Author Topic: Book / sketches update.  (Read 5181 times)

weltall

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
Book / sketches update.
« on: August 19, 2010, 02:28:22 am »
Books and sketches inner working has been changed radically in the server side: they won't make a new item any more, like before, in place they will keep the basic book (the item you buy which was then changed in another when bought) as their base and store the book/sketch content in the particular instance of the item (any item in a slot is an instance, a stack of items is an instance too, when you do crafting you destroy and make a lot of instances of items just to make it clear).

In the next days I will proceed to update the servers to the last version starting from ezpcusa, so new fixes and functionalities (mostly to who has a more up to date client than the current binary release) and this big change explained above will go in the production servers.

What does it mean in a practical basis?

Various thing some positive some not so positive.

First of all, as it's obvious, there will be a downtime, which will be higher for zeroping, considered the bigger db, which will have to be backup, and then have a script run in order to convert the old books to the new format.

Second. If a book is missing an instance (due to old code all books would be preserved even lost ones or available only on deleted characters) all it's content will be *lost* from the conversion process. A database from 2 months ago says there are about 6000 of these cases. So, if you have a book you've lost due to selling it to a merchant or for other reasons, it would be better if you took the time before this upgrade to have it recovered by a dev or gm as after this procedure it will be more complex to retrieve them (having to load an old db and extract them by hand while now it just needs an /item "bookname").

Third. As all the books are run through a script and converted to their instances problems might happen: I've tested it carefully on a real db and it worked well but let's say ... better safe than sorry. DO A BACKUP OF YOUR BOOKS and SKETCHES!

Forth: gm and devs won't be able to recover your books any more if lost due to selling them to merchants or any other destructive practice for the item instance, this isn't the case for setting items as they will be created in the old style, being game data and not player data, but will affect the new and old books from the time of the update upon. While it's still possible to load a backup of the db and load the book from there you can't be assured we have such a backup or the time for it. So proceed like if you knew there is no such a backup of your precious book for the future.

Fifth: due to the fact  23929 books and sketches won't be any more in the basic items, they won't be loaded any more on boot up, but only when your character items are loaded. This will mean at least 30/60 seconds less of wait time when the server is restarted and less cpu/ram stress on the server.

sixth: As now books are taking their base from the original item, changes to it will change your book characteristics. Things like weight, size, mesh, icons will change according to the basic item just like any other item in game (excluding random loot for now)

seventh: probably the most visible change to players.  Now it's possible to name books in any way as they aren't basic items any more. So you won't get any more those funny names with numbers after the book or have to call your books with an ending number or something similar in order to be able to do copies.

I think that's all enjoy and let me remind me again: BACK THEM UP!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 08:53:34 am by weltall »

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Book / sketches update.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 02:42:04 am »
(^seventh)
__

It will be not easy to remember possibly lost books now if that mistake happened months and years ago... About 6000 lost books is quite a number. How could you help those in doubt discovering if there are any books they might have interest in them being recovered?

Do books previously owned by now deleted chars belong to that category? (Did someone say "Octarchial yard sale"?)

And even more important: What is the deadline for making backups?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 02:43:45 am by LigH »

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

weltall

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 02:56:51 am »
(^seventh)
__

It will be not easy to remember possibly lost books now if that mistake happened months and years ago... About 6000 lost books is quite a number. How could you help those in doubt discovering if there are any books they might have interest in them being recovered?

Do books previously owned by now deleted chars belong to that category? (Did someone say "Octarchial yard sale"?)

And even more important: What is the deadline for making backups?

i could get the names of those items but that's the maximum i could do generically.
yes any book owned by deleted characters, sold or otherwise destroyed belongs to that category.
probably just some days depending on the success of ezpcusa upgrade which will be today or tomorrow.
I've tested the upgrade process with a zeroping db dump and it went with success so probably nothing will be lost and all will go well as far as you still own the item but better to always backup things being a bid db change.

weltall

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 03:19:04 am »
these books will be deleted from the server due to the upgrade process:
http://planeshift.zeroping.it/result
http://planeshift.ezpcusa.com/register/result

no one owns these books at this time.

Geoni

• Veteran
  • -
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 06:54:40 am »
So basically every existing in game book/sketch is going to be deleted and wiped, and a new book/sketch system is to arrive in the near future?

-sig by sarras

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 07:14:17 am »
No.

Every book and sketch which belongs to an existing character should be converted to the new system (if it works well, the backup was not really required).

Every book and sketch which does not belong to an existing character will not be converted and therefore lost.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

Sen

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 08:24:04 am »
I want to request at least two days time (until sunday, preferrably longer) to let players backup existing books.
.....also a saddle that won't pinch the tail. One day!

weltall

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 08:55:04 am »
sunday i'm on a plane so it's excluded i will start ezpcusa today and do zeroping probably tomorrow. the backup are just for being safe but are most probably unedded (if the test set which i used failed all would have failed). that's also because i want to make sure it works after deploying it.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 08:58:08 am by weltall »

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 09:19:38 am »
Oh well, great.

As if all players play daily, read the forums daily, have time to make backups of books of all their chars daily...

You are again going to provoke the hate of the community. Well done.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

weltall

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 09:51:55 am »
Oh well, great.

As if all players play daily, read the forums daily, have time to make backups of books of all their chars daily...

You are again going to provoke the hate of the community. Well done.
why you would provoke the hate of the community if all goes well? ezpcusa was updated and 100% of the books were ported correctly according to the database. 496 valid books were ported to the new system, those 266 books not owned by anyone where not so the upgrade of ezpcusa was a success. plus the thing had a pre alert on svn a week ago and it's stated in game in irc and forums.

the real problem won't be this but will be random loot porting to the new schema plans which will be a big problem to obtain. for those who understand programming it will be a text based match as nothing else it's possible with like queries.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 09:55:00 am by weltall »

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 10:52:19 am »
If it was tested and ran well, and there are backups, then no problems. Otherwise, weltall is worse than Hitler. Don't ya just love dichotomies?

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 11:25:01 am »

sixth: As now books are taking their base from the original item, changes to it will change your book characteristics. Things like weight, size, mesh, icons will change according to the basic item just like any other item in game (excluding random loot for now)

Will this mean that the original author can change the original and then all copies will be auto-magically updated?

- Nova the curious book collector

Mordaan

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 03:29:32 pm »
This kind of made my head spin.   ;)
Will you now be able to buy multiple books at once from Jayose?  Or still just one at a time?
--Overseer, Explorers Guild.

Overtherainbow

• Hydlaa Resident
  • I see you lookin' at mah rainbowz.
    • View Profile
    • EBONWUMON DOT COM
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 03:42:30 pm »
Oooh, lots of books belonging to me in there.

No original copies though, so I'm all good.

weltall

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 04:15:37 pm »

Will this mean that the original author can change the original and then all copies will be auto-magically updated?

- Nova the curious book collector

no copies are independent. the original item is the basic book not your book. before we had a basic book which was copied and made as a new basic item which was then referenced from your instance of the book. now the book lives within the instance only and for the rest of the data grabs from the basic book which is what's in jayose inventory (players never had such a book because it wouldn't work)