Author Topic: December 11, 2009: server down?  (Read 3822 times)

maui

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
December 11, 2009: server down?
« on: December 11, 2009, 11:15:33 am »
hello all i was try to play but when i tried before it said me the server was off.
I've been to check on fragnetics if it was true or just a problem with the new install, but when i land on the page it say me :"Sorry, your request for the website was denied
Your access request was denied due to one or more of the following reasons:

You had tried to access the Government Intranet Websites, which are restricted to NUS Staff. Please take note that due to IDA requirements:

NUS Staff is granted access to GeBiz. All other access to Government Intranet websites are denied.

Wireless users must first login to NUS WebVPN.

Remote access, i.e., when you are physically outside NUS campus is currently not allowed, even if you have established VPN connection."
What it does mean???
is just a problem for all or just me ?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 01:50:20 pm by neko kyouran »

weltall

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
Re: December 11, 2009: server down?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 11:16:17 am »
fragnetics is upgrading ram.

Borric

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 11:23:29 am »
Wow, I still remembered the password for my old account (and it hasn't been deleted).

So is this the same reason why the "contribute" link doesn't work?

Kind of annoying. I haven't been here for years, and I decided to wait for the stable version of 0.5, but now I can't download it (A mirror seemed to work, but I think those are only for the windows x32 versions?). So, any idea on how long it'll take until  I can download the torrent?

peeg

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 11:37:08 am »
Uploaded the torrents I'm seeding here :) Have fun.
[ PSde ] - Join the german community!
Peeg Chaoswind - Mentor in The Rangers Of Yliakum

Borric

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 11:38:03 am »
Thank you very much.

neko kyouran

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 01:51:09 pm »
changed the thread title to be a little more obvious to help people out.

future updates as to when the server is back up and other things will be posted in this thread.

raffe

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 02:04:04 pm »
changed the thread title to be a little more obvious to help people out.

future updates as to when the server is back up and other things will be posted in this thread.

Actually I think that a better idea is that you could post important things, like servers are down, on http://www.planeshift.it/index.html

I think the information is more easy to find there, than in a post somewhere in the forum. And no one needs to be angry when many post about the same thing in many posts...

When I got to http://laanx.fragnetics.com/ I get this (like the first post):
http://img62.imageshack.us/i/laanx.jpg
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 02:49:45 pm by neko kyouran »

neko kyouran

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 02:51:20 pm »
Only a very select few people have access to updating the main site and it's a much longer process to do so.  It's much easier to just make a post on the forums and nudge people in the proper direction.

raffe

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 03:14:11 pm »
Only a very select few people have access to updating the main site and it's a much longer process to do so.  It's much easier to just make a post on the forums and nudge people in the proper direction.
  • But 'you' never make the first post on the forums. 'You' just wait for the players to 'find out' there is a problem, and for them to post here.
  • So if the main page is so difficult, why don't post here before a user finds out there is a problem?
  • Why not make a proper post a few days before in 'Server Status' before you take down the servers?
  • And if you KNOW you will take down a server in about, say, 5 days, why not say to the 'few people' that 'have access to updating the main site' to post it on the main site 5 days before you do that?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 03:30:11 pm by raffe »

neko kyouran

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 03:26:23 pm »
I'm just the forum moderator, I have no knowledge over the servers status more than the players do.  That's another departments area.

And AFAIK, the way it works, is that the server goes down, people notice it as such and make a ruckus on IRC that they can't log in/it's the end of the world/we're all going to die, a dev with the ability to check does some looking around and if needed, asks the server owner, Fragnetics if they know what's up, and replies back here with that information. 

You'd have more ground behind your point if things were run differently, but this is a project run on donated time and resources; that includes the server/hosting.  We're given what we are and make the best we can with it.

raffe

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 03:30:31 pm »
I know that this a volunteering project and open source and that all involved are volunteers. But communication is not about money or service, this is about common respect for others.

If 'someone' is updating the 'server', it can't be a suprise for everybody involved. Somebody should know that before, and can post here.

:love:
Note, I love Planeshift. I'm sorry, but the information around Planeshift does not work. Information should come before things happen, not after. If the information comes after it is a declaration of a disruption. Information is better than disruption.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 03:48:12 pm by raffe »

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 03:49:53 pm »
All good and well to point out but the update of the server ram was done on the part of the people DONATE the server to us. They did so WITHOUT telling us, FOR FREE, as a courtesy, to improve YOUR gaming experience.

We had no way of knowing and our website maintainer is Talad, a professional with a very busy life. If you want to complain please PM him and desist with the vitriol in this thread.

Enjoy PlaneShift Responsibly,

XilliX.

raffe

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 03:55:18 pm »
I see that what I write looks like I'm just whining. Therefore, I hereby offer my services to give everyone relevant information before things happen on PlaneShift servers. I can do that here on the forums. The only thing I need is to get the info before things happends, and I will post it here in the right place.

And you could tell the people who DONATE the server to us that we love them, but we would appreciate if they informed us before they do changes (Im sure THEY know before they do changes, I can not believe that it is a impulsive decision)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 04:10:35 pm by raffe »

Lhaa

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 05:45:27 am »
(...unless this forum isn't for status news anymore)
Sorry for opening a new one however but I guess not all players randomly run the client like I just did, and they somewhat will want to know. ;)

Sen

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2009, 07:01:03 am »
Was somewhere a time mentioned? I like very much that they give the information that it will take >6 hours... but from when on? :D

Sen
.....also a saddle that won't pinch the tail. One day!