Author Topic: RP Server help  (Read 2940 times)

Fubsss

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
RP Server help
« on: September 06, 2010, 10:33:04 am »
Total newbie here looking to get into the RP server. Tried changing the IP in the server xml like I read on here but i can't save it? Denied. Any advice?

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: RP Server help
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 11:01:00 am »
Depends what system your are on (windows, macos, linux). Easiest way might be to just run the pslaunch application with admin rights. The latest update should already use the correct IP. If you don't want to do this you are either left with changing the permissions of the servers.xml file to allow an ordinary user to edit it, run the editor as admin or install the game in another directory which the OS doesn't protect from user editions (home directories on macos and linux or somewhere outside "Program Files" on windows).

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 03:00:51 am »
It means, Either update, or follow instructions on main site, either way you have to have administrative rights on your computer. if you can't update, and the screen with the servers list doesnt have zeroping on it you should re-install the game

Aiwendil: Use smaller words, >.> people like short and sweet.
Dohmo: Please clean up your language immediately.
Me: as i just said, what i said, fits in the guidlines of rated PG, i was just explaining to the G guy
Dohmo: Sorry I tried to e nice
Dohmo: and i'm telling you to clean it up. last warning
Dohmo: now just do it
Dohmo: No more warnings

Abuse?

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 04:54:16 am »
Aiwendil: Use smaller words, >.> people like short and sweet.

Sorry, I played PS at a time where reading was still a requirement for playing. But yes I know..it's not like this nowadays anymore. That's one of the reasons I stopped playing. But if I choose the help someone here because I think that new players are for sure not the ones to blame for the stupidity that is going on in game then I want to be at least free to also choose with what words I help them. I for a difference still think that some people take offense by assuming they are to lazy to read more than two lines.

And sorry...no that wasn't what I meant. I meant what I said...only reinstalling for example won't help a bit in windows if you don't know how to get admin but keep installing it in C:\Program Files again. Use a different directory and you won't have the need to become admin at all. And if I would know what system Fubsss is on I could have given better instructions and had typed even more. There is a slight difference between doing a "sudo pslauncher" in a shell or a run-as-admin in windows and not wanting to explain all possibilities for all three systems if two of them are useless.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 05:23:35 am by Aiwendil »

Geoni

• Veteran
  • -
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 06:46:06 am »
lol Earowo you should know all of those words if you're like what...14 or 15?

-sig by sarras

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 02:14:29 pm »
im not a person for reading XD and i know a lot of other people who are like that too, in-game, i'll read everything, but on the forum, i see the big paragrahs and be like, screw this topic >.>
last year in school, i read a total of 1 books
Dohmo: Please clean up your language immediately.
Me: as i just said, what i said, fits in the guidlines of rated PG, i was just explaining to the G guy
Dohmo: Sorry I tried to e nice
Dohmo: and i'm telling you to clean it up. last warning
Dohmo: now just do it
Dohmo: No more warnings

Abuse?

Maisent

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 05:49:11 pm »
im not a person for reading XD and i know a lot of other people who are like that too, in-game, i'll read everything, but on the forum, i see the big paragrahs and be like, screw this topic >.>

you are very right, i hate reading long pharagraphs, id rather not read it if its that long, but if i have to then i would.

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 01:01:16 am »
You both already know how to change the IP address of the latest, downloadable client so you hadn't to read the post at all. But telling people that it's a bad idea to write a lot in the forum of a roleplay base game just seems wrong...Ah..sorry, my fault again, still can't get used to the fact that PS is not focused on roleplay anymore. So yes, you both are right, I should have just made a list of possible solutions where each point does not have more than 5 words. Will do that now
  • run pslaunch as root
  • change file-permissions before editing
  • install somewhere else

Oh..and to get rid of the last anachronism of roleplaying focus the chat window and press <esc>. (Haven't I already said something like this before?...Must have gotten lost within all that text people don't want to read.)

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 04:09:18 am »

you are very right, i hate reading long pharagraphs, id rather not read it if its that long, but if i have to then i would.

typical lazy teenagers lol.
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.

BoevenF

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Amdeneir citizen, mostly travelling
    • View Profile
    • The Doømed Ones SVG
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 07:40:18 am »
I hope Fubsss has managed to reach the server.