Author Topic: PlaneShift running slow need help  (Read 1302 times)

*Herukula*

PlaneShift running slow need help
« on: July 17, 2003, 04:58:17 am »
PlaneShift is running very slow on my comp and i need to know why so i can fix the friggin problem.

*Herukula*

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2003, 08:34:56 am »
please o please HELP!

Milho

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2003, 09:18:38 am »
D*mn! How about telling us about your setup first! Do you post the same message in UT2003 forum when the game is slow on your 386??

Sorry for that but this is after all a pretty serious support forum, or at least it should be.

So I don\'t know about your system but on mine:
P3-800, 512mb Ram, Geforce2MX400, Linux RH9.0, OpenGL acclerated
..it is slowly as well. Bet I need a faster CPU and the coders need to do some more work on the game ;)

xlorepdarkhelm

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2003, 12:26:52 pm »
And, welcome to the crowd.  You aren\'t alone, it runs on several people\'s computers\' slow, mine included.  o please, take a number :)
\"I\'m not responcabel fer my comuter\'s spleling errnors.\"

Friday

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2003, 03:25:23 pm »
Yup a little more information would be useful.

On my system

AMD T-Bird 1.33
256MB Ram
Radeon 32MB SDR
Windows XP

it runs with a bit of lag.

*Herukula*

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2003, 04:46:02 am »
ok thanx for the info it has been a real help seriusly.
I have a NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 model 64/model 64 pro.for the rest youl have to tell me where to look cuz i have win xp.

Keldorn

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2003, 05:30:49 am »
1. Right click on the My Computer icon on your desktop.
2. from the menu that now appears at your cursor choose Properties. It\'s the last option in the menu.
3. A new window opens. Here you can see information about your computer. Look for the word Computer on this window (located somewhat lower on this window). Here it gives you the info you\'ll need.
m.vanes

Moogie

• Forum Legend
  • Artist/Flash Animator
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2003, 08:07:16 am »
Make sure you\'re running in OpenGL mode. Software mode is incredibly slow for me.

Bague

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2003, 04:37:55 pm »
How do you check to see if you are in OpenGL or software mode? Also, how can you switch this?

For me, it runs basically unplayably slow. I hit the left key and three seconds later my screen moves left. Sometimes I can walk forward a few spaces normally, but then I just get lagged.

This is my setup,

CPU = Athlon XP 1600 (1.4 Ghz)
RAM = 256 MB Pc 133 SD Ram
Video Card = Radeon 7500 (64 MB)
Internet Connection = 360 Kbps Cable
OS = WIn 98 SE

I believe my problem is the lack of RAM which I am planning to upgrade soon. BTW, what is the difference with DDR Ram? I am planning  to buy about 512 or 1 gig of DDR Ram, but I don\'t know if it will work in my slots... my motherboard supports up to 1 gig total I believe.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2003, 04:38:32 pm by Bague »
There is no such thing s good or evil, only perception.

Moogie

• Forum Legend
  • Artist/Flash Animator
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2003, 05:02:41 pm »
Bague: You choose which mode you run by configuring it in pssetup.exe or choosing which mode to run from the Start Menu group.

I\'m afraid methods of improving game performance are vague and unreliable. It seems higher-end PCs suffer more, strangely enough. It\'s nothing to do with your hardware (not specifically, anyway) nor your connection speed. It all comes down to the way PS and CS (Crystal Space- the engine PS uses) interact.

Bague

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2003, 05:31:13 pm »
Hmm, I tried to exectute pssetup.exe, but it said \"Fatal Error Cannot create directdraw device\".

Moogie

• Forum Legend
  • Artist/Flash Animator
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2003, 05:39:30 pm »
Update your graphics card drivers and try again. I\'m not sure why you received that error with the card you have (it\'s not such a bad one after all).

Bague

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2003, 06:21:00 pm »
Well, It sped up slightly, but the thing I notice now is that it will either

A)Run smooth as a baby\'s butt, or it will

B)Lag and stick.

I think it\'s truly an angles thing, because when I\'m around town square, I can run, walk, turn, jump all I want, but when I go up to the buildings, my game lags like heck.

Though I REALLY thank you for requesting the driver update, because it fixed a totally unrelated problem with my hydravision, so I can finally use my TV as an extra monitor w/o having to adjust my settings every time I turn my PC on, and it can finally play fullscreen games.

Link

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2003, 12:59:43 am »
Everyone needs to get more ram, 256 is only enough to play freakin solitaire, 512 is the minimum to play new games. If you don\'t like it, play console games.
The Great Linksunius

Leathersoup

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2003, 12:05:48 pm »
I tried to run the OpenGL client on my:

1800+, 512 MB system with a Radeon 8500 (128MB) card and it ran terribly slow.  I\'m guessing that the client is using OpenGL calls that are not supported by ATIs drivers at present...  I guess we\'ll just have to wait till something happens about that.