Author Topic: Keeps Crashing  (Read 1713 times)

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
  • Chars: Morwen and Gartheiz
    • View Profile
Keeps Crashing
« on: February 28, 2011, 03:06:08 pm »
RP server is crashing every 5 seconds. What's wrong with it?
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

Caraick

• Veteran
  • I liked PS before it was cool.
    • View Profile
Re: Keeps Crashing
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 04:50:59 pm »
This may be why I've seen the server stats on players online jumping from like 6 to about 40... O.o
Hey look kids, it's the antichrist Marsuveus!
What? Doesn't he just look huggable? Aw, c'mon, give him a hug.

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 03:08:14 pm »
I'll slap this server in the face next time it cancels one of my writing sessions and forces me to rewrite half of everything.
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

aiwendil5

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 12:42:44 pm »
And some more ban evading.... *shrugs*

Didn't know that there are still people left in PS who type more than three words at once...sorry, if I had known I would have presented this earlier. I made a patch to exactly prevent the annoying loss of a long chat line when the server (or the client) crashes. So reworked that old patch to work well with my spell-checker implementation for the chat window (With the spell-checker it's even a bit less "hackish" as I was too lazy back then to create a derived class from pawsEditTextBox to gain control over keypresses but as I had to do exactly this for the spell checker it is easier to include now). In the end all the patch does is keeping track of the last three chat lines and loading those at the startup in the history of the chat window again. Meaning that with the patch you are able to use the up-arrow key to get your last three (okay..maybe only two if you ended the previous PS session with a empty chat line) chat lines (including the last, maybe not finished one).

So here is the patch:

http://pastebin.com/2dvHBss0

Sorry, and again I was to lazy to make a patch only for this against the current PS sources....so this patch also includes the latest spell-checker config gui patch from me (http://bugs.hydlaaplaza.com/flyspray/index.php?task_id=4922) that is not in the official sources as both have to touch the same files. If someone really only wants the chat-line patch contact me in the Outlaws forum or on IRC.

Of course this could still use a lot of polishing...it was only made for me a few years back. I guess it wouldn't be too hard for anyone to make this configurable or add some code to write back more than 3 chat lines. But for my needs it was sufficient.

Last but not least...this only alters the client. The server notices nothing of this. So using this client modification probably won't get you banned as it's not really detectable...just don't go around and brag about it. 

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 03:43:47 pm »
That was some nice ban evading. My problem was with books, but that patch still sounds nice.

Join the Dark Empire!