Author Topic: Wedding Invitation  (Read 3947 times)

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
Re: Wedding Invitation
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2007, 05:44:27 am »
Slippery slope logical fallacy. Also a strawman.
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

Socius Rockus

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Wibble myself: 17years I was gone, give or take
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2007, 05:48:00 am »
No just trying to get people thinking that traditional weddings as we know from RL don't necessarily have to be so in PS  ;)   For we don't have a non-sex species in RL  :lol:

Lolitra, Celorrim Purrty Twins

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • THE ROYAL HOUSE OF PURRTY
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2007, 05:48:16 am »
All centient beings have their own sort of feelings.  How we perceive them may be different.  Perhaps Kemedes and Akashani have found a mutual way to share their feelings and have chosen to follow the way of the flesh in marriage, as a mark of commitment from Kemedes, who possibly finds it hard to show these emotions in the same way as Akashani would.

Krans would have most likely picked up on how fleshy beings exchange their emotions in a more physical way, and may even try to mimic them to feel part of the society in which they dwell.

To say they cannot know 'love' is narrow minded.  However, to share love with others may be a more difficult and less physical for them.

Perhaps it is the only way Kemedes could comprehend that Akashani would understand his 'commitment' to her needs...

I think the wedding was lovely, (but I would say that...) and I think they play their races well..

[oocly - it is possible to fall in love without having a sexual passion to start with, and it is possible to sustain that love over many years, knowing you cannot have children. I DARE ANYONE to challenge me on that!!  17 yrs I have been married, I love my husband, and we cannot have children...]
Her Royal Highness Lolitra Hollinthy Purrty nods regally 'I am delighted to meet you' her tiara twinkles in the crystal light.
[had to remove my signature - as the image host lost it!!!!]

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2007, 05:52:30 am »
No just trying to get people thinking that traditional weddings as we know from RL don't necessarily have to be so in PS  ;)   For we don't have a non-sex species in RL  :lol:

Umm, yes. You tried to do that and in doing so committed logical fallacies.
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

Socius Rockus

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2007, 05:55:50 am »
I'm sorry for not always speaking with my brains, But if you got the point what are you trying to say  ???

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2007, 05:59:48 am »
You are creating a target that is easy to shoot down so that it seems that your argument is better. Thats a strawman. You said that Kran would become completely self serving. Thats not true and not something we said. Also saying that is a slippery slope fallacy because you're saying that if thats true then this thing which isn't true must also be true as a consequence. Its like saying evolution cannot be true because that means that the human race will end up practicing eugenics.

Socius Rockus

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2007, 06:08:13 am »
Nah I said if they didn't know "any" form of love, that includes not having "love for family, love for city, work ect." and I didn't say someone else said that Kran don't have completely no love. ::) That's like logic
They at least have to know the companion love as you said, else they would have evolved into some kind of self caring parasite attacking everything that comes in it's way.
I repeat "As you said" refers to having companion love, that's what draklar said some posts before  :lol:
See ^^, I don't put words in someone mouth, That's a fallacy, learned that at Dutch class ^^

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2007, 06:14:12 am »
Love for work, etc. is not what we are talking about. It is completely off topic. Some would even argue that that is not love. Its still a slippery slope argument. Its basically taking something to absurd extremes to show that it isn't true which can be used in normal logic but this argument contains a non sequiter too.

Socius Rockus

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2007, 06:23:42 am »
I disagree with that being of topic as we disused different types of love before, I didn't prove a point by saying what i said I only supported draklar that Kran have companion love
According to triangular theory of love, love without passion is a companionate love. Now companionate love usually appears several years after the marriage. People don't really get married if they don't feel passionate for each other.
Despite I think kran have more then companion love in "love love"I'm pretty sure I didn't use my "slippery flipperly mega dumb' argument to state that  ::)
PUH! ( :-[ Got carried away)
anyways, again I shall ask Kemedes when he's on  :flowers:

Draklar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2007, 06:48:19 am »
They at least have to know the companion love as you said, else they would have evolved into some kind of self caring parasite attacking everything that comes in it's way.
You may wish to read some ingame books.

And as I said, companionate love is hardly enough to make people marry each other.
AKA Skald

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2007, 06:53:34 am »
Say, for example, you are a male hetrosexual. You have a male best friend whom you care very much about, in fact love dearly yet in a completely non sexual way. Would you marry your male best friend because you love them?

Socius Rockus

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2007, 07:18:16 am »
Yeah, you see, you say heterosexual. In that case probably not. But it's hard to talk about sexual preference in a society with multiple "Compatible" races of which one doesn't have a gender. Aslo your question insinuates that I know my preference, how would I know? I mean if I'm heterosexual It's because I'm in love with (in my case) a girl, If I loved my friend more I might be a homosexual. 

I mean , C'mon! Why on earth is it so hard to accept that two things can love each other and marry for that reason? Why don't you ask why on earth things aka people have to marry in the first place? marriage is nothing more then an expression of love, I can't help it that in RL some bureaucrats, rules, formalities and whatever made 'our' RL marriage as how it is.  That doesn't mean PS marriages should be held the same way, or for the same reasons. Because they can't.

we have to think further then the "normal" definitions of love and marriage in a society completely different then ours (ours <-- being RL).
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 07:20:08 am by Socius Rockus »

evil scotsman

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2007, 08:38:58 am »
Say, for example, you are a male hetrosexual. You have a male best friend whom you care very much about, in fact love dearly yet in a completely non sexual way. Would you marry your male best friend because you love them?

A Kran by definition cannot be male, so this pretty much ends the logic of that chain of reasoning.

As far as the topic of Kran having emotional responses that are analogous to what we know, well lets put it this way, settings has nothing to say on the subject of Kran emotionality, so we can pretty much RP them more freely than perhaps we can Ylian, since ylian are constricted to 'normal' human emotional responses.

RP in PS must be in line with settings, however in situatuions where there are no rules defined, then we must be free to decide for ourselves how we RP our characters. To define Kran as emotionless, or incapable of feeling empathy for other beings would leave us with nothing to do with kran other than to mindlessly eat, sleep and reproduce. If we allow kran any emotional responses then they must be allowed to express them, in a consistent RP manner, this must include Love, Hate, Passion, Ennui, or in fact any emotion that we as humans feel appropriate to the situation.

I for one think that Socius has it right, we need to think beyond our narrow RL definitions in a society that has many sentient species, since sentience appears to include emotion.

Finally, I'd like to congratulate Kemedes and Akashani, and wish them happiness in their union  :thumbup:
All right, look at my shoes
Not quite the walkin' blues
Don't fight, too much to lose
Can't fight the runnin' blues.

Zeyn Scauts, Bluae Mohune and Kighise Moromoreck in Yliakum

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2007, 09:04:26 am »
So we should fill gaps in the settings as we see fit? That just leads to total inconsistancy.

Draklar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2007, 10:18:47 am »
As far as the topic of Kran having emotional responses that are analogous to what we know, well lets put it this way, settings has nothing to say on the subject of Kran emotionality, so we can pretty much RP them more freely than perhaps we can Ylian, since ylian are constricted to 'normal' human emotional responses.
Ah, but the setting provides information about Derghir emotionality, and Derghir are biologically very similar to the Kran.
A Kran by definition cannot be male, so this pretty much ends the logic of that chain of reasoning.
If I understood Parallo correctly, his example was meant to provide a situation akin to that of a companionate love. If it is so, then no matter whether we're talking male, female, a pebble or a zebra. The logic stands as valid.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 10:38:55 am by Draklar »
AKA Skald