Author Topic: OOC Magic Fair followup event 8/28/11  (Read 976 times)

Mordaan

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
OOC Magic Fair followup event 8/28/11
« on: August 25, 2011, 09:03:33 am »
I wasn't sure where best to post this so I chose the wish list.  Hopefully everyone sees it.

Back when we had the magic fair last month, we had an interesting OOC segment and it seemed like we just touched on everything there may have been to discuss.  I also mentioned that Tuux was away and maybe at some point we could have a followup event to further discuss the state of magic.

This upcoming Sunday, August 28, 20:00 GMT, we will be meeting OOC in the Red Crystal Den to discuss the future plans of magic.  (Thanks to Dannae for use of the Den.   :)  )  Of course as usual, the master plan is super secret but Tuux will be there to discuss what he can (just the most general concepts).

We can comment on spell effects (visual), which ones aren't working or may not be working as intended, which spells aren't working at all, etc., as well as general issues like GUI limitations and suggestions, issues which need to be addressed.

There is also an in game book being circulated with wish list spells.  Right now most spells in game are either offensive or buffs/defuffs.  Certainly there is more use for magic, like the practical.  In a dark place?  Summon a ball of light to light your way.  It is not an offensive spell, or a defensive one, but really another category all together.  Just one example.  Plus development hasn't yet come as far as providing realm 6+ spells or 4 glyph combo spells.  So certainly there is much to do.  And the good news is this will be worked on over the coming months.

There are also things that need to be done outside magic, itself, like NPC AI to make them react properly to magic.  Right now, you attack an NPC with magic and they come running at you.  Every time!  Certainly some spells will create different reactions.  Some should slow them down, weaken them, or make them run away.  Hit an NPC with Mind Paralysation?  You'd think they'd wander around aimlessly a bit.  And of course much needs to be done with balancing effect with level of skill.  These are just a few examples.  Standing on a rock and blasting away at mobs for hours to level is NOT the way magic use was intended.

There is also the shadowcaster concept which needs to be implemented.

So all these things are on the horizon and Tuux has been assigned the task of reworking magic.  Apparently most of the plans are already done, it's just a matter of implementation and working out the details (rules, etc.).  Still, feedback can always help so here's a chance to meet and see what, if anything, we as players can do to help out a little and point out things that need to be taken into consideration.

See you there.   :sorcerer:
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 09:04:00 am by Mordaan »
--Overseer, Explorers Guild.

Mask

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Without imagination, we never will go anywhere...
    • View Profile
Re: OOC Magic Fair followup event 8/28/11
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 07:02:11 pm »
It might be boring work, but maybe it would be good if someone looked through the wishlist, picking out the ideas concerning magic and collects them here as links.
It's just an idea, it might contain nonsense until proper sources are given.

First rule of programming: Documentation, Documentation, Documentation.

Gilrond

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 07:15:35 pm »
I hope discussions and suggestions will be productive, and won't be stifled much by spoilers concerns.

About the time - my guess is if something, 20:00 must be GMT (that's 8 PM), because otherwise it won't be acceptable for Europe.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 07:23:12 pm by Gilrond »

Mask

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Without imagination, we never will go anywhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 07:24:40 pm »
There are many time conversion tools in the web. Might be helpful.
It's just an idea, it might contain nonsense until proper sources are given.

First rule of programming: Documentation, Documentation, Documentation.

Mordaan

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 09:04:42 am »
Oops, forgot to state GMT.   :oops:

So we'll make it 20:00 GMT officially now.

provisionist1

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My Art:
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 11:40:15 am »
Sounds great!  \\o// Sadly I cannot come as I'm busy at that time with work...

If someone could bring up on my behalf the fact that (so I've been told through several people), there are several glyphs that do exist, but cannot be gotten through quests at the moment (and thus I assume only through a GM's reward?), that it would be fantastic if they were made slightly more available.

By this, I mean they should potentially only be accessible (won) through a very difficult series of quests (winch-access level series of quests)- which requires more programming so is a long term solution, or as a short term solution, have a GM every once in a while (at the monthly markets perhaps?) sell them or auction them at very high prices.

Hope it goes well! Thanks!
Xirius Dolaktisht
AD LIBERTATEM

Sarva

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 11:55:56 am »
One thing to remember is that not all glyphs might not be release yet to be in the game. for example the faith glyph was around a long time before it was released into the game. AS far as I know there aren't any glyphs that are currently GM reward only. I know there are some glyphs that aren't in the game yet but as far as I know these can't be given out as gm rewards since they aren't suppose to be released into the game yet.

Gilrond

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 01:40:50 pm »
If I understood correctly, glyphs which aren't in game, but potentially can exist (something like Bird?) are simply not usable yet, because there are no functional spells with them. So there is no point to get them from GMs even if that would be possible (which as Sarva said is probably not possible anyway). It makes sense to expect new glyphs to be introduced if needed together with general magic redesign, GUI updates and new spells. It would be good though to add some missing key abstract concepts to the glyphs set though. For example - Process, Time, Movement and etc.

Another good topic to think about - presently combinations tend to focus on using one way glyphs, obviously to make it easier for practitioners of one way to get spells. However some generic concepts are represented by glyphs of very different ways, and combinations which are used for spells IG aren't naturally coming to mind and aren't logical because of the "one way" idea. (I.e. you would guess a different combo using glyphs even from opposite ways could fit much better). This makes discovering spells by experimentation harder and less fun IMO.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 01:53:41 pm by Gilrond »

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 12:50:12 am »
there are already spells using glyph of different ways

Gilrond

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 07:47:58 pm »
There are, but few. One example of illogical combination is Icy Ground (you'd naturally expect it to be something different, but it's not).

Dannae

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 02:33:49 pm »
I want to say I'm sorry I was unable to be there to open the RCD for the event as I lost power due to a hurricane for over 36 hours beginning the morning of the event. I hope someone else with a key was found to help out.  :(

Phantomboy86

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Sarva used to own the deed to my soul.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 03:03:15 pm »
Wasnt a problem Dannae, we had a hilarious looking stampede of dwarves head over to the courthouse.  Better question is are you alright from the hurricane?

Soloyos

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Guardian-Bloodstone Brethren&Partner-Hydlaa Museum
    • View Profile
    • Bloodstone Brethren
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 03:30:38 pm »
No the Dwarf's looked gangsta...me being one of them, but hope your alright from the hurricane Dannae?  :o

Mordaan

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 07:27:55 pm »
No worries Dannae, it all worked out.  I hope things are not too bad by you.   :-\

Gilrond

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 07:36:22 pm »
Sorry to hear that Dannae, I hope you are alright. Luckily Sarva and Daxa were around and we moved the event to the court house.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 07:37:55 pm by Gilrond »