Author Topic: "Sticks and stones may break my bones..."  (Read 393 times)

Timil Deeps

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
"Sticks and stones may break my bones..."
« on: May 08, 2012, 04:38:21 pm »
"... but words can utterly destroy me." - Retemo Deeps

[Calling all RPers!]

[If you have any RP chatlogs involving gossip or rumors about my char, Timil Deeps, I'd love to include them in an RP thread that I'm getting ready to post here in the somewhat near future! You can either send them to me at
timildeeps.planeshift@yahoo.com
or we can discuss when to post them to the story as it is added. I hope soon to get around to editing and posting my existing logs for this story. One other note, please feel free to post Your logs here as well, but bear in mind that I will be posting the ongoing narrative in roughly the order in which events have occurred. Thus, logs posted by others may not be in sync with the narrative timeline.] ^_^;

[Thanks in advance!]
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 12:17:07 pm by Timil Deeps »

Timil Deeps

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: "Sticks and stones may break my bones..."
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 01:18:48 pm »
[A Brief Description of Raila Ghobevit]
This Akkaio fenki appears to be a huntress. She is clad in well-worn leather gear. A hunting knife is tucked into each of her boots. Over her left eye she wears a patch emblazoned with the image of an Enkidukai paw, the symbol of her clan. A silver pendant bearing the same symbol adorns her neck. Her age is hard to guess, but she is probably in her late 30's or early 40's

Astute observers may note that the leather of her eye-patch appears to be in like-new condition, whereas the rest of her leather equipment shows many signs of wear. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part 1: "How do you really KNOW?"

A late-morning mist still hung in the air as the Akkaio fenki trotted hurriedly into the eastern gate of the city of Hydlaa. She was panting, having just run a very long way at a sustained rate.

One of the gate guards, Moren Findel, noticed the bow and quiver slung on her back, and the handle of a long hunting knife tucked into each of her leather boots. He coughed and called after her, more out of routine and habit than of any real concern.

"Good day, citizen. Adhere to the laws and don't draw your weapons while in the city," he said, his breath making its small contribution to the morning haze.

The fenki, one Raila Ghobevit, already several paces away, came to an abrupt halt. She inhaled slowly and deeply to calm her ragged breathing, then turned. The soldiers could now see that she was wearing a leather patch where her left eye would have been, and she studied each of them in turn with her uncovered right eye.

She briskly approached the one who had addressed her.

"I have an urgent message for the Adani Order," she intoned, using the moment to lightly scritch around the leather strap of her eye-patch. "Could one of you nice gentleman please tell me where I might find them?"

"Uh... I think their temple's near the Eagle Fortress," answered Moren in a disinterested tone.

The second guard, Nevis Revori, interjected, "No, the Adani Temple is in Gugrontid. Everyone knows that."

"Nuh-Uh, you're thinking of the Temple of Talad," countered Moren.

"Tloke-brain, they're -both- in Gugrontid. The Adani Temple is in the village at the base of the tower, and the Temple of Talad is up behind the Stone Head Tavern."

"Ah, well it figures you'd know where  the -tavern- is."

" Hey, what's that supposed to--"

"Gentlemen, GENTLEMEN!" Raila interrupted, her ears flattened back against her head. She paused to make sure she had their full attention. "Tell me: Is it true, the rumor I've heard abroad, that the Hydlaa Guards are reputed to be ignorant and apathetic?"

The guards glanced at each other, and shrugged bewildered.

"We don't know," Moren admitted.

"And we don't care," added Nevis, trying to save face.

Raila merely rolled her eyes in disgust. "I don't have time for this," she muttered as she left the guards standing perplexed at the gate.

She passed swiftly and silently through East Hydlaa and into the main plaza, pausing only briefly to glance at the statue of the masquerade god.

The sonorous chime of metal on metal drew her attention to Harnquist's forge, where the Ylian himself was hammering away at some sword blade or other. He stopped an smiled as the fenki drew near.

"Good morning, Madam. How can I help a noble Enki huntress? Perhaps some new arrows?" he said, nodding to the almost-empty quiver on her back.

Raila smiled, her muzzle wrinkling a bit. At least this Ylian seemed observant and sensible. "I'm actually trying to deliver a message to the Adani Order. Do you know if there are any in Hydlaa at the moment?"

The blacksmith nodded. "Actually, you're in luck." He pointed off to his left, indicating a cobblestone path which ran from the center of the plaza to somewhere behind his smithy. "I saw Mariana of the Adani Order head that way not more than fifteen minutes ago. If you follow that path through the tunnel, you'll probably find her at the Arena. But do be careful; Everyone at the arena is probably spoiling for a fight."

Raila thanked the man and hurried into the tunnel. Despite her weariness and aching footpaws, she was glad to finally be so close to accomplishing her objective.

The Arena is an impressive sight, even for those who have spent many a day testing their mettle there. To Raila, who had never seen it before, it was nothing less than awe-inspiring. Her jaw dropped as she gazed upward at it, trying to take it all in from her vantage point at the mouth of the tunnel. It was the kind of place that made one feel tiny and insignificant, just by being there. She eyed the great carved-stone figures, looking like giant slaves supporting the immeasurable weight of the edifice, as if bearing the burden of the many lives that had been lost within those walls.

This last thought steeled her resolve, and she continued forward with a renewed sense of purpose.

As she dashed up the arena steps Raila tripped and lost her footing. She stumbled forward and reflexively put both handpaws out to catch herself, landing hard on her wrists and knees. "Ow!" she winced as she rolled herself over to a seated position on the stairs.

Just then a Dermorian lady named Celizan rounded the side of the building and noticed the fenki. The felinoid was panting breathlessly, as if she had been running for some time.

"Are you running away from something dangerous to attack?" inquired the Celizan with some concern in her voice.

Raila shook her head. "No, I... *whew* ... I must deliver a message..." she glanced briefly at the elf's hands, as if looking for something specific.

"A message?" repeated the elf.

Raila nodded quickly. Her breathing began to slow, and she appeared to calm somewhat. "It's a long trip from Ojaveda. Even for one in good shape."

"Yes, Oja is a long way...Were you by chance delivering a loaf of bread?"

Raila turned to regard the elf, blinking. "Uhm, no. What a curious idea."

Celizan laughed, "The baker here at the Arena likes to play the occasional joke on her brother in Oja. I thought you might have gotten caught in one of her schemes."

Raila snickered "Oh, you must mean good ol' Orchibaly. Yes, he's an interesting Menki, to say the least." The fenki glanced around, as if looking for someone.

Celizan smiled broadly, "Indeed! So you know him. His sister is a bit calmer, but has a wry sense of humor... But I ramble, if you are out of breath you must be in a hurry; don't let me hold you here."

Raila dipped her head. "It's okay... perhaps you can help me... I need to deliver my message to the Adani Order. I was told I might find one of them here at the Arena."

The elf-lass nodded, her eyes twinkling. "Ah, yes...I was just talking to Mariana of the Order inside the Arena. She is busy training in the Consumer pit now. Very dangerous, those things."

Raila's ears drooped with disappointment. "Oh." She knew she was not yet skilled enough to defend herself against a consumer in a closed-in environment, and even less liked the idea of interrupting someone else's battle with one.

Celizan continued, "Eonwind is also of the order, but I do not know where to find him at this hour. Their guild hall is in Gugrontid."

Raila sighed, "Gugrontid? More running... I think my message can wait perhaps a minute longer." She stretched and worked the joints of her sore knees where she had fallen on them.

"Well, good luck with it," Celizan encouraged her with a wink. "I think I will do a bit more training now myself."

Raila nodded to her. "Good luck to you as well... Dermorian."

The elf smiled cordially. "My name is Celizan."

Nodding once more, the fenki hesitated briefly. "...Raila. Thank you for your time, Celizan."

"Pleased to meet you, Raila. If I see anyone I know from Adani I will tell them to look for you."

The Akkaio offered a small smile in return. "Thank you. Except for... no, that's fine.. thank you." She waved to Celizan as the Dermorian headed into the Arena.

Raila sat on the steps for about five minutes, her heart still pounding at her ribcage like an unruly prisoner trying to break free. She quietly pondered whether to brave the interior of the arena or to begin the trek to Gugrontid. Her sense of urgency compelled her to the first option, while self-preservation suggested the second. It also told her she was terribly thirsty. She pulled a waterpouch from her belongings, and tilted it up to meet her muzzle.

As she drank deeply, the slow metallic cadence of armored boots approaching from behind caught her attention. Lowering her waterpouch she twisted and watched as an Akkaio fenki clad in heavy armor plodded wearily out of the Arena entrance, past Raila, and down to the bottom of the steps.

Raila glanced down at the feline warrior with curiosity and some trepidation. Mustering her courage, she greeted the stranger from behind. "Grrensholo, Tabei."

Mariana turned around slowly, stiffly, and fixed her eyes on the Akkaio sitting upon the stairs. She advanced towards the fenki, stepping up to the first stair and puzzling over her. "Running from clackers and fiendish rats?" she inquired, a hint of laughter in her tone, though her eyes showed kindness rather than spite.

Raila realized she had just been holding her breath in anticipation, and let it out with a small gasp and some nervous laughter. She smiled and shook her head. "No, heheh... It's just... I must deliver a message."

Mariana arched a curious brow. "What sort of message? To whom? You seem to be in a rather grievous hurry."

Raila nodded, breathing more calmly. "I need to find someone from the Adani Order. I was told I might find one here at the Arena."

Mariana blinked in surprise. "Well," she offered. "It appears you've already succeeded." She raised her paw and stretched it out to Raila. "Mariana, knight in the Order."

The messenger did a double-take, giving more attention to Mariana's knightly-looking armor, as well as the Adani signet ring on her finger, and gasped again. "Of course, of course! At last, my long run is over!"

Mariana's face showed concern as she lowered her arm back to her side. "Is there a problem, miss?" She inquired, eyes flicking above her head and towards the corridor as if trying to figure out an alternative motive for all her mad sprinting.

-And now the moment of truth,- thought Raila as she mentally prepared to deliver her message. Would the Adani believe her? "I am Raila... and I've come to warn the Adani... to warn you... that there is a traitor among your ranks."

Mariana's muzzle shifted down into a frown. "What do you mean?"

Letting her emotions guide her, Raila got a plaintive look in her eyes. "The man I'm talking about is a liar, and the son of a liar. His father has enslaved my sister, as well as others of my clan who tried to rescue her."

Mariana slowly narrowed her eyes in thought. She observed Raila in a new kind of light, letting her eyes slide up and down her slowly. "Ah," she replied, calculatedly. "Ahh. I think I see."

Raila frowned at the fenki's reaction, ears flattening, eyes dropping to the ground. "You don't believe me," she said softly, almost dejectedly, then added in angrily muttered tones, "Damn, he's good at what he does.. that bastard."

Mariana sighed softly. "He's a friend of mine," the fenki admitted. "He's described to me details about a conflict between a Ylian and an Enki tribe. I wasn't aware they were ongoing, though. Your sister isn't a slave, Raila. She's married to Timil's father."

Raila stood and turned a hard gaze on Mariana. "Listen. That's what he wants you to believe, but how do you really KNOW? He probably told you about how my sister was 'rescued' from a trap by Retemo Deeps, the humble farmer... But I know the truth. That trap was set by the 'farmer' himself. I was with my sister when we were hunting that day, and I ran to get help when she got stuck. When I got back, she was gone."

Mariana carefully folded her arms over her chest and raised her chin. Raila could sense from the steel in the Adani's eyes that she was talking to someone not so easily swayed.

"Very well," Mariana replied. "I'm not one to retract from giving benefit of the doubt. As you say, I will go and see myself. Tell me where exactly it is you are from. I'll visit your sister personally, get her alone, and speak to her on the matter. If what you imply is actually truth, then I'll seek to free her."

Raila abruptly looked hopeful. "You WILL? You'll actually help me free her? This is better than I could have hoped for! Retemo moved his operation down to the Barn level after my tribe started our attempts to end his slaving business... Oh yes, my sister isn't the only one."

Mariana slowly narrowed her eyes. Something flickered in them, something akin to anger, but also a deep seated pain. Betrayal, perhaps. She turned slightly away from Raila. "I will address it first. I don't know you, but I know him. I will speak with him about the matter, but know this. I'm not going to simply take your word. I will dig. I will garner information, and truth." She spoke the words with her back turned, and then pivoted on her heel, pointing her finger at Raila. "Now listen carefully. If I find that you are telling bald-faced lies, there will be severe consequences. Do I make myself clear?" The anger bore full force, as one lip peeled back to reveal a row of sharp, pointed fangs. With a wave of her paws, a geyser of magical flames erupted and encircled the knight, as if to punctuate her statement.

Raila jumped back from the pyrotechnic display and nodded earnestly. "Of course, I would expect no different."

Mariana closed her paws, and with a mere snap the fire vanished, though certainly not from her eyes. "Good," she grated out. With that, she turned on her heel, and moved towards the tunnel.

Raila watched the other fenki depart, her heart once again pounding on the bars of its prison. Her left ear twitched uncomfortably where the strap of her eye-patch rubbed against it, and she scritched at the area reflexively. -That didn't go as well as I would have liked,- she thought to herself. -I guess it's time for option two. No rest for the weary...-

She sighed, and started making her way toward Hydlaa's North Gate.

----------------------------------------------
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 09:36:06 pm by Timil Deeps »

Caraick

• Veteran
  • I liked PS before it was cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 02:58:02 pm »
 :thumbup: That was a great read. Keep em coming!
Hey look kids, it's the antichrist Marsuveus!
What? Doesn't he just look huggable? Aw, c'mon, give him a hug.

Timil Deeps

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 06:27:22 am »
:thumbup: That was a great read. Keep em coming!

Thanks Caraick!  O--)

Cirerey

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 09:13:33 am »
(08:54:14) Raila says: "As sure as my name is Raila Ghobevit!"
(08:54:37) Eardstapa says: CIrerey, good klyros, this sister, Raila, hath a serious problem and needeth help!
(08:54:56) Cirerey says: And how may this klyros be of help?
(08:56:15) Eardstapa says: Well, Raila knoweth the kidnappers of his sister - and calleth them by the family name Deeps!
(08:56:42) Cirerey says: Deeps? I know of only one Deeps, a young man of good reputation.
(08:57:03) Cirerey says: Perhaps he has a less honerable cousin.
(08:58:04) Eardstapa frowns as the guard passes, then resumes in a softer voice to Raila and Cirerey, "Aye, Raila, perhaps 'tis his family are the bad apples. Nonetheless, if thou knowst where thy sister is being kept...?"
(08:58:49) >Callay Difut stands up.
(08:58:50) Cirerey says: Yes. The innocent must be rescued, and the evildoer punished. It is Xiosia's way!
(08:59:15) Raila says: "My sister, Paulandra has been kept as a slave by Retemo Deeps, father of Timil Deeps. And don't believe that the son is innocent either. He is heir to his family's business."
(09:00:33) Cirerey says: Where is she kept. We can raise a force to free her. That is the most important thing, that she come to no further harm.
(09:01:33) Eardstapa says: A slavery business? Unacceptable. And punishable by law." Her sheaf of posters rustle and she holds one out to Raila. "Pray, where may we find this Retemo? I passed TImil but moments ago, by the smithy.
(09:01:57) Raila says: "The deeps farm is on the Barn level. It's a veritable prison compound, and they grow herbs there that are used for... shady purposes."
(09:02:29) Cirerey says: Ah, and the octarch of the barn <spits>
(09:02:38) Cirerey says: There is little justice there.
(09:03:17) Eardstapa , seizing her chance, also holds a poster out to Cirerey.(09:03:55) Cirerey takes the poster and examines it. "Ah, so you are the one behind this..."
(09:04:39) Raila says: "Yes, the Octarchy has turned a blind eye to our cause. My friend Sekto has been trying to handle the legal side of things."
(09:04:49) Eardstapa says: Abominable! Trefoil and certain other weeds - may bend one's will! Aye, Cirerey, but not I alone...
(09:05:33) Cirerey says: Perhaps a raid is still possible. We would need a number of strong warriors - enough that the guards would choose to follow the law, for the sake of their own skins.
(09:06:14) Raila says: "Yes, that was it, Trefoil... a particularly potent variety, too."
(09:06:59) Raila says: "I hear that groups such as the Adani are sending investigations down there... and individuals, such as that Klyros woman, Evirea, are going sometime as well."
(09:07:26) Eardstapa shakes her head. "Friends there is but one way to handle the legal side - by changing the system. Raila, thou shouldst join us, aye, mount a raid as a sign to the octarch and all that free citizens bow to no one." She sets her jaw firmly (under the yellow kerchief). "And this Timil... I wonder what he hath to say in his defence?"
(09:08:00) Cirerey says: Then we must ally. When the time comes to strike, call to me and my meager strength is with you.
(09:08:44) Raila scoffs. "The Ylian denies all, and has the affrontery to call Paulandra his 'mother!'... Not a drop of Enki blood in him, though."
(09:09:00) Cirerey says: As for the octarch of the barn, it is time for him to be replaced. <flexes claws>
(09:09:29) Raila smiles inwardly.
(09:09:40) Cirerey says: But no letters from your sister? If she were married, she would surely say so.
(09:10:50) Eardstapa's eyes narrow. "The revolution hath more might than is visible on these streets. But the Adani and this Evirea - I know not what side they take in this matter of the octarch.... And surely, 'tis very odd to claim someone thy mam whom thou keepst in prison-like conditions..."
(09:10:58) Raila says: "Funny you should mention it, I do have letters written in her hand. Her penmenship is quite distinctive."
(09:11:11) >Raila Ghobevit dropped a book.
(09:11:23) Cirerey tilts his head slightly and waits
(09:11:42) Eardstapa looks at Cirerey, then back at Raila expectantly.
(09:12:25) Cirerey nods "The truth is present in itself"
(09:12:51) [NPC] Bevon Damerr says: Hail, greetings.
(09:13:59) Raila says: "And I have left other such letters with the Adani as evidence. And I have a sample of Trefoil from their farm."
(09:14:08) Raila glances around surreptitiously
(09:14:48) Cirerey says: My intent is set. To free the unfree, to punish the wicked, and to embarrass the <pauses to let the vigesimi pass> government that fails the people.
(09:14:59) Cirerey says: Call me when you need me.
([Cirerey departs]
…
[Cirerey returns
(09:18:46) Eardstapa nods, half guilty that she harbours unspoken reservations - Timil always seemed a nice bloke. "But the Barn - is a long distance from here. I shall have to begin our investigations on this level, Raila."
(09:19:15) Eardstapa points, "And pray, what happened to thine eye?"
(09:19:21) Cirerey says: My ears are open. What I learn I shall report.

Timil Deeps

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 12:10:54 pm »
Thanks, Cirerey!  :thumbup:

Cairn

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Older than a few mountains.
    • View Profile
    • Creative Minds Forum
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 10:41:15 pm »
I'm enjoying reading through these and gathering a collective of information, Timil.
I regret to announce that this is the end.

I bid you all a very fond farewell

Timil Deeps

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 11:52:12 am »
[Hi all! I'm still working on putting together my next couple of posts, which so far are 90% backstory and exposition, to try and bring the reader up to speed, and to set up what's to follow. I might need to rework them a bit more to feel more RP-ish.]

[In other news, there's a good chance I'll be able to be online for RP during significant portions of the day and evening of Monday, June 18th, The evening and night of Tuesday, June 19th, and possibly the morning of Wed, June 20th! (East Coast USA here, I'll have to get back to you on specific times GMT.)]

[This will probably be my best shot at doing the group RP for visiting the Barn Level, probably via IRC. I have tons of material still to put together and post on here before that section of the story comes up, but I wanted to announce it here so that interested players can contact me (see first post of this thread) and we can decide the specifics of how to orchestrate this.]

~Timil~

Timil Deeps

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 08:14:34 am »
[ Note to the reader: This post as well as my next may be lengthy and will contain about 90% backstory and exposition. But I felt it might be helpful for those who are not familiar with Timil's character, and to serve as a preface to events that will follow. Thank you for reading and commenting! Thanks also to Mariana and Caraick for being my test-readers, and for encouraging me to develop my story! ]

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Part 2a: Down Memory Lane

As Raila stalked toward Gugrontid, Timil Deeps lay convalescent in a bedroom at Kada El's Inn. He had been there for a few days now since his run-in with a maniacal falchion-and-claymore-wielding Diaboli, who had assaulted the Ylian without provocation. Timil had survived (thanks to rescue by his guildmates Eonwind and Shadow) with 3 fractured ribs, bruises and abrasions all over, and some strong feelings of self-derision for being so easily gulled and caught off guard. 

Now he was able to do little more than stare up at the ceiling and reflect on the course of his life that had brought him to this point. He would have allowed himself a wistful chuckle, were it not for the fact that his cracked ribs made it agony to laugh.
     Or talk.
     ... Or breathe.

The Ylian closed his eyes and let his mind wander through memories, both recent and not so recent.

His adventures since becoming an apprentice in the Adani Order had certainly not been what he had expected when he had set out from his parents' farm to experience the world firsthand. Retemo and Paulandra Deeps had, with some reservation, encouraged him to explore the lands he had only read about while growing up, to make some good friends, and to decide for himself if he would someday like to inherit his father's business.

Retemo had given Timil his unconditional blessing on the venture, for although the elder Deeps was a very practical farmer, he was also a quite a philosophical and artistic person as well: sort of a 'Renaissance Ylian' [if the reader will pardon the use of the Terran term]. He wanted Timil to discover whatever destiny the gods might have in store, whether it meant returning to inherit the farm or otherwise.

Timil's mother Paulandra, an Akkaio teacher and erstwhile huntress, had also blessed him, but with the hope that he might one day return with someone special and news of potential grand-babies.

"Mooom!" Timil had said to her, rolling his eyes at the suggestion. Even now the memory of it made him do the same, but with a wry smile as he recalled her retort.

"Whaaat?" she had teased, mimicking his tone and trying unsuccessfully to feign innocence despite the toothy grin that parted her muzzle. "After all, in Enki years, you would have had a mate by now and I could expect to have had at least a couple of grand-cubs. Your father and I are not getting any younger, you know," she winked.

Despite her bringing up the comparison of Enkidukai lifespans to those of Ylians, Timil thought his mother had always looked the same age, and perceived her as quite beautiful. Timil also knew that although he had not been born an Enki, Paulandra loved him dearly for who and what he was. She had often told him it didn't matter if he had been born with fur or without, he was still her 'cub'. It was a term of endearment that meant much to Timil, even if he would never admit so in front of her. But somehow she knew it anyway, as mothers often do.

Timil's first destination after his departure from home had been the city of Nalvys, the closet city to the Deeps Farm, and still a good 2 days' walk. There he had been attracted to a local tavern by the sound of happy voices singing a merry drinking song, interrupted occasionally by fits of raucous laughter.

That had been the first and only time Timil had allowed himself to get drunk.   

He had awoken the next morning in an alley outside the tavern, tria pouch missing, splitting headache, but otherwise unharmed.

"You will not go running home," Timil had scolded himself, though whether determination prodded him forward or shame kept him from going back, he could not say.

He managed to get himself hired on as a porter for a traveling book merchant who made regular trips between the Barn and the Dome levels.

"I can't pay a lot," the merchant had admitted to him, "but you'll have three square meals a day, and all the books and scrolls you can read in your leisure time."

This arrangement suited Timil to a 'T', as it were. His favorite pastime when not helping his father work the farm or being tutored by his mother had been to read their modest, but eclectic collection of literature, both fiction and non-fiction. The merchant's inventory had plenty of works Timil had never seen before.

Timil's first ride on the Hydlaa-Nalvys Winch had been an awe-inspiring and heart-stopping experience. The winch platform was suspended by three ropes made of Arangma silk that had been thickly woven and enchanted for added tensile strength. Although they provided sufficient stability, the ropes still allowed the platform to sway, shimmy, and twist in the wind as it slowly, agonizingly made its ascent to the Dome level. The phenomenon of small, erratic motions filled one with the unfounded yet ever present suspense that the cables might break, leaving passengers and cargo to plummet back to the city below. Those fears never came to fruition; the mechanical marvel made the trip without incident, as it had for many years prior, and could be expected to for many years to come.

"You get used to it," said the merchant, with knowing smile. "And it's more economical than owning and maintaining a fleet of pterosaurs or megaras." [see footnote]

"Not to mention cleaning up after them," added Timil with a wry grin. Part of his duty was to care for and clean up after the small team of goujas that pulled the bookseller's cart.

After Timil completed his agreed term with the kind merchant, they parted ways amicably. Timil elected to remain in Hydlaa and for a long time made his living running errands and doing odd jobs while getting to know the locals, both in the capitol and in the neighboring cities. He also learned some magic and a few trade-skills, as well as getting some training to improve his meager self-defense skills.

He had tried joining a particular militaristic guild, but found that it did not suit him. He was 'rescued' from that decision by a couple of friends who were members of the then-secret guild, Ad Libertatum. Their ideals of freedom and equality appealed to the Ylian, and he remained with them for several months.

And then one evening, feeling rather lonely and homesick, Timil had wandered into Kada El's, looking for some simple fellowship and conversation. Little had he known that the path of his life was about to turn a corner.

[continued next post...]
-----------------------------------------------
[* The merchant was using hyperbole here, since the Law forbids anyone from owning more than one pterosaur or megara.]
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 09:39:28 pm by Timil Deeps »

Caraick

• Veteran
  • I liked PS before it was cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 09:26:54 pm »
Very nice, Timil  :thumbup: I'm very glad to see you taking the development of your story seriously, and personally. Nice job.  ;)
Hey look kids, it's the antichrist Marsuveus!
What? Doesn't he just look huggable? Aw, c'mon, give him a hug.

Timil Deeps

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 06:19:50 am »
Very nice, Timil  :thumbup: I'm very glad to see you taking the development of your story seriously, and personally. Nice job.  ;)

Thank you Caraick!  O--)

Cairn

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Older than a few mountains.
    • View Profile
    • Creative Minds Forum
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 12:22:21 pm »
Double that up - and I also apologize for not getting my say in on the Barn rp for as long as I wanted.
I regret to announce that this is the end.

I bid you all a very fond farewell

Timil Deeps

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 03:58:19 pm »
Part 2b: Down Memory Lane, Continued

Taking another deep, painful breath, Timil again closed his eyes and smiled to himself as the scene from memory replayed in his mind's eye.

It had been a seemingly innocuous yet fateful event when Timil made the acquaintance of Mariana of the Adani Order at Kada El's tavern. Their simple discussion of the different Magic Ways had somehow turned to the topic of the relations between the different races of Yliakum, and in that hour Timil had codified a purpose for himself that had hitherto been merely a collection of impulses and paradigms in his mind: he would make it one of his life's goals to promote peace, brotherhood, and understanding between the various sentient races inhabiting Yliakum. Although overt racism was illegal by Octarchal decree, there were still those who harbored prejudices against other races and even acted on those beliefs. Timil wanted to be an advocate, an ambassador, a mediator to train others in the habit of looking for goodness in their fellow beings.

Yes, it was an idealistic notion, but one that energized Timil and gave him a sense of purpose.

It was not long after their first meeting that Mariana invited Timil to speak with Caraick, Master of the Adani Order. The ideals to which the Order aspired were right up Timil's alley, so-to-speak, and he soon joined up and began learning their ways. However he had not yet chosen a mentor within the order.

Shortly after becoming an Adani, Timil had met Evirea, a mysterious Klyros woman of many talents, who provided Timil with a potion to help him sleep soundly instead of sleepwalking. The potion was an effective treatment for the symptoms of the problem, and Timil soon came to regard the Evirea as a trusted friend, despite her sometimes gruff and aloof demeanor. 

It was partly due to his concern for Evirea that Timil got himself involved in the investigation of the Plaza Fountain True Death murders, very nearly becoming a victim himself. He still had a scar on his left bicep where the murderer's permadeath-poisoned dagger had cut him. Evirea had saved him with an antidote, and a traveling healer named Lelarar (another Klyan) had enchanted him with an experimental mixture of alchemy and glyphs from various ways, the ostensible result of which was to grant Timil ongoing immunity to True-Death poisons. (Due to Lelarar's inclusion of a certain Brown Way glyph, a side effect was that some kinds of True-Death poisons might cause the infected area to turn temporarily to stone.) Timil had never tested it out, but the scar on his bicep glowed softly ever since the treatment.

"Then there was the plague," thought Timil darkly as his memories began to progress more rapidly. The plague had given him terrible delusions and hallucinations that had manifested as a kind of 'Enkiphobia', an irrational fear that all Enkis were out to kill him. Mariana witnessed the effects of it firsthand when Timil had tried to flee at the sight of her. His worst hallucination of all had been a vision of his own mother murdering his father and then coming after him. Even now, several weeks after having been cured of the plague, the horrifying scene had occasionally revisited Timil in his nightmares.

The curing of the plague had itself been a strange sequence of events, and had some unexpected side-effects. Three different treatments were started on the Ylian, and only one was ever finished.

The first was a magic-and-faith-based cure by Eonwind, with assistance from a Nolthrir known to Timil as Karnath. That treatment had failed because, according to Eonwind, Timil had not had sufficient faith in any of the gods or goddesses to enact the cure.

The second treatment was a vaccine that Evirea derived from Timil's own blood. The next stage would have required burning off the outer layers of Timil's skin, and healing immediately by a Crystal Way master. Timil... never got around to it.

The third treatment Timil received was from an unlikely source, Stellan. The Diaboli had suffered from the plague as well, and had proffered a potion with instructions to take a little each day until it was gone.

Timil had finished the potion, and it seemed to do the trick. However, it was not long before Timil discovered an unforeseen side-effect, or perhaps a cumulative result of interactions between his various treatments: His magic was now random. It did not matter which glyphs he had in his hand, nor what spells he tried to cast; 9 times out of 10, some other spell from a random Way would issue forth.

Despite this handicap, Timil had been able to assist in ending the career (and life) of the True-Death murderer, the rescue of Evirea, and had been recommended by Mariana for promotion to knighthood within the Adani Order. His Akkaio mentor had even given him a beautiful new alexandrite-encrusted sabre to commemorate his progress, as well as their friendship. Timil treasured the sword, and kept it peace-tied in its scabbard.

Opening his eyes, he glanced over at the sword, which stood leaning against the windowpane. The light from the Azure Sun refracted through the alexandrite crystals, causing intermingled patches of bluish green and dark red to decorate the walls and furnishings of Timil's room. He smiled, enjoying the effect and wondering if Mariana had somehow found out that alexandrite was his birthstone [do they have 'birthstones' in Yliakum?], or if it was mere coincidence.

A knock at the door interrupted Timil's reverie, and he craned his neck to see who his visitor might be.

â€śCome in?” he verbally beckoned.

The shadow of an Enki darkened the door as it entered. It was carrying a large bow.

[To be continued...]