Author Topic: Need feedback on stock making quests  (Read 283 times)

Mordaan

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Need feedback on stock making quests
« on: September 27, 2014, 02:25:41 pm »
I meant to ask this at the last Meet the Devs but completely forgot.   :-[

Currently there are 2 quests for making metal stock:
"Making a Metal Stock" with Harnquist and "Making a Metal Stock in Ojaveda" with Trasok

It's the only quest where you have a choice to do in 2 locations.  We were considering eliminating the one in Ojaveda and using the quest ID for another quest.  Just wanted the community's opinion before doing so.

While it's nice to have the option, it's the only quest that does this, making it kind of a duplicate.  Especially now with better travel options, it's not such an inconvenience to go between cities.  These quests were made before pterosaurs and even mounts.  On the other hand it is a key quest because it's the prerequisite for a LOT of crafting quests.
--Overseer, Explorers Guild.

Sen

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Need feedback on stock making quests
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 03:11:44 pm »
I find it logical that both smithes offer learning quests. Both work alone and might want a helping hand or trainee.
There could be either friendship or competition even between them.

Getting rid of one quest, because it's redundant is possible. But it could feel a bit artificial, because getting rid of it would be based on game mechanics (ooc) rather than the game situation (ic).
.....also a saddle that won't pinch the tail. One day!

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 03:19:07 pm »
If it is so essential and "basic", it is probably done so early that the player is still mainly in Hydlaa anyway? I mean, in the beginning, the distance from Hydlaa will grow with the complexity of the quest, right?

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

bilbous

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 04:40:34 pm »
Could it be possible to eliminate trasok's unique quest and rework the remaining one so that both smiths could offer it?
Other than that it should be fine to eliminate the oja one. It dates from when Enkis actually spawned in Oja and that is unlikely to return any time soon. If you do reuse the questid don't forget to remove the completion flags from those of us who actually did it.

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 05:25:59 pm »
If it is so essential and "basic", it is probably done so early that the player is still mainly in Hydlaa anyway? I mean, in the beginning, the distance from Hydlaa will grow with the complexity of the quest, right?

isn't the intention to have different starting spawn points dependent on the player race? i think such beginner level quests should be offered at every 'beginner level' area within the game. once the whole of Yliakum is mapped out, it'd be weird to have only one smith in the entire land capable of teaching beginner skills.
all blessings to the assembled devotees.

Venalan

• Global Moderator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 05:47:48 pm »
Right now there is really no need for it. The two quests are basically identical, very short, and give the players very little. It would in my opinion be much better to use the quests for something else and have the limited information included in them added into the Learning Metal Working quest which is really where it should be.

Aramara's point for starting locations is true, but I cannot see starting locations changing in the near future, if ever.

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 06:09:07 pm »
Maybe if we all spawned in the different cities, and the NPCs offered the same kind of quests for beginners, then it would make sense to duplicate, triplicate, etc, the quests. But given the low player count, I'd say that it's not necessary. However, if we look at the IC context, it would make sense that a smith would teach you how to get your materials for crafting, so you don't need to move around to work wherever. But we all start in Hydlaa now, behind Harn's, so... Yep, no need for a duplicate. For now.

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 07:24:26 pm »
I rather like being able to function in other cities without always running back to Hydlaa no matter what, but I understand that the resources could be better used. I'd prefer it to be left but if not ok.

Divod

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 07:43:18 pm »
Trasok is much too busy to train them beginners. ::)