aspects of life to deal with, or how if a better server is wanted, than someone should find it, sarcasm is not necessary, so don't waste my time with replies of that nature.

Server crashes happen.  I run my own free, text-based RPG game on the MUX platform--and I know how irksome it is when the server I pay for goes down.  That doesn't mean it isn't a good server, it means that unless you can afford to have a major network of servers, the server you pay for will sometimes go down.  It's a simple fact of life.  Moreover, PlaneShift is a very openly developmental game.  If you disagree with playing on a game that's in development... why play?  Why be so set on playing that you've tried "to play last night, this morning, or now..on [your] lunch break"?  You knew what you were getting into when you signed up to play the game, my friend, so please... just relax.  Have a cup of tea (as I'm doing), and maybe plan out some stuff you can do when the game comes back up again.  I think downtime like this can be a good thing--time to plan RP, work on character stories, etc.  In my case, it's going to give me one less excuse not to catch up on some work I need to do.  So... let's just all try to be as relaxed about all this as possible.

And remember, in the immortal words of Christian and Satine: "Come what may!"

Bamko

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2008, 06:15:14 pm »
yeah, what Rizin said.

I know a lil off topic.. but hey, want something to do, how about a simple addictive flashgame like: http://www.handdrawngames.com/DesktopTD/Game.asp

or an even simpler diversion, go to snotling.org, register and go to "fightingoblins" in the left column.  You make a goblin and train him against others.  no graphics (and I mean NO graphics!) but I find it fun somehow.  be sure to try your mettle against Olota Ginka, (my char)  he is tough, but fair  :thumbup:

of course there is a lot other things you can do.  But as always, those are my 2 tria.

Of course check back at the server page http://laanx.fragnetics.com/index.php?page=stats to see when back up!

Put that in your favorite places, but be sure to reload it when you look at it!  when the server is up, it will load, and also tell you if the game is on (offline vs number of players) and tell you if NPC server is on (death of MOB is some number, usually greater than 10)

I hope that keeps you happy for as long as it takes.  Remember, this is a gift horse, so don't be looking it in the mouth!  (an Idiom, google it?)

Joemama246

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2008, 06:19:49 pm »
The appropriate Dev's have been in contact with Fragnetics and they are working with us to get to the bottom of our server issues.

A big thank you to Fragnetics and a request to the community to please be patient while we get to the bottom of the issue. Please be kind to each other and nice to this thread. We all miss the game and want everything back up and running, fighting amongst the community won't get that to happen any faster.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand the problem, i'm just a "restart the thing" kind of guy. Is this an issue that could affect the game  permenently, or is it just a simple problem that the devs. are just trying to handle with caution. I can live with the ladder, but huge problems end games, and no one wants to see that. I am fairly new to Planeshift and don't really know how ofton these "long waits" happen, so if someone might have the good will to explain this in more simple terms would be appriciated.

Mythryndel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2008, 06:25:01 pm »
At this point, it is likely either a significant software problem or a hardware failure.

To put it in simple terms, some piece of the machine is flaking out... possibly a power supply, or a cpu fan or any number of other components. I noticed that the webpage came back for a few minutes last night, so I have to assume it is nothing catastrophic where PS as we know it is dead and gone forever. With the machine being located in a country where none (or few) of the PS devs live, it can often take a couple of days to replace parts or troubleshoot things.

Now... for the record... I am just giving examples of what it could be... I have no more information than has been posted already.

Joemama246

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2008, 12:06:26 pm »
Well, that is 3 days, and his list of games didn't last me. :(

Zzurlosch

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2008, 12:37:56 pm »
Dear Team!

Hehe. this is so much fun every time again: When the server is down for more than 24 hours the posts become always the same.  ;D
I suggest following 3 step solution to the dev team for this problem:
Step 1: Every month the server has to be down for at least three days. But every month some other three days.
Reasons could be: working on the server code,  clean up hardware ( I am serious about. I have done this job, when I was a student.) or some cooling down time for the server hardware needed in Singapure. Everone should know how hot it is there. Whatever, but tell it is important to hold up the high level of performance of PS!
Step 2: Take yourself this three days every month as PS holiday to relax. Do nothing on PS, not even think about. Or use the server to play your own private nasty bad boy PS version together with GMs. Whatever you do, DO NOT work on PS in this time.
Step 3: When you bring the server online again let the server MOTD be something like: "Thank you for your patience and  enjoy the Planeshift experience." or place on the forum how difficult it was this time to get the server run again.
Effect: We will get used to the server beeing offline every month for about three days and you can relax. Ohh, I forgot: It is more the way, that you can do your everyday business more relaxed. Whatever.

Inn case anyone got this message wrong: It was a joke. For something else to read than  "Nanana, why is the server down?, Nanana, when is the server on again?"
The whole PS team does a great job. It works for free! And we are tester, no player. And PS is not even beta. It is alpha! So enjoy the experience. Thank you, team, for the things that work in PS.  :thumbup:

Yours,

Zzurlosch
A good friend will bail you out of jail. A true friend will sit right beside you and say: 'That was real WICKED.'

Xordan

• Crystal Space Developer
  • Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2008, 12:38:30 pm »
No definite info on the problem, still waiting for one of the guys who provide the server to visit the datacentre to see what's up.
However, initial guesses is either serious hardware failure or someone bad using an exploit to get root and then taking the thing down.

Either way, I do have a fairly recent (week or so) backup of the database.

Sen

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2008, 12:46:47 pm »
Thank you for the information, Xordan  \\o//
Your posts are always worth reading

Sen
.....also a saddle that won't pinch the tail. One day!

Eathon

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2008, 12:52:33 pm »
Noooo...
My poor books...

Joemama246

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2008, 01:00:15 pm »
That is perfecly fine with me, is much better than waiting while the dev. team scratches thier head and wonders how to get it back, I'd much rather just earn it back. [Not meant to offend dev. team :sweatdrop:

TheKing8504

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2008, 01:42:30 pm »
Well it's been about 4 days since I was able to log on, does anybody have any new news whatsoever, or do I just need to find another game, because sitting around with nowhere to go  and no one to talk to is irritating the hell outta me.