Author Topic: Cooking Fair - Discussion thread  (Read 1167 times)

Mordaan

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Cooking Fair - Discussion thread
« on: August 24, 2009, 09:47:05 am »
Ok, we have now had two fairs in our monthly series.  Next up will be the cooking fair.  The date is not yet determined but tentatively I'd say September 26.

The fairs have been nice but I'd say they could be organized a lot better...but I can't do it alone.

So this time I am asking for suggestions from the community.  Cooking has been one of the more "it" skills as of late so I'm sure people have opinions.

So the question is, what do you think would make the ultimate cooking fair?  What would make it the best event it could be?  What activities would you like to see included?

I have been leaving things open to let things unfold as they happen but seems like it would be better to have a set itinerary.  Another question is with cooking might it be better to wait until the next update when we can actually consume these items both ICly and OOCly?  Then again, we don't want to wait forever.   :P

Post your thoughts in this thread.
--Overseer, Explorers Guild.

kiou

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Cooking Fair - Discussion thread
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 10:47:50 am »
cooking contest
nuff said
ill judge!  ;D
free food
http://thewhitecorps.webs.com/
my guild website, still being worked on~
* kiou thinks gms should be elected and reviewed~
"Im very smart in some ways, and much stupider in infinitely more ways"

Lhaa

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 01:22:04 pm »
If there is something the Red Crystal Organization can do to help you've just got to say it. ;)

We can mostly offer cattering, guarding, or possibly entertainment, but anything else you can think of....
Also, you can of course give us leaflets for our bookstand as well.

Mordaan

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 03:28:45 pm »
@ kiou:  Sure, bake sale or cooking contest.  Sounds good.   :)

@ Lhaa:  Of course, once we settle on a date and work up the details I will be sure to make up some flyers and get them to you.

Hmm...I wonder what entertainment would be appropriate for a cooking fair? ... a pie throwing contest?   ;D

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 03:31:33 pm »
Pie-eating contest.

Roled

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 04:06:10 pm »
Roled smacks his lips in anticipation.

"May I please join ye in the pie-eating contest? Please if ye would let me know when and where and how soon?"

His grin is huge, as visions of Macca dance in his head.
RR
"RR is a PieSexual" ~ Monala

Elady

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 05:36:27 pm »
How about an Iron Chef type competition. Have a fixed list of ingredients available. The chefs have a limited time to make the best or most complete meal from said ingredients in the alloted time. Probably best to keep the list of available ingredients  secret until the cooking clock starts.

lilura

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • report posts of yours that you want deleted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 09:49:55 pm »
PIE EATTING CONTEST?!......twould be no contest cuz lilura would win... \\o//

Monala arches a brow. "Wait, so eatin' is like..." she shakes her head. "Er, nevermind."
[1: gossip] Monala: Lilu's piesexual.

Zephan

• Traveller
  • Got freedom to choose, better make the right move
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 10:02:28 pm »
I could imagine the pie-eating contest conducted the same way as a beer drinking game I witnessed in the RCD between Orgonwukh anand Stelanso. :D Each participant would RP that they're about to eat the pie, their success/speed would be decided by the highest roll of a die or dice... It could be pretty funny and interesting. The only issue that might be had with this is many participants will make for a long contest, unless the number of pies eaten is limited. Such as fastest person to consume 10 pies or something.
~ Zephan Cystennin, Dermorian Huntsman ~

"Think with your brain and not with your blades."

Elady

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 10:27:09 pm »
I have though of doing a Pie eating contest before. Each person would have 5 pies and use a 10 sided dice to determine who finished each pie the fastest. THe first to finish 3 pies faster wins. IN case of a tie you would go to a 6th pie. The stone head has plenty of generic pies to such a contest.

Zephan

• Traveller
  • Got freedom to choose, better make the right move
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 12:12:39 am »
I have though of doing a Pie eating contest before. Each person would have 5 pies and use a 10 sided dice to determine who finished each pie the fastest. THe first to finish 3 pies faster wins. IN case of a tie you would go to a 6th pie. The stone head has plenty of generic pies to such a contest.

That's it exactly.  \\o//

Would it be an idea if pies were also baked during the cooking contest? Just to add to the items to be used.
~ Zephan Cystennin, Dermorian Huntsman ~

"Think with your brain and not with your blades."

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 05:38:37 am »
Mordaan, don't miss the fact that Illysia invited to cooking lessons already. They should be used before starting the contest!

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 07:15:28 am »
For a food eating contest (pies), instead of rolling to see who got it done faster try to go with this method:

Detailed steps:

1. Judge characters size and tell them what die to roll based on realistic bite size. (Nolthrir could roll a 4, for example, and Ynnwn 8)
2. Set up pies (a 10 or 20 finishes a pie).
3. have players line up in front of a bunch of pies.
4. Say "GO!". All players roll ONCE. Let players tally their own numbers.
5. Players must wait until the judge says "Bite!" or something before making their next roll.
6. When a player gets to 10 (or 20), they pick up the pie in front of them, and wait for the next roll to start on the next.
7. First person to finish all their pies wins!
8. They win more pie.

An alternative would be to see who can eat the most pie in a set number of rolls.

As for clean up duty... make sure you have people set to stand in front of the furnace to burn 'garbage'.

Mordaan

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 09:15:09 am »
Great suggestions!  Thanks.  I hadn't thought of doing a pie eating contest that way before...I figured it would come to some sort of hotkey contest.  But I like the ideas for how to carry it out and make it fun...we'll have to decide on the details. 

This is shaping up to be a great event.   :thumbup:

Another idea that was proposed that I'd like to persue is a recipe contest...so start thinking of interesting recipes that are not already ingame, particularly using ingredients that are ingame.

Mordaan

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 07:26:03 pm »
Ok, I have let this slip long enough.  I will work up the official event thread in the RP section if not today then within a day or two.

So far the ideas we have for activities are a pie eating contest and a recipe contest.

Since the warriors tournament will be this Saturday, the cooking fair will be held Saturday, October 3.

More ideas are still welcome.