Author Topic: The new server  (Read 2241 times)

derula

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • My main: Jamona Shikon
    • View Profile
    • Ugly Horst Tld.
The new server
« on: March 11, 2012, 06:58:45 am »
Hi.

Thob asked a valid question in the announcement thread for the new server:

could you tell us some details why the server changes so often?

This question was never answered; though Talad did reply with a minor nitpick on the question itself (he said it doesn't actually change that often).

The reason I'm asking is because Zeroping seemed pretty stable. In contrast, the new server seems to go down all the time. There was a downtime on March 7th, from ~4:40PM CET to ~7:10PM CET and ~7:50PM CET to ~8:30PM CET, and now there's another one today that started ~10:40AM CET. I'm just wondering, is that the server's fault, or is some shit going on right now?

Also, would anyone be interested in a little website listing server downtimes? I could add that to my status script...

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: The new server
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 09:41:59 am »
Also: Yes, then we could easily point people at its results if someone is in doubt about his network setup or update state.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Karzela~

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 10:01:23 am »
Also, would anyone be interested in a little website listing server downtimes? I could add that to my status script...
Yes, it would be much appreciated.

derula

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Ugly Horst Tld.
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 11:59:13 am »
@LigH, Karzela~: Thanks, I will try to do that next weekend and post in this thread when it's done.

* derula hopes he will still remember to do that next week.

derula

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Ugly Horst Tld.
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 09:21:01 pm »
I DID NOT LET YOU DOWN!

Here's my wonderful creation:

(As promised, I am also keeping track of server downtimes, and a website version of the above image with past downtimes will follow.)

derula

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Ugly Horst Tld.
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 01:01:23 am »
Finished! You can check the new server status page here.

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 06:43:58 am »
My guess is that Zeroping saw little (if not no) advantage in sponsoring Planeshift with a server. Due to the lack of active players in general, and players recommending and using Zeroping servers for hosting websites, gaming servers and etc. Pretty much they didn't gain or break-even from what they were giving.

I do Business Studies at school and that would be my guess. Honestly, if I owned a server hosting business, I wouldn't see any benefit(s) with sponsoring PlaneShift, sorry.
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.

derula

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Ugly Horst Tld.
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 01:17:01 pm »
My guess is that Zeroping saw little (if not no) advantage in sponsoring Planeshift with a server. Due to the lack of active players in general, and players recommending and using Zeroping servers for hosting websites, gaming servers and etc. Pretty much they didn't gain or break-even from what they were giving.
My point is not that I can't think of any reason why Zeroping would cancel it. The point is that a) no mention was made why the server was changed, and b) Talad can't even go out and say "the reason won't be discussed" when asked about it, but instead nitpicks on the question. I'm sorry, but if I had to guess why a server change took place, I'd say that Talad has been an utter douche to the Zeroping people (whether intentionally or not...) and they kicked him because of that. But I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt and at least a chance to either tell us the actual reason, or to say that he won't comment, instead of just pretending that there was no reason at all and it was just a usual change of events.
(I don't really want to make a flame thread out of this, and I'll leave it alone now. So don't try to argue with me, I'll not check back. I'll hope you'll instead discuss my awesome server downtime logger instead. It's pretty cool.)

weltall

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 04:14:31 pm »
Simply they aren't in the hosting business anymore there is nothing weird behind it.

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 05:07:07 pm »
awww...  :'(

can't you, like, at least make up a weird reason?

like, they were secretly a race of locust people from the distant planet Zxzztribltltl38 and you had unmasked their sinister plan of global domination through game server hosting in a thrilling covert operation backed by the ultra-secret spy organization Indigo Force 6.

Of course if you truly WERE an Indigo operative, you wouldn't want your secret identity blown, hence the lame and boring cover story.

Not in the hosting business anymore indeed...

I've got my on on you Weltall, I've got my eye on you...  :detective:
all blessings to the assembled devotees.

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 07:23:56 am »
True now I see what point you are making Derula. Nice downtime logger, I think there used to be one way back with the Singapore server, it made graphs about player numbers in each month and downtime and stuff.

Also, because this is a topic about the new server/server change. It might be good that the devs work on fixing all the web pages linked to EZPCUSA and Zeroping and change them to the new server, such as MyPlane, the list of guilds on PS.it, etc.
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.

derula

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Ugly Horst Tld.
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 11:50:51 am »
True now I see what point you are making Derula. Nice downtime logger, I think there used to be one way back with the Singapore server, it made graphs about player numbers in each month and downtime and stuff.

Thanks! I actually have a function that can output data that can be used with Google's graph API to show such graphs for player data, but I never made a page that actually displays the graphs.