Author Topic: Main web page and Registration page difficulties  (Read 1149 times)

Ariel Arilon

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Main web page and Registration page difficulties
« on: May 21, 2016, 03:47:57 pm »
Unto the Lords and Ladies of PlaneShift, Ariel of Arilon sends thee warmest Greetings,

I have several questions for thy consideration.

1.  I managed to register for the Forums through sheer luck. Must I also create another account for the game, or will this do?

2. Main page problem: Under the "Download Now" graphic, there is a list:
Main
Community
Story
Support
Development
Pic of the Day!

Clicking on any of these does nothing (Javascript is enabled). Does this require Flash to make them work?

3.  Registration page:  The 2 words that are needed to be input do not appear, and "...press the button with two cycling arrows below" there is no button with two cycling arrows. Is this a Flash-driven script as well?

4. The biggest difficulty I had was that -nowhere- on the Main page or Registration page could I find a "Contact Us" link to seek assistance. A Contact Us that would open an email would be helpful for those (like myself) who are both interested in PlaneShift yet are having problems with registering a new account or downloading the game.

I thank thee in advance for thy sage advise and wisdom.

thy humble servant,

Ariel  ^_^

P.S.
Mac OS 10.8 - Safari browser
I can send a cropped screen-shot if needed.
Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Ravna

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Insane
    • View Profile
Re: Main web page and Registration page difficulties
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 04:05:01 pm »

Greetings,

1) Yes, you need a game account, you can register one here: http://www.planeshift.it/account/login after clicking on "create new account"

2) Yes, this requires something fancy, not sure what, I usually take another browser when I need one of those links.

3) Assuming you are talking about the registration page I linked under 1, no it needs a number and this one only requires javascript (and probably cookies enabled).  On the forums I think only javascript is required too, but they're a bit hard to read.

4) http://www.planeshift.it/SupportHelp (the url when clicking on support -> get support) will give you contact options. You can also use chat: http://www.planeshift.it/IRC

Find me on IRC if you need me, don't use pms.

Ariel Arilon

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 09:12:46 pm »
Ravna,

I thank thee for thy reply.  :)
I shall give it a go on the morrow.

Ariel

Ariel Arilon

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 01:55:26 pm »
As promised, I checked this again.

Javascript is turned on and I made the cookies setting to allow all cookies.

T'was soon that I noticed I had a dozen cookies from all over the world set in my browser (one was from a land called Israel). Is this normal?!? Do the server gods allow this?? Should I allow all these cookies from diverse places be set?

On the main page, The Menu items under "Download Now" still have no effect when clicked on.

The Registration and Download pages still do not display the Capthca (spelling?).

I shall endeavor to try registering and downloading on another majik box located elsewhere to see if that works.

with warmest regards,

Ariel of Arilon

Ravna

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 03:18:17 pm »
The captcha's should work with just javascript (it's the only thing I have enabled in firefox, and they display just fine. They are however loaded from some google server, so it could be you are using a plugin that is preventing cross site scripting (XSS) that is blocking this, or a form of anti-tracker that is blocking all google traffic, but that being said, the registration page "should" work including captcha's (I just tested this).
Edit: it might also be just enough to allow cookies from google while visiting that page. (You can still remove em afterwards.)

Also notice that you would only need to enable cookies/javascript temporarily to register the account, if you do not like cookies (and there are good reasons not to like them) you can delete them afterwards.

On an unrelated note, I do not believe we have any cookies originating from Israel, it could be another site set those.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 04:25:32 pm by Ravna »

Ariel Arilon

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 01:04:57 am »
Greetings again Ravna,

I have just returned from a foray to another majik box (computer), and have downloaded, installed, and launched PlaneShift.

To my disappointment I tried to use my name here in forums for the new character but the server says tis already taken.  : /

But thy last reply shook a few cobwebs loose. Several years ago I edited the Hosts file to prohibit various web tracking sites from connecting to my majik box, one of them was Google (Google's setting of tracking cookies is most persistent!). I shall have to re-visit that file again and delete the Google ban to see if that is the cause of my woes.

I wish to thank thee for thy aid. If it had not been for thy sage advise I wouldst still be wandering in the mists of ignorance.

I hope to meet thee IG soon!  : )

Ariel

Ravna

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 07:37:34 am »

No problem.
Also, if you have a working account (made on another computer) you should be able to use that on all your computers to login to the game. You won't need to unblock google to play the game, it is only relevant for the registration page.