Author Topic: Can old files in PS be deleted safely?  (Read 134 times)

Roled

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Can old files in PS be deleted safely?
« on: November 26, 2013, 08:36:50 pm »
I have a bunch of files in the planeshift folder, named "generic-0.5.9.3 through and including 0.5.9.12- can all of these be deleted since I have one called generic-0.6.0 ? 

Also win32-0.5.9.4 through win32-0.5.9.10 (I don't have win32-0.5.9.8 for some reason...) can these also go, since I have win32-0.6.0? These are called zipArchive files...

I also have several tiles from a 3/23/2013 download , dbghelp.dll, msvcp90.dll, msvcr90.dll, what about those?

I am trying to clean up the ps folder in the hopes by some alchemical magick I won't crash as much. I took Venalan's advice (thank you Ven) and uninstalled, deleted the older versions of the psclient, then reinstalled today.  I keep trying!!  Thanks for your programmy wisdom!!

RR the technically challenged Dermorian
"RR is a PieSexual" ~ Monala

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Can old files in PS be deleted safely?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 02:43:08 am »
Yes, you can delete the ZIP files. They contain only differences which have been applied already. The launcher should delete them at the end of an update. Leaving them there is certainly a bug.

The old Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime 9.0 DLLs are deletable too, since newer versions are preferred now. You will probably have some in your Windows System directory as well, they should stay there.

A dbghelp.dll may persist, not sure if this is still used in some crash report feature.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 02:45:56 am by LigH »

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty