Author Topic: If Leveling....  (Read 6377 times)

Prolix

Re: If Leveling....
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2009, 12:54:34 pm »
Personally I can see two developers working on competing visions of some particular aspect of the game and having a community to test out their particular vision with the aim of having the best approach ultimately adopted. I would not consider this a forking affair, just concurrent development. Some of these things can be put together in a number of different ways depending on developer expertise or whatever. Someone could come along with a technically advanced design and be completely unable to code it while someone else might have a more simplistic approach that he is able to nail down efficiently in code. You just do not know until you have tried.

Mythryndel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2009, 01:00:34 pm »
@Karyuu... I agree wholeheartedly with your on-topic critique. I would love to see new activities or even just more advanced activities required at higher levels... not simply more time/trias.

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2009, 01:05:50 pm »
Here's the thing, then: will EZ keep the features that Laanx rejects, or will they be removed as well in order to unify the whole game? If the rejected features are kept, my previous point about forking still stands. If they are removed, there is no issue and it really is just more of a testing server than Laanx.

@Mythryndel: Thanks ;) Unfortunately this is hard to come by in any MMO, even those already developed. Repetition is difficult to avoid. (I think the best end-game content was available in Ryzom, which allowed players to create their own scripted scenarios and thus expand their playtime endlessly with others.) The key is just having a lot of variety, and that takes a long time to develop. Eep.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Bamko

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2009, 01:12:04 pm »
....was made easier, would you prefer it? Being able to max everything in a couple of weeks for example.

If yes, would it not mean that everyone was, rather quickly, equally leet and defeat the object of you levelling up in the first place?

If no, should levelling take even longer than it does now?

If niether, is the system perfect as it is?

As I mentioned before, with too much reply to off topic discussions of wipes and stuff, I think it is pretty well balanced.  I do not think everyone should be able to, or want to spend the time to be able to make perfect swords, axes, daggers, be maxed out on all the ways of magic, and such.  it should be, as it is now, a real achievement to max out on any skill/ability.  your first perfect sword should be an event to hold a party, IMO.

The only Asterisk is on repair armor.  I have met quite a few who could make a perfect sword (on Fragnetics, not here on EZPCUSA, and check it out, that is the section of the forum we are discussing this... ) but I do not think I ever met anyone who could repair Platemail.  I know I worked a lot and even I, one who "grinds" a lot, gave up on it.   To make it more balanced, you could give unseen points for Blacksmithing to apply to armor repair, maybe, and this is just a suggestion, for every 5 points of BS maybe 3 points towards Chainmail repair, and 2 points towards Platemail repair.  that way, if you have say level 10 on repair armor, you can work on your blacksmithing skill to help get you to be able to repair your chainmail or platemail.

Currently (In fragnetics again) PPle seem to run around either in leather or nekkid, and don platemail only for special rare events, so not to ruin it while hunting Ulbers, for example.  Maybe that is the intention, but I think it would be reasonable to buff the Repair armor skill a bit. 

super high level magic training is hard, long time, and really expensive?  yeah, I kind of expect it would be.  I remember during the Guild war on fragnetics people were wearing 2 brown way rings, and looking for any weapons that would buff them up even a little, because they were maxed out on Brown way, and with that, they were able to take out any sword, axe or Crystal Way Mage.  that tells me that magic is not too weak, as I hear a lot.  When you stand no chance against someone who is using one Way, because you are not, that really essentially makes it the only reasonable way to follow (excect some CW for healing, of course). AS Mu talks about http://mu.ranter.net/theory/ that can limit the options people play.  trouble is it is nearly impossible to see what effects are, until you test them.  I would of never guessed th power of the Brown way before the guildwar.  and Bamko on Fragnetics has a decently high Brown Way.

There Pizik, hope that helps.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 01:13:46 pm by Bamko »

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2009, 01:49:03 pm »
I think you are all confused.  The new server was created so that non-RPers could have their own game and community.  Both servers are testing servers.

It was decided that everyone will be happier if PlaneShift is split into two communities.
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

Mythryndel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2009, 02:04:00 pm »
@Zanzibar... I agree with you for the most part here... don't die of shock... well... anyway... The COMMUNITIES will be different, but the game will largely be the same... the DEVS will be the same... just a bit of feature testing will be done on one server or the other first to fine-tune it before applying it across the board.

Quin

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2009, 02:08:44 pm »
I think you are all confused.  ...

I think you are confused about the topic

So far we have:
2 or 3 "we need a new way to level"
1 "leveling is ok, just needs to be tweaked in a spot or two"
1 "to balance current leveling grind with fun, we need more info on player expectations and Devs idea of a fair grind"
Quinidain Sherkhan : Enkidukai knife fighter and Starlight Hunter , living life one rat hide at a time

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2009, 02:17:28 pm »
I'm not confused at all, my post is directly related to previous posts in the thread.
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

Mythryndel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2009, 02:20:54 pm »
@Quin I think you are pretty close... I think there is a general agreement that (with the exception of armor/weapon repair) that starting levels are ok... and well balanced. The real issue is really beyond level 10 or so... It ceases to be fun or even rewarding for each level gained at a certain point... and it just takes more and more time and trias... If there were alternate activities or if different, but related, activities gave better practice at higher levels it would be better.

Example...

Sword making... you start out with the ability to make 4 blades... and handles... the only thing I can tell is that the bigger blades take more time to hammer out... but give the same practice as a small blade. If you could only make a small blade at first... and then could start making the larger blades with higher skill... but could progress quicker at higher levels by making the larger blades... this would be both more realistic and provide benefits to training additional levels without making it simply take longer.

I wholeheartedly agree that it would be nice to get a dev perspective on what is desired in training!

Xordan

• Crystal Space Developer
  • Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2009, 05:14:57 pm »
Here's the thing, then: will EZ keep the features that Laanx rejects, or will they be removed as well in order to unify the whole game? If the rejected features are kept, my previous point about forking still stands. If they are removed, there is no issue and it really is just more of a testing server than Laanx.

If the people on EZ enjoy those features then they will be kept. I see no point in removing something that people enjoy for the sake of unity.

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2009, 05:20:11 pm »
Then you can't really argue in the same vein that the game won't look forked. EZP will keep floating around with features Laanx doesn't have, and feel like a different game if they keep adding up.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Xordan

• Crystal Space Developer
  • Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2009, 05:26:50 pm »
Then you can't really argue in the same vein that the game won't look forked. EZP will keep floating around with features Laanx doesn't have, and feel like a different game if they keep adding up.

The code base will be the same, any features undesired on laanx will be disabled with a flag somewhere, maybe in a config file.
Whether or not they appear to be slightly different from a gameplay perspective is irrelevant. :) I very much doubt that there will end up being a big difference anyway.
Most of the things that won't be enabled on laanx would probably be minor. I just can't see say, two different magic systems.

Farren Kutter

• Veteran
  • Death is only the beginning. Then true life begins
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2009, 05:29:12 pm »
Laanx will be more revolving around Roleplay, EZPC will have more activated features for non-RPers to have fun with.

To answer the original, question, I think leveling should be easier. This coming from someone who trained 50 levels of sword in 5 days when given the funds to do so.

I maxed my stuff once, but it was easier to do so back then with a month or two of leveling every so often. Not grinding for several hours every day (except that whole 50 lvls of sword bit, I leveled all day for 5 days >.>)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 05:31:29 pm by Farren Kutter »

StitchedChin

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2009, 05:50:32 pm »
Personally, I was hoping leveling would be easier on the EZPC Server as well as rarer items showing up more, too.  If everything is exactly the same as Laanx, then I'd just start another character on there instead of doing the work on a server that doesn't seem "alive".  Also limits should be taking off so people could level as high as they wanted, make it a PLers Utopia.

Divide the PPs needed by trainers by 10 and multiply the practice points and experience gained when executing the skill by 10.  Oh, and make every NPC a trainer of every skill...  that'd speed things up ;D.  And it is far from perfect, but the code would need to be rewritten for some of my ideas and it is a subjective subject anyhow, so I'll pipe down...

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2009, 07:19:56 pm »
Regaerdless of what would be best for testing should we not also ask what would be best for the main server? Wait, that might be a duplicate... or maybe not... or maybe... So whats the deal? One game or two?
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(