Author Topic: Magic without glyphs?  (Read 817 times)

Xanthan

• Prospects
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Magic without glyphs?
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2011, 08:41:01 pm »
We summon our mounts and pets from another plane without glyphs. It's clear that magic can be done with the aid of other sorts of magical items. Whether glyphs are required to create them is another question.

Nevis' scroll could explained by a spell (using glyphs) that was used to enchanted the scroll.  I can see these being created as a way to enable non-spellcasters to be able to use a spell just once without a glyph.  Actually, that could be an exciting thing to add to the game.

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2011, 11:20:23 pm »
I can see these being created as a way to enable non-spellcasters to be able to use a spell just once without a glyph.  Actually, that could be an exciting thing to add to the game.

My advise would be to use caution making third party magic available. It can often be virtually impossible to balance.

- Nova

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2011, 03:00:41 am »
Is there any verbose IC description about the nature and purpose of the "purification" process for glyphs? The adaption of a generic glyph to a specific character will certainly be a key step in understanding the glyph-based spellcasting.

By the way, if Talad made all glyphs, isn't it amazing how many he made?

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2011, 09:45:02 am »
By the way, if Talad made all glyphs, isn't it amazing how many he made?

Venorel wonders how many scarves Talad could have knit while awaiting Laanx' forgiveness.

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2011, 11:17:12 am »
We summon our mounts and pets from another plane without glyphs. It's clear that magic can be done with the aid of other sorts of magical items. Whether glyphs are required to create them is another question.

Nevis' scroll could explained by a spell (using glyphs) that was used to enchanted the scroll.  I can see these being created as a way to enable non-spellcasters to be able to use a spell just once without a glyph.  Actually, that could be an exciting thing to add to the game.
you could argue the spell casting was done previously and then the item has an additional functionality which was bind from a normal casting with glyph.
which isn't a spell in itself...

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2011, 01:29:14 pm »
Ugh...I guess I wasn't very clear in what I meant. Sorry, I never gave much about any game mechanics at all. So when I said magicians should depend on glyphs I didn't mean they should depend on the few available ones in game. I never had any problem with people modifying existing spells, inventing new spells or even inventing new glyphs in RPs (of course only as long as it stayed in reasonable limits). Aiwendil also used magic at times to light some candles (though probably not with many people around)...of course there is no "light candle"-spell in PS. But the existing spells and glyphs indicate that this shouldn't be too hard to do. My point was just that without her glyph-sack Aiwendil couldn't even light a candle (At least I can't see her rubbing wooden sticks together until she got some fire...so yes, pretty sure she couldn't). And I would never dare to talk about game mechanics. As I said, I don't care about them. My opinion is only about RPs. The dependency on glyphs is only important for RP to allow "disarming" of magicians in them. For game mechanics this whole discussion is pretty pointless in my view as there aren't any mechanics to separate a magician from his glyphs at all (And I doubt there ever will be...but funny to imagine the outcry of the PLers if pickpocketing allows stealing of glyphs from others). Just saying this as I got the impression people around here thought I suggested it should be only allowed to RP spells that actually exists in game...sorry, never wanted to say that. In fact I think the spell in game are pretty stupid and most of them are not useful for any RP. All just about killing and hurting...

As mentioned on the main web site all settings pages have been updated including overview and history, if you still see the old page, you need to refresh the page or delete your cache.
The quotes of me are already from the new version...but I still stay with my "disclaimer". The "new" version doesn't differ much from the old one and doesn't explain any of the differences. There is no explanation why Laanx and Talad "disappeared". No word if Talad's absence means that no new glyphs are created anymore. There is nothing if the arrival of the new gods changed anything...like Xiosia using her powers to grand groups of people preforming rituals some magic powers. It's good to see that the history page got finally updated...and even better that it was published despite not being finished. But with only one paragraph about the new gods it don't think it can be used to answer the OPs question alone.

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2013, 01:14:59 pm »
NECROMANCE!

Curious about magic. Have there been any updates? Is there an answer to this question yet?
Lace dark dreadfull power inside him awakens now fully resultin his former self comin back lord of dark noble house shantae of mevango family lacertus shadowone mevango also knowed as darkblade of shadows

Shafaragorn

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2013, 05:05:36 pm »
I'm not sure about now, but a while ago when I was reading some in-game books I came across a series about the history of magic that answers the question about magic being possible without glyphs.

Just thought I'd throw that out there   :innocent:

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2013, 05:48:14 pm »
I'll weigh in. Take what I say with a grain of salt and draw your own conclusions.

Talad's post revealed a few answers if you read between the lines.

Is it possible? In theory.
Is it as effective as using glyphs (In Yliakum)?  He didn't say.
Are there consequences? He didn't say, but I would assume there very well could be.
Is it as easy to learn as standard magic? No, it would be harder.

If your roleplay includes some form of magic that greatly differs from the game's reality, then you risk turning away players who will want to play within a more conservative view of the settings. I would say that adding your own artistic deviations to existing spells is being conservative, discovering spells that fit into your way is more liberal, while making it rain purple frogs and psychedelic drops of awesome is going to get you laughed at if not ignored.

With that said, your peers who you play with will to some extent, be your judge and jury. They will accept or reject your artistic freedom - keeping you in line with what they feel is plausible. I don't think any GM or settings people will hunt you down with torches and pitchforks if you break settings, but do keep in mind that doing so may break immersion for other players. We want to keep the fantasy world believable and consistent through our character's actions and words.

If you want ideas for how to roleplay the use of known magic, look at the race history, look at the spell descriptions for learned spells. Do the magic way quests. Think about what effects a spell might have - it's look, smell, taste, sound, and feeling. When casting Flame Burst, does the room glow with a warm orange hue as the fireball crackles and grows between your hands? Is it so bright that it's painful to look at? Can you feel its heat as it approaches? Does it smell like putrid sulphur or like fried Klyros fingers ? This sounds a lot better than "/me just stands there and a pixelated 2d image of fire hits the target for 81 points. I leap with tearful joy, for I hath grow-ith in red way."   ;D

Back to the original question, ( I do realize this is an old, old thread ) If it's in released settings material - like quests or IC books, and its something than an ordinary ( non-god ) person has done, then I think its plausible that your character could accomplish the same under similar circumstances. I would just be prepared to provide curious partners with the premises that you base this on in the event that they ask.

Whisper Bless!