Author Topic: Harnquist vs Bodacher  (Read 3340 times)

Ganinos

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Harnquist vs Bodacher
« on: December 14, 2005, 04:57:01 pm »
[Ganinos \"Long Beard\" Haninorer]

Today, the Hu-Man Harnquist, confronted Bodacher of the Dragon Council.  Harnquist was upset the Bodacher had opened up a store in Hydlaa.  I was present & recorded the event in my own journal.  Once Harnquist left, a city guard came by to see what all the comotion was about.  He took statements from Bodacher & others then went to talk to Harnquest.  The following is what I recorded in my jornal:

13:18:24) Harnquist says: Upstarts! Scoundrels!
(13:18:35) Bodacher says: Bah!
(13:18:3 Harnquist says: Why should they buy from you eh?!
(13:18:43) Bereror does not understand
(13:18:56) Bodacher says: Because my merchandise is of a much higher quality than yours!
(13:19:03) Bereror says: Harnquist, you do not sell the same than they do
(13:19:19) Harnquist says: I\'ve been here since before you can remember! You think I do not ken the craft of swordmaking?!
(13:19:41) Bodacher says: Bah, I\'ve seen your \"craft\". It leaves much to be desired...
(13:19:57) Bodacher says: I deal in only the finest quality here.
(13:20:22) Tarel says Harnquist only offers crap swords
(13:20:26) Bereror says: Harnquist, keep your cheap swords to yourself

At this point Harnquist used some foul magic & stuffed Bodacher inside his barrel, with just his head sticking out.

(13:20:30) Harnquist stuffs Bodacher into his own barrel!
(13:20:32) Esserfin remains silent watching and hearing the discussion
(13:20:50) Harnquist says: That will be all!
(13:20:51) Tarel walks closely behinds harnquist
(13:20:56) Ganinos says: I like your new suit Bod.
(13:20:59) Bodacher mumbles and growls, fighting to get out of the barrel
(13:21:07) Bereror says: Bodacher, do you need help?
(13:21:10) Bodacher says: I think he\'s bitter!
(13:21:30) Bodacher says: Where did he run off to?
(13:21:45) Esserfin says: to his store i think Bod
(13:21:52) Ararrik says: Probably the tavern
(13:22:02) Bodacher looks around \"Bah, he\'s not worth my time anyway. I have customers here to deal with\"
(13:22:0 Lolitra looks on in curiosity.
(13:22:09) Bereror says: I think he has a serious problem with drinking
(13:22:17) Esserfin nods
(13:22:1 Bodacher climbs back on his barrel
(13:22:36) Bodacher says: Now, Ararrik, I believe you wanted to pay for that axe I set aside for you?
(13:22:56) Bodacher mumbles some more about jealous, cheap sword selling merchants.
(13:23:00) Ganinos says: What Harnquist has a drinking problem? You mean he doesn\'t drink enough?
(13:23:25) Bereror says: He visits the Tavern a little bit too often
(13:23:33) Esserfin looks Gan and started to laugh loudly
(13:23:34) Bodacher takes an axe out of his pack and hands it over.
(13:23:34) Larun says: Well He does have competition from other merchants. the one on the other side of the plaza buys items and the one on the oja road buys weapons.
(13:24:10) Bodacher looks at the coins Ararrik is holding. \"You\'ve overpaid sir.\"

Then a city guard by the name of Jefecra arrives.  He normally patrols the area around Kada El\'s Tavern.

(13:24:29) Jefecra says: What was all the yelling an carrying on?
(13:24:35) Bereror says: If Harnquist wants to keep his business, he has to start offering weapons that have better quality
(13:24:39) Bodacher says: Please take back 4 red Hexas
(13:24:5 Jefecra says: Master Bodacher?
(13:25:1 Jefecra says: What was all that commotion?
(13:25:29) Tarel warns Jefecra to hide his weapons  
(13:25:33) Ganinos says: It was just that Hu-Man Harn. He was complaining about our business.
(13:25:3 Esserfin says: what\'s going on Tabei?
(13:25:43) Bodacher turns to Jefecra \"Harnquist was upset that my quality weapons are selling better than the cheap junk he tries to vend\"
(13:25:45) Tarel dislikes weapons near Bodacher
(13:26:09) Bodacher takes the coins from Ararrik \"Thank you good Stonebreaker\"
(13:26:12) Jefecra says: Oh aye... I\'ll have a word.
(13:26:27) Bodacher says: He stuffed me into my barrel here.
(13:26:37) Bodacher says: Made me look bad in front of my customers here.
(13:26:47) Bodacher says: I think he may have been drinking!
(13:26:49) Jefecra says: Harnquist is a prickly one, been a smith for nigh on thirty years in this city
(13:26:52) Ganinos says: I remember once I accidently sold my mug to Harn, & he wouldn\'t even sell it back.
(13:27:42) Jefecra says: You should have more discretion in making a sale then, Master Ganinos...
(13:28:03) Bodacher says: Well he should refrain from drinking if he wants to continue to be successful, I think.
(13:28:09) Jefecra says: It can\'t be helped if he wanted a mug of his own!
(13:28:23) Bereror says: I have no issues with Harnquist as long he stays at the Plaza and does not jump on other people making better business
(13:28:26) Bodacher says: Competition in the market is good, but fighting amongst the merchants can\'t be...
(13:28:34) Ganinos says: It was a mistake on my part yes, but the cheapskate wouldn\'t sell it back to me.
(13:28:52) Jefecra says: I\'ll have a word with the man, thank you for your time.
(13:29:05) Bodacher bows \"Thank you for your interest Jefecra\"
(13:29:39) Bodacher says: Sorry about the confusion Ararrik. I hope that axe serves you well, and thank you for shopping here.
(13:30:07) Bodacher says: Gan, maybe you should go see what Harn has to say for himself?
(13:30:17) Bereror waves good bye: \"I wish you all a good day\"
(13:30:47) Ganinos says: you might be right there Bod.
(13:31:19) Jefecra says: Greetings, master Smith...
(13:33:09) Harnquist says: uhm.. hello..
(13:33:14) Jefecra says: I hear you have been harassing another merchant
(13:33:22) Harnquist says: Well I never!
(13:33:44) Ganinos listens entently
(13:33:5 Harnquist narrows his eyes, Who was it what told you?! That dirty little Bodacher fellow?
(13:34:44) Jefecra says: I merely heard the commotion. When I went to investigate, Bodacher and his customers told the whole story
(13:35:03) Harnquist says: Huh.. well, I went up there, right enough.
(13:35:25) Jefecra says: And?
(13:35:27) Clayzekiel listens secretly
(13:35:5 Harnquist says: And, um... Hey, yous! do you mind? This is a private conversation! Find somewhere else to eavesdrop from!
(13:36:11) Jefecra says: It\'s all right.
(13:36:22) Jefecra says: People have a right to know!
(13:36:35) Clayzekiel says: Yeah that\'s right!
(13:36:42) Harnquist says: I don\'t like them knowing, does that count for anything?
(13:37:24) Jefecra says: Normally, yes.. but... One of the customers I spoke to reported you had the look of the drink in you
(13:37:56) Ganinos says: So that is why you wouldn\'t sell my mug back to me!!!!
(13:38:01) Clayzekiel snickers
(13:38:03) Ararrik says: Never did meet a human who could hold the drink!
(13:38:15) Harnquist says: Is it now against the laws to have a little mug o\' mead once in a while? Hmm? Perhaps you should go tell Kada! That will help her business!
(13:38:29) Jefecra says: Quit changing the topic!
(13:39:00) Harnquist says: Oh aye, that\'s a sensitive bit for ye. How come you\'re always posted by her tavern, then?
(13:39:29) Jefecra says: I was posted there by the master of the Guard, not by magical mugs what go talking to me!
(13:39:42) Jefecra says: Back to the topic at hand...
(13:40:10) Clayzekiel says: We have the right to know.. what?
(13:40:29) Jefecra says: At any rate, drinking is not what I\'m after ye about. It\'s drinkin, then running about harassing other merchants what bothers folk
(13:40:5 Harnquist says: He insulted my wares! What am I supposed to do, eh?
(13:41:56) Ganinos says: Some time ago, I made a mistake & sold you my mug. Then you wouldn\'t even sell it back. It took me a long time to find another mug.
(13:41:57) Jefecra says: Anything but stuff him in a barrel!
(13:42:29) Clayzekiel shrugs and says: I\'dve done that
(13:42:41) Jefecra says: That dwarf is an honest and upstanding merchant, you had no right to treat him that way
(13:43:03) Harnquist laughs harshly, Not too upstanding though, is he?
(13:43:19) Jefecra says: That\'s besides the point!
(13:44:06) Jefecra says: If I get another complaint of you running about drunk, I shall see to it that your shop is shut! We can\'t have a drunken smith, it just isn\'t safe
(13:44:43) Clayzekiel laughs a bit.. getting the joke afterwards
(13:44:51) Ganinos says: Maybe it is that mug he baught from me that got him to drinking.
(13:45:05) Harnquist says: Ahahah.. you couldn\'t do that! I\'ve been here for years! I will stay here for years! You can\'t remove me, the people love me!
(13:45:27) Jefecra, seeing the logic in this, just glares
(13:45:2 Mena says: yep we do
(13:45:3 Gigelf says: very
(13:45:52) Clayzekiel says: indeed
(13:45:57) Harnquist says: Lost for words, eh? Cat got your tongue?! Hahahah!
(13:46:06) Schlempo says: so wot do u do
(13:46:10) Clayzekiel says: haha, good one
(13:46:11) Jefecra glares more, if possible
(13:46:11) Mena says: thats not funny
(13:46:47) Jefecra raises his sword and lays the point on the tip of Harnquist\'s beard
(13:47:04) Ganinos steps back
(13:47:04) Clayzekiel says: Hey hey ain\'t hurting nobody now Jefecra
(13:47:21) Apis says: I want the shop if it comes to blood shead...
(13:47:33) Jefecra says: Now, another comment like that and I\'ll do something for sure
(13:47:41) Harnquist says: Mumblephhhbt.
(13:47:4 Mena says: oooooo
(13:48:03) Clayzekiel stares intensely
(13:48:10) Jefecra says: If we are all to live in Yliakum, we must tolerate races other than our own!
(13:48:36) Jefecra twitches his blade a bit
(13:48:56) Clayzekiel says: He\'s got a point there
(13:49:04) Mena says: LOL
(13:49:12) Jefecra thinks, and then cuts off the end of Harnquist\'s beard
(13:49:32) Clayzekiel gasps
(13:49:34) Harnquist shouts: Aaaaaahhh! Meh precious beard!
(13:49:47) Mena says: thims fighting words
(13:49:47) Apis says: boys... calm down
(13:49:54) Jefecra grins and returns to his post
(13:50:14) Harnquist flees inside his smithy

Gan, \"Long Beard\" returns to Hydlaa Outfitters

(13:51:47) Bodacher says: All done?
(13:51:49) Ganinos says: Did Harnquist come by here?
(13:51:57) Bodacher says: I didn\'t see him
(13:52:12) Bodacher says: I was speaking with a customer though, and might have missed him.
(13:52:20) Jefecra says: Aye, I think Harnquist has learned his lesson...
(13:52:30) Ganinos says: Well he ran off after Jefecra talked to him.
(13:52:33) Bodacher bows to Jefecra \"Thank you for your efforts\"
(13:52:5 Bodacher says: I heard him screaming something about his beard. Was that your doing?
(13:53:05) Jefecra grins and twirls his blade.. Any time, master dwarf
(13:53:31) Jefecra says: Yes... I\'m afraid so, but it had to be done.
(13:53:43) Bodacher says: I do hope you didn\'t hurt him much....I don\'t wish for bad blood between us, but his actions were intolerable.
(13:54:11) Jefecra says: One has to have tolerance for the other races of Yliakum, if they are to do business here
(13:54:36) Bodacher nods \"I thank you again Jefecra. If there is anything I can do to repay you, just ask\"

And so ended the tale of the War between Harnquist and Bodacher.

[The parts of Harnquist & Jefecra were played by the GM Rokani.  Rokani initiated this on her own without any of us knowing.  This was all done impromptu & was loads of fun.  A big tanks to Rokani for starting all of this & to everyone who participated even in a small way]

Gan, \"Long Bear\"
Leader White Dragon Clan
Dragon High Master in the Dragon Council
« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 07:06:41 pm by Ganinos »
All evil comes from within,
Not from without,
Therefore, the fist step along the Holy Warrior path,
Is to recognize thyself as thy first enemy.
Excerpt from the Book of the Holy Warrior

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 05:43:03 pm »
If you\'re nearby and not saying anything, is it really necessary to use a /me command to point out that you\'re \"listening silently\"?
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 05:53:16 pm »
[ It does show that you are not AFK and wish to be a part of current events ;) Also standing nearby does not mean that your character is paying attention to what\'s going on.

I find this episode hilarious. Well done, Rokani! :) ]
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Farren Kutter

• Veteran
  • Death is only the beginning. Then true life begins
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 05:56:46 pm »
That was quite entertaining. Wish I had been there...

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 06:04:39 pm »
Since our characters have very limited animations I think it is definitely needed to explain what they are doing with the /me command from time to time. Like Karyuu said, just because you see someone standing there doesn\'t mean you know what they are doing. He could have been waiting for an oppertunity to sell his goods to Harnquist for all we know.

The only thing that disturbed me a bit was the single \"lol\" I saw in the entire conversation. A perfect example of how ooc chat can disrupt the atmosphere ... but that\'s a different thread.

I loved reading the whole event though. So much that I was even imagining Harnquist picking that poor Bodacher up and shoving him in that barrel. Great job by Rokani and by everyone who picked up on the roleplaying without any problems. :D
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 06:23:02 pm »
Originally posted by Karyuu
[ It does show that you are not AFK and wish to be a part of current events ;) Also standing nearby does not mean that your character is paying attention to what\'s going on.

I find this episode hilarious. Well done, Rokani! :) ]

Yeah, but you don\'t always notice who\'s listening and who\'s not listening in on a conversation IRL.
Immaturity is FTW.

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 06:32:41 pm »
Precisely why RP is so much fun - you get to draw the attention of others to the tiniest of your actions: fumbling with a button, slight quirk of an eyebrow, a quick turn of the head.. :]
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Farren Kutter

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005, 06:37:57 pm »
zanzibar, those little actions might not be noticed by another person, but think of RPing as somewhat of a book or story, just being written by so many people... Books and stories do note when someone is or isn\'t paying attention, even if the characters don\'t.

Father Sengus

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2005, 06:53:04 pm »
I had a lot of fun reading this! Very good job Rokani :D Like Zan said, the \"lol\" is definetely annoying. If it were me, I would have cut out any ooc parts, since this is an IC story, and IC and OOC are completely different things.

Also, all who RP:ed, did a great job, especially Bodacher (the merchant) and Bereror as the guy wanting to help. You had interesting reactions :P

Yeah, but you don\'t always notice who\'s listening and who\'s not listening in on a conversation IRL.
Just because somebody noticed it this time it does not mean that people always notice it. :)
When somebody says something like \"/me is eavesdropping\" the person becomes immediatly  involved in the RP that is going on, whether or not he has anything to do with the story or not, since it demands a reaction from the people standing nearby. A hunter that is very aware of his surroundings might notice it while somebody caught up in another discussion might choose to ignore it.

Back on topic! Once again, great job. ;)

Editation by josePhoenix: It\'s Rokani, not Korani!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 10:16:34 pm by Father Sengus »

Ganinos

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2005, 07:05:54 pm »
I did edit the post.  There was a trememdous amount of clutter in it.  There were numerous Guild Chats, any many, many OOC comments.  Sorry for missing the \"lol\" comment.  I even re-edited it numerous times.  Hard to catch everything sometimes.  

This was a fun event & I am glad that most of you enjoyed reading about it.

Gan \"Long Beard\"
All evil comes from within,
Not from without,
Therefore, the fist step along the Holy Warrior path,
Is to recognize thyself as thy first enemy.
Excerpt from the Book of the Holy Warrior

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2005, 07:18:18 pm »
Originally posted by Karyuu
Precisely why RP is so much fun - you get to draw the attention of others to the tiniest of your actions: fumbling with a button, slight quirk of an eyebrow, a quick turn of the head.. :]

Yeah, but just standing around being silent?  In community story writing that\'s fine, but as a /me command?  You\'re pointing out not an action, but a lack of action.  A part of me says that a lack of action should be communicated simply by not doing anything.

As far as eavesdropping, there are tonnes of ways to communicate it besides communicating a lack of action.  Whether it\'s by glancing in the direction of the speakers when something in particular is said, or mumbling to yourself, or perking an ear or raising an eyebrow or anything creative like that.  Just saying \"/me listens silently\" is boring.
Immaturity is FTW.

Farren Kutter

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2005, 07:22:35 pm »
yes, maybe it is boring, but it may lead to another player noticing that that person is there and somehow trying to bring them inot the RP.... When the person says something in RP about the RP event or situation, it must mean that they are ready to participate should the need or chance arise... Maybe not always, but most likely.

Clayzekiel

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2005, 07:28:33 pm »
Originally posted by zanzibar
As far as eavesdropping, there are tonnes of ways to communicate it besides communicating a lack of action.  Whether it\'s by glancing in the direction of the speakers when something in particular is said, or mumbling to yourself, or perking an ear or raising an eyebrow or anything creative like that.  Just saying \"/me listens silently\" is boring.

Yes that\'s why I wrote SECRETLY... Assuming that you were talking about this one:

(13:35:27) Clayzekiel listens secretly

You misread it, that\'s all. I agree that \"/me listens silently\" is quite pointless but \"secretly\" is way another thing. It\'s like it was possible to see that I was listening to them. I could have used better words though, like \"leans his head towards the conversation\" or such...

But if we\'ll some day get back on topic, it was very surprising to me that little event. I didn\'t see the beginning of it though, entered the story when I said that infamous line. It\'s always a pleasure see things like that, especially when they come out improvised.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 07:35:05 pm by Clayzekiel »

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2005, 07:47:29 pm »
Secretly is even weirder than silently, unless it\'s in a tell.  How do you do something secretly if you point it out to everyone?  It makes sense for story writing, but that\'s about it.
Immaturity is FTW.

Clayzekiel

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2005, 08:03:05 pm »
Secretly is even weirder than silently, unless it\'s in a tell. How do you do something secretly if you point it out to everyone? It makes sense for story writing, but that\'s about it.

My intention was to make the character attempt to listen secretly, but to fail in it by listening secretly too obviously. My slight lack of vocabulary was a part cause for it come out like that. If I had known by then that it would come to this, I would\'ve surely used much better expression. Probably I would have had to write \"/me raises his hand behind his ear and leans a bit towards Harnquist and Jefecra, making it quite obvious that he is eavesdropping\". Eeavesdropping would have been a good word to use, I didn\'t know that word by then, so crucify me. :rolleyes: