Author Topic: Relation of in game months to RL dates  (Read 3952 times)

neko kyouran

Relation of in game months to RL dates
« on: June 15, 2010, 07:30:46 am »
To better help you all coordinate your RPs, as well as better incorporate the in game settings and terminology, below is a list of how the in game months associate to real world dates.

Unodin1st April – 6th May
Byari7th May – 12th June
Treman13th June – 18th July
Kravaan19th July – 23rd August
Quintahl 24th August – 28th September
Azhord29th September – 4th November
Ylaaren5th November – 10th December
Dwanden           11th December – 15th January
Novari 16th January – 21st Febuary
Yndoli 22st Febuary – 31th March

Zon

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Roving Raiders
    • View Profile
Re: Relation of in game months to RL dates
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 11:56:40 am »
THis is very helpful. Game months finally has arrived

Geoni

• Veteran
  • -
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 12:02:14 pm »
In case you want to give your character a birthday, and don't want to do counting or math:

Unodin is 36 days.

Byari is 37 days.

Treman is 36 days.

Kravaan is 36 days.

Quintahl is 36 days.

Azhord is 37 days.

Ylaaren is 36 days.

Dwanden is 36 days.

Novari is 37 days.

Yndoli is 38 or 39* days. *in case of leap year
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 12:11:38 pm by Geoni »

-sig by sarras

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 02:12:05 am »
^ Uno<d>in
__

I wonder how much seasons are present in Yliakum. Because 10 is not dividable by 4, there are possibly not the same "4 seasons" as we know. Will there be a notable spring and autumn at all? Will they be only 2 months, with 3 months per summer and winter - or 2.5 month each - or 2 months per 5 seasons? And how much does the climate change at all over the year, being in a rather protected environment?

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Geoni

• Veteran
  • -
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 01:18:01 pm »
^ Uno<d>in
__

I wonder how much seasons are present in Yliakum. Because 10 is not dividable by 4, there are possibly not the same "4 seasons" as we know. Will there be a notable spring and autumn at all? Will they be only 2 months, with 3 months per summer and winter - or 2.5 month each - or 2 months per 5 seasons? And how much does the climate change at all over the year, being in a rather protected environment?

I fixed it. And about the seasons, what is the explanation/myth about how they work in PS? Especially winter. Heard it used to snow.

-sig by sarras

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 02:42:32 pm »
Sorry, another typo: Quintahl ;)

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 09:40:12 am »
At first blush the day handling of the months does not make a lot of sense to me. It appears that one game day is being equated to one real day. For example, with the month of Unodin being 36 days and stretching from April 1 - May 6th; which is also 36 real days. From my understanding the game to real time ratio is 6:1. Therefore one would expect to find that Unodin has 216 game days. Is there something, perhaps, being overlooked in my observation?

It appears that one game year is being attempted to fit into one real year which; no matter what the exact ratio of game time to real time is; is simply wrong.

- Nova

[ Edit - spelling correction]
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 09:49:27 am by novacadian »

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 10:09:53 am »
As already mentioned before: Due to the timezones of our world, it would be pretty unfair to those who sleep several hours in a row (and I hope that are most of us) to miss whole days of the in-game time while sleeping not in the same 1/6th day rhythm as the in-game time. Therefore, events will usually happen without respect for the in-game time.

The in-game time has no continuous relation to the real world time.

Or more mathematically, the relation would be a non-continuous and non-unique (ambiguous) function.

And before you cry out loudly ... did you ever ignore the daytime you logged in? Or do you always let your char sleep right after logging in because you logged in "in the middle of the night" in-game?

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 09:09:52 am »
LigH, your post only demonstrates to me a serious flaw in the settings. Your point about when the player may choose to sleep has no relevance if a game time is the goal of the exercise of creating a game calendar. One can go through a week's worth of sleeping between sessions of taking out a table rpg character; so your point about players' sleeping habits seem mute.

Of course bringing about a real game time would bring other challenges. For example what has the character done during the player's off line time. On our table rpg this is when we get to train our characters; moving the character's game time toward current game time in so doing. So instead of walking up to an NPC teacher and in one milisecond of game time doubling your strength; it would be made more realistic by showing the player that the game time has moved ahead to reflect the extercising required to have done so; and to restrict the advancement of such strength building if there is no game time to justify it.

It may be getting the cart before the horse, yet that would be my suggestion once this game time issue is straightened out.

As it is right now there may as well not be either the time of day being displayed or the calendar as laid out in this thread. They are in conflict with each other and make absolutely no in game sense. Without a real game time the other issues mentioned will never be addressed. Without them more corners will be cut to move PS further and further from a IC (character) perspective to an OOC (player) one; to the detriment of it's mandated goals.

- Nova

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 10:03:55 am »
MMO's have different requirements than single-player or table-top RPGs as well. Time within an MMO will likely never match up to your PnP standards. Another mandated goal of the game is simply fun. Finding every single way where a game does not match up to an envisioned ideal does not count as such. For most of us, anyway.

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 10:47:06 am »
MMO's have different requirements than single-player or table-top RPGs as well. Time within an MMO will likely never match up to your PnP standards. Another mandated goal of the game is simply fun. Finding every single way where a game does not match up to an envisioned ideal does not count as such. For most of us, anyway.

It escapes me where having a proper game time removes fun of game play.  PS' mandate, as understood by me, is to create the best Role Playing environment as possible. Without a proper use of game time that goal will never be reached as further corners will be cut.

For example, there are threads out there bemoaning the grinding of some characters. Employing game time to give logic to such advancement would go a long way to give real in game RPed explanation. There are many other areas where a real game time could be employed. Again, this does not seem to make any distraction from fun of play; indeed to many real Role Players it may well increase it.

When one goes to a class or teaching that is the first step in ones studies. One then goes home and practises. Game Time could be used in that way; so that when a player logs on they are given the current game time and their characters game time and asked if they would like to pracrise anything which they have trained. Doing this would then increase the stats and skills in the areas which they had trained while moving the character forward towards game present. Of course the option should be given to simply move the character directly to game present as well.

The present settings of Game Time gives me great pause about PS and its possible direction. If the goal is to be like all other MMO's then a great niche will be missed with no hope of a non-profit development team keeping abreast of all the other cloned MMOs.

In RP game time is a very important factor. The present Settings being suggested on this thread is a farce in the face of IC RP.

- Nova

[Edit - It should be noted that my character currently has 14,464 pps. They seem to continually accrue do the fact that learn by doing is employed as much as possible. If players were allowed to use up such surpluses of pps while moving the character forward in game time; it seems to me that the mechanics are almost in place to support a real game time strategy in the skills and stats based training. It could also be used in other skills as well; assuming that one character's cooked, stitched gloves or whatever during the time between last log in and the present game time; (p.p.s) which sounds like a lot more fun to me than having to do the learning all real time.]

[Edit - Since posting this note two days ago and advancing 4 levels in various armour types and one in sword my pps total is now 19333. If those could be used to represent practise done to catch up in game time then advancement would be much less painful to players while having the restriction of time movement so that it could not be abused.]

[Edit - There must have been an error on my part reading the first 14,464 pp total. Although a number of monsters have been killed in that period which earned me 12,500+ experience; they only gave 64 pps each. So please just take the example to be that pps continually increase even with intense training while using learn by doing with a toe in a new level.]
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 10:32:53 am by novacadian »

miadon

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 09:51:56 am »
4 hours =  1 PS day
 24 hours =  6 PS days
 48 hours = 12 PS days
 96 hours = 24 PS days
120 hours = 30 PS days
128 hours =  5 days  8 hours = 32 PS days  = 1 PS month
10 days 16 hours  = 2 PS months
16 days  0 hours  = 3 PS months
32 days  0 hours  = 6 PS months
53 days  8 hours  = 1 PS year
106 days 16 hours = 2 PS years
213 days 8 hours  = 4 PS years
320 days 0 hours  = 6 PS years
365 days 0 hours  = 6 PS years 8 months 14 days

More info: http://planeshift.ezpcusa.com/pswiki/index.php?title=Yliakum_Calendar
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 10:06:43 am by miadon »
- MiadonCam (Refresh page to see live in game Miadon Action!!)

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2010, 11:09:46 am »

32 days  0 hours  = 6 PS months

More info: http://planeshift.ezpcusa.com/pswiki/index.php?title=Yliakum_Calendar

For the convenience of planning events, Unodin was mapped to 1st April – 6th May, having 36 days on Earth.

For convenience logic to game time has been thrown out the window. So 32 game days = 32 real days. This is absurd in my estimation; considering the game time clock ticks off at the ratio you have suggested in the Information window.

- Nova

miadon

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2010, 12:01:16 pm »
Well technically until time 'officially starts' we will be forever stuck in the year 750.

I have always thought the internal game clock should have different hours... maybe a 36 hour clock..
- MiadonCam (Refresh page to see live in game Miadon Action!!)

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2010, 12:02:51 pm »
It escapes me how beating to death an unfinished feature in an unfinished game accomplishes anything. Time in game hasn't even started yet. I've been referencing essentially what Miadon posted for years. We might as well say that an unfinished weather system is a "farce in the face of IC RP", or anything else that is not finished in the game. The developers have obviously left the time system to flounder for the purposes of making RP a mockery of itself... or maybe they have it in for your RP.