Author Topic: Initializing world!  (Read 990 times)

Trintha

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Initializing world!
« on: March 15, 2003, 03:29:55 pm »
When I connect to the game and it\'s initializing the world, character, and all that stuff, it just stops. Nothing happens. I haven\'t got past that. Please help!  ;(

Oh yeah, I read this on the problems and bugs page.

\"On some machines the loading of the world takes a lot of time (from 20 to 50 minutes). This is a bug because on other machines with similar hw and connection it takes 2 minutes.\"
« Last Edit: March 15, 2003, 03:32:35 pm by Trintha »
\"Who told you that you could eat my cookies!?!?\"

Trintha

• Traveller
    • View Profile
HELP!?!?!?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2003, 08:48:48 pm »
Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

babylon

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2003, 09:35:37 pm »
Generally speaking, I have to wait a pretty long time for the world to load.  The latest update helped a LOT though.

Questions:

What\'s your operating system (exactly)?
What version of DirectX are you using?
What are your system specs?
What version of the client are you using (have you downloaded the latest version from the home page)?
Is this problem new or is this the first time you have tried the client?
What other applications did you have running at the time?

babylon

Newton Arroyo

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2003, 09:35:44 pm »
Ueh, i have a too problem. :(

My machine is:
Motherboard: Abit BH-6
Processor: Intel Pentium II 400MHz
Memory: DIMM 64 MB PC-100
Video Card: nVidia Riva TNT 16 MB
Sound Card: Diamond Moster MX-300
Hard drive: IBM 10GB IDE
Connection: 31,600 - avg. 3.4 KB/sec
DirectX: ver. 8.1 RUS

Planeshift Client version is 0.2.007

Then i start Client in OpenGL mode - all screen is white color, only button are viewable. Then i start client in Software mode - colors are normal, but onli windows mode works. After try to connect - The Word Initializing...
And my hard drive - works, after 14 minutes - i press Ctrl+Alt+Del

And in window - Plane Shift [not response]

What is the bug, then it will be fixed.

And i can play in Planeshift at my machine?!!!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2003, 09:38:09 pm by Newton Arroyo »

babylon

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2003, 09:37:44 pm »
Wow, Newton, you have very, very, very little RAM.  64 megs RAM??  You\'re going to have a lot of trouble running this application with that little memory.

That said, there is now a \"slow version\" of the client with the update you are running.  You might want to try that one.

babylon

Kahlisi

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2003, 09:46:57 pm »
http://www.planeshift3d.com/forum/thread.php?threadid=735&boardid=13&styleid=2

Scroll down to Jorrit\'s post - if your computer does not meet the specified requirements, you probably can\'t run it.  Secondly, if your computer is slightly above that, I doubt it will run incredibly smoothly.

:))
The only difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

Newton Arroyo

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Sorry, for off-topic
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2003, 10:07:01 pm »
But, i dont undestend, are you planning to add Direct3D support?

Or, guys, who develop a Arctic Blue engine planing this?

P.S. If my card support Direct3D (all nVidia production?), i can\'t start OpenGL mode - correct?

Link

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2003, 12:27:39 am »
I read somewhere about wether or not Direct3d would be added, I don\'t think it will. As to wether or not planeshift will be playable on your computer? No.
The Great Linksunius

babylon

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2003, 12:41:51 am »
Even with support for Direct3D you would need more RAM, Newton - with 64 megs it\'s slow going even with just Windows!

babylon

Trintha

• Traveller
    • View Profile
I finally got on!
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2003, 10:59:32 am »
I got on yesterday for 3 mins! WOW It\'s a miracle! I waited 15 mins for it to load the world and then I played for 3 mins! Then, of course, it had an error! I have a pentium III, and 128mb of ram! What\'s the problem! ?(

By the way, when I played for 3 mins I lagged like a beast!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2003, 11:07:26 am by Trintha »

Kahlisi

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2003, 11:07:41 am »
Originally posted by Kahlisi
Secondly, if your computer is slightly above that, I doubt it will run incredibly smoothly.

Not to sound rude, but your computer is \"the problem\".  You barely meet the requirements.

Since PlaneShift is a Pre-Alpha project, it will drain the computer more than a final release version due to bugs and whatnot.  This is why Game Developers (and Testers) have incredibly good PCs.  PS is no exception to this rule.
The only difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

rainmaker

• Traveller
    • View Profile
about memory
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2003, 11:25:43 am »
It seems people are having a hard time understanding how essential it is to have enough ram.

If you have an inadequet amount of ram the program will have to load into secondary memory, this means your harddrive.

ram = random access memory

This is what ram is, it can access information from anywhere in the ram without having to find it first, essentialy. Thus if you don\'t have enough ram you don\'t have random access to however much information is being loaded onto the harddrive. This amount is ofcourse the  [amount memory needed] - [amount on ram].

Harddrives are perhaps the most lagging today when it comes to speed. Having memory on the harddrive leads to an exponential rate of growth of the time it takes to find and use that memory. So....

If you have something like 64-128 megs of ram you should expect to wait much much longer, this is why some people are stuck waiting for 40 minutes just to load the app, and once it\'s loaded they are lagging terribly because their system can\'t find the memory it needs fast enough.

Get more ram, it\'s probably the cheapest way to improve your system.

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2003, 01:31:49 pm »
I have the same exact problem, i have spent about 10 min waiting for the world to load, it never did so i just closed the process for the game...

Specs:

Windows XP Pro, SP1

1.2Ghz AMD Athlon (sock a)
1024MB RAM
GeForce 4 Ti 4600

DirectX Version should not matter because the game runs using OpenGL API not D3D, i think the game only uses DX for input/networking. But i do have DirectX9 installed.

Latest video card drivers are installed.

Edited
===============

I decided to let it play for a while while i typed the message and it actualy worked.. Wow only 5 min rofl..

This is kinda nuts, ive rendered 5,000,000 poly models in 3d Studio Max faster then that.... :-/
« Last Edit: March 16, 2003, 01:34:46 pm by 187 »

rainmaker

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2003, 02:30:47 pm »
I\'d just like to correct something i wrote a couple posts up, just after i wrote it i saw this under:

FAQ of technical problems, please read!
1. My game locks up when I connect. It just says \"Initializing world\" but Windows says it is not responding!

This is ok. On some machines, Planeshift believes it needs to recalculate the lighting, which can take up to 2 hours the first time you run. If you let it run to completion, it will load quickly every time after that.

So the first time loading the game might be slow for reasons other then amount of ram as 187 comments. 1024mb ram should really be plenty. Anyways what do I know I haven\'t even run the game yet (still waiting for the mac MB version).

Kintas

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Ram
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2003, 10:09:08 pm »
I\'m going to tell you right now, this pre-alpha version of planeshift isn\'t going to run unless you have ram to back it up.  Wait let me change that - it will run, just not nicely.  I have 640 meg of RDRAM, and initializing the world still takes a long time, Granted I am installing the demo as I am typing this, I\'ve heard the demo makes a difference, we will know in a few minutes.