Author Topic: Lets make PlaneShift Unreal  (Read 326746 times)

Pierre

Re: Lets make PlaneShift Unreal
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2015, 03:30:27 pm »
If you are going to switch engine, will there be a character wipe?
NO.

HA!  This is why Eonwind is awesome.  SHUT that &*$?% right down.

So!  Unreal looks gorgeous, and will go faster the more of us contribute, so we should download the engine and start playing around as Talad said.

Onward  :sorcerer:

Tidebringer

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • A wanderer at heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2015, 06:01:47 pm »
I wasn't really that worried, just didn't really quite know what exactly it was. :whistling:
And yes, Eonwind is awesome! :thumbup:
Unreal PlaneShift looks really cool so far. I like that it might eventually allow my Nolthrir to swim, and my Klyros to fly... And breath underwater. Both of them. Because they can do that.
On the topic of breathing underwater, Kran don't 'breathe' in the sense we're used to. They just pull the oxygen from whatever's around them... Allowing them to breathe underwater.
Nolthrir have gills... So... The underwater breathing is obvious.
And as for Klyros... It just says they can breathe underwater. So, do hey have gills or what?
Buy some goods, sell some bads, at the Weekly Hydlaa Market!
You might know me as Fesara Fuhay: Herbalist, Scribe, and Aspiring Healer ;)

Shatterkiss

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2015, 06:44:50 pm »
And as for Klyros... It just says they can breathe underwater. So, do hey have gills or what?

They do.  On the Klyros species page in the section on vlax it mentions that you could "pin" your opponent in water by covering his/her gill slits.

Tidebringer

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • A wanderer at heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2015, 09:15:57 pm »
They do.  On the Klyros species page in the section on vlax it mentions that you could "pin" your opponent in water by covering his/her gill slits.

Thank you. :thumbup:
Forgot about that. ;D
Buy some goods, sell some bads, at the Weekly Hydlaa Market!
You might know me as Fesara Fuhay: Herbalist, Scribe, and Aspiring Healer ;)

CheatCat

« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2015, 02:00:24 am »
If you are going to switch engine, will there be a character wipe?
NO.

Sorry, was just asking... I have no understanding how hard or simple it is to move the planeshift databases over to whatever format Unreal Engine use.

Pierre

« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2015, 02:14:26 am »
Valid question in my opinion, CheatCat.  The response was great, especially because I was worried about exactly what Rigwyn said, an exodus.

That was a very satisfying "NO" let's put it that way.  Cheers.   O--)

P.S.  Download the engine and git to work everyone  :detective:

EDIT:  [Do you realize how difficult it is not to post a couple one liners in this thread, i.e. "Will the new engine wipe my hard drive?"  "So I guess the new engine will invalidate my driver's license?" but I will refrain from wringing my hands, gnashing my teeth and tearing my hair in the forums (I'm afraid of the repercussions  ;D)].
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 02:29:54 am by Pierre »

Duec2

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2015, 07:20:45 am »
I totally agree a resounding "NO" to a wipe from an official is AWESOME.  Simple easy no room for question. 

pete992000

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2015, 04:00:42 am »
Hi guys

I just went to download the unreal engine it says windows or mac.
I heard it's ok on linux.

<--- linux user

Regards Pete

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2015, 04:02:32 am »
Hi guys

<--- linux user

Regards Pete
it's supported for linux, but I think the tools have to be compiled.

miadon

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2015, 09:54:26 am »
*Miadon remembers the last full wipe*

(No one left then as it was just an accepted fact that there would be wipes. Been so long ago now that I think people forgot about it. Also so few people play now compared to back then. That unless the data is really corrupt it really doesn't matter too much about a couple of bugged level gains here and there.) 

Anyway interesting to hear of this future game engine change.  Do wonder about Hydlaa Maps.. will they be merged into one region. Will People be able to see the Winch from the tower?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 09:57:11 am by miadon »
- MiadonCam (Refresh page to see live in game Miadon Action!!)

Venalan

• Global Moderator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2015, 12:31:19 pm »
Hi guys

<--- linux user

Regards Pete

First, the editor is not fully supported on linux, but we can 'build the game' for linux very easily so it shouldn't be a problem for our linux gamers.

*Miadon remembers the last full wipe*

(No one left then as it was just an accepted fact that there would be wipes. Been so long ago now that I think people forgot about it. Also so few people play now compared to back then. That unless the data is really corrupt it really doesn't matter too much about a couple of bugged level gains here and there.) 

Anyway interesting to hear of this future game engine change.  Do wonder about Hydlaa Maps.. will they be merged into one region. Will People be able to see the Winch from the tower?

Second, right now we are planning to export PS exactly like it is atm. So this would mean individual maps with join regions. Having PS more like an 'open world' would be more possible with UE4. But its not currently something we have planned.

Duec2

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2015, 01:39:35 pm »
with respect to land I only ask for 2 things

1) a way around Hydlaa so you can go by land from oja to gug without going through town.

2) a Dermorian home town

Shatterkiss

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2015, 03:41:35 pm »
The main Dermorian settlement is Quintherion, and that's listed as level 1 so when it gets added it'll probably be a bit bigger thana town. It says that's in the Great Forest, thought, and I thought that was level 2.

miadon

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2015, 04:27:56 pm »
It's been a long long time.. correct me if I am wrong but Ojaveda isn't even in the correct location. It's just in a "temporary spot".

I know map creation/alteration is out of the scope of porting to the new engine.. but I would love the sewers to be redone.. so that they actually make sense.  They don't follow to any relation to Hydlaa above.  They were made before the Library zone or Bronze Doors were made.. so the sewers don't actually go underneath those parts of Hydlaa.  Would be quite a cool way to break into the bronze doors region.. some pick locked gates in the sewers. :P
- MiadonCam (Refresh page to see live in game Miadon Action!!)

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2015, 05:50:10 am »
I know map creation/alteration is out of the scope of porting to the new engine.. but I would love the sewers to be redone.. so that they actually make sense.  They don't follow to any relation to Hydlaa above.  They were made before the Library zone or Bronze Doors were made.. so the sewers don't actually go underneath those parts of Hydlaa.  Would be quite a cool way to break into the bronze doors region.. some pick locked gates in the sewers. :P
There is a way to do it now  :P