Author Topic: Health!  (Read 863 times)

Kiern

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Health!
« on: May 17, 2002, 02:52:48 pm »
Well, in some games, your health goes back up after a time of standing around....this is dumb....what I think would be best is if the only ways to regenerate your health is;

1. to rest/sleep(rest would be like going to an inn and sitting....sleep would be logging out i guess)

2. eat food/drink a drink(NOT potions, what are those? food substitute?)

3. Spells(cleric spells, i guess it would be crystal magic?)

4. And maybe something like praying (i dont know how the gods thing will work)

and when you eat food it should take like a couple of seconds for it to come back, say, maybe 5-10 seconds before you start?

(also if you give me some money)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2002, 02:54:14 pm by Kiern »

paxx

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2002, 05:12:08 pm »
I?m all for that if it corresponds with the monsters in the game, but it is a fundamental part of the game.

Can a fighter type go out into combat without a healer type?

And if not then everyone will learn healing magic at least a few levels of it, will magic be that prevalent and should it be?

Also you must remember time is faster in most games, I think health should go from empty to full in 2 minutes max, for the average high level guy. How this is done I can care less, but if the game is a hard core Role playing game where cooperation is mandatory, and soloing is imposable then rest or spells is the only way, if this is a game focused on fun then if I am not doing anything then my health should go up as fast or faster then a mages magic bar/mana bar or whatever it will be called.

?Oh, I am a healer, and since I heal so fast I can take out monsters 5 times as strong as me??

think past the ?how things should be? and think on what effect they would have on a game. This isn?t a game where you will find an inn anywhere (at least I don?t think it is) in a group lets say magic and health didn?t go up unless you go to an inn, we fight two monsters and run to the inn then fight two more and run to the inn?come on that would be a pain.

In most games sitting represents resting, as such you gain health and mana. If you want a hard game then loot will be left by the waste side and banking won?t exist, food in a dungeon?.buahahahahaha, you would be able to eat your kills and fruit in the forests, come on these are moot issues in a mmorpg if you want realism then you have no magic and have to have bed rest for weeks after you get beaten nearly to death, I?d love it but most would not. As the game is currently in plans, it seems everyone will be able to choose their path and as such all will have access to healing magic. But shouldn?t a fighter be a more effective fighter then a fighter mage in most instances?

Just some thoughts, I just think your idea would turn off more people then it would turn on. In general people like having a sense of accomplishment and constant action, the more you make a game like real life the more it becomes a chore to play and not a joy to play for most.

Simple death and easy healing are key to ease of play and consistent action, I don?t have to wait 3 hours to fight again, I don?t have to wait 5 hours to get in a hunting party or group, I can fight on my own for that time?

I know many people don?t agree with me they think that it cheapens the game, well if the game is made for a minority then fine but if it is made for a wide audience then it needs to have mass appeal, I;m not saying getting to high end character should be easy, no just the opposite, but with each little fight and each quest completed your character should improve and even at the high end it should be easy to make micro improvements.
-Paxx

Kiern

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2002, 05:59:12 pm »
well, the developers have mentioned MANY times they are going for realistic, they wish to attract ONLY the rpgers...not people just looking for some game to talk to their friends on & whack monsters, and i thought this would be most realistic out of the other scenarios of running away then running back with full health and wiping out the unlucky enemy

Also since there are no specific classes, no one will have any problem learning the healing spells, the spells being lower charge less, there could also be many different types of healing spells, those that cost more to the character and those that dont. For example:

I cast the Healing Spell \"a\" and my life starts to regenerate slowly but goes all the way up

Later i cast Healing Spell \"b\" my life goes up really fast and i am full regnerated in a couple of seconds
(these are assuming that you are high level)
of course \"a\" will cost a LOT less than \"B\"

also when you say simple death....i think you will be dissapointed then, from what i have heard death in PlaneShift will not go lightly at all :D

ratdudett

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2002, 06:51:25 pm »
1: i think thats great... u should be able to recover some lost health that way... maybe when POH come out the more comfier the bed the faster u heal
2: that shouldn\'t heal to much... but maybe a lil bit :P
3: that\'d be cool if u have a spell to heal urself
4: i love that idea, u can pray to the almighty alina (and give her donations/sacrifices) and she might heal u... also maybe the more charisma u have the better it works.. also there should be a praying skill.. u learn new prayers and improve on the old ones as u get higher lvls... maybe u could even choose a main god... everyone better choose alina ;)

Vengeance

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2002, 07:12:43 pm »
I am torn because I like the realism of forced downtime to heal, but I also agree with the previous poster who said that would be totally boring and stupid after a few iterations.

Maybe a way to do both would be that if your HP gets too low (like less than a 1/8th of a tank or so) into the \"red zone\", then you are critically wounded and you have to go somewhere to rest for a day or so, but otherwise you heal up in 2-5 minutes.

How about that?
Venge

AendarCallenlasse

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2002, 07:24:41 pm »
Well I\'m looking for realism and want a game I can actually RP in.  I like your idea Veng, it should appeal to both types.  Although people who do just want to come on and chat and all really get on my nerves....hmmm...maybe I will have to do some Pking....

Only n00bs don't quote themselves...
<Aendar>...

mistwalker

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2002, 05:31:37 am »
FOOD DOES NOT MAKE WOUNDS DISAPPEAR. Potions are magig, and do things, like HEAL YOU. Why would you want food instead if potions, when food DOES NOT HEAL YOU, AND POTIONS ARE DESIGNED TO DO THINGS LIKE HEAL.

My lord, some people...
A fool and his head are soon parted.

Tearlach t'an Ailech fin Leros

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2002, 10:34:47 am »
As said role-playing not hack n\' slash.
And what about this extremly realistic and extremly hard to implement damage chart:
1) every weapon do a type of damage depending on how good you roll to damage ex:
Two handed sword 1- 2 scratch, 3 - 5 light wound, 6 - 10 critical wound, 11+ deadly wound...
(d20 used in example, deadly wounds kills victims instant.)
2) You can roll a critical if you roll under a 10th of your to hit value, rounded up (means 1 - 4 no critical, 16 - 19 is 2 or less is a critical).
A critical does a nasty damage, it can crush a bone or maybe cut of some nerves or something like that and in order to heal them you must often (since some thing doesn\'t heal, like brain damages, remember that you respawns after death, with your critical left) visit a mage and get a special healing like a nerve healing.
Join The Order Of The Hand .
The rules are being updated, mail me if you are interested in knowing them.
\"Down in their hearts, wise men know this truth: the only way to help yourself is to help others.\"
Never take life seriously; nobody gets out alive anyway.

paxx

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2002, 12:46:28 am »
Ahh, this is a argument that I can have with myself?a hard core RPG environment or a fun action game environment, the only thing to remember is since it is skill based or point based (same thing) you can have a guy who is a warrior and has a very small heal spell, My fear is all warriors would have to go this rout if you employ harsh healing penalties, thus create a very magic common place, everyone casts some magic or another?but back to the issue on hand cause I can come up with 5 solutions to that.

First is RPG emersion on a text based communication is limited, only people with a 30+ WPM and decent spelling can enjoy it. The rest will be Strong silent types, who show that actions speak louder then words.

So, that coupled with the fact that I love logging onto a game for 20 minutes at 4 in the morning and killing a couple of monsters, or at other times I want to dedicate 4-8 hours to getting into a party of adventures and solving the reason the local towns water supply has dried up. I like both, but the only way to do both is for easy healing not having to go to a convalescent home that takes me 15 minutes to get to in order to heal up.

My proposal (similar to Vengeance?s) is you heal nothing standing around or while in combat, (outside of magic) but when you sit down (becoming more vulnerable) a timer starts at the 10 second mark you start to heal 1/20th of your damage every 2 seconds. So in 50 seconds you are fully healed?this can be adjusted to be 2 minutes for all I care, any more then that and it becomes obnoxious. If that was the case then I?d limit the number of spells a character can cast be day and then be done with it.

While I?m on this subject, what is Role-playing for everyone here?
I?ve role played all sorts of games and there is a wide variety.
Harn World for example is much more ?realistic? then D&D, you do not get into a fight lightly in Harn no matter what you are fighting.

Is it D&D, and are we basing this game on some of the great D&D computer RPGs of out time?

What I?m driving at is Role playing is very different for many different people, Text based communication is a poor role playing environment and in a MMORPG you don?t have a party camp button or a GM looking at the party thinking he is not going to attack you because you guys are pretty banged up, no saved game and no turns to think what the hell to do.

If every time we used all our spells and our Tanks are beat up I had to wait 45 real time minutes so we could even do anything I?d be finding another game real fast.

Remember in MMORPGs there is no time acceleration so we can heal up and if death is a harsh as everyone is hoping for then basically we would all hang out close to the cities and become farmers and tradesmen, that?s realistic. The only problem is 90% of the players would quit in 15 days and any love of this game would be lost because the only ones who get anywhere are the ones who are on 12 hours a day and 5 days a week, then they would help their friends and this would become a clique fest where you have the haves and have-nots, realistic and true to real life, but not where I will spend any of my free time, with a bunch of arrogant snots who think they are the bomb because they live on a game.

So, back to my question, what is Role-Playing for you and what would be your ideal text based communication computer environment for that?  

Also what your typical down time (I?m speaking real time here) for a close combat be in the game?

Would magic pool regenerate faster then health? If so why?

If it is to make healers more necessary, then let me tell you that healing during combat is more then enough to necessitate healer types.  

Frankly, from my experience little downtime makes a game more enjoyable. But others may have a very valid argument to that and it could be that in knocks my socks off as it gets implemented.

We could also be real harsh and say if you die you die unless a friend resurrects you or pays for a resurrection and all your items are taken by the thief who back stabbed you to kill you 10 seconds after you logged on and went to meet a friend just outside the city gates to go after a wild dog that has been killing the sheep of a local Shepard and almost killed the Shepard. Now that would be realistic and Role playing at it?s finest.
Of course after waiting 3 hours for a resurrection and having a friend reequip you with his hand-me-downs you will seek out the thief and get your stuff back, only to find he is part of a bandit camp of in the near by foot hills, so you head there and you find out that the camp was just cleared (an hour ago) by a party of brave adventures and they went back to town to heal up their wounds and collect the bounty on the bandits heads (you head back to town to see if you can collect you stuff back) well you find out that the party sold most of the stuff and or some have logged off?well your friend now tired of all of this tells you ?well I?m going to logg, can you pay me back for the equipment and the Rezz?? you explain that you can?t since the guy stole all your money, he says ?np pay me back when you have a chance?
Now you are a lonely guy with borrowed cloth and a borrowed sword and a Shepard out there is losing sheep because you didn?t do your job and you now must start over to regain your former glory but it will have to wait for another day?you have spent 7 Real Time hours, trying to get your self to what you lost from dying.

Now what about a party that dies in the wilderness? We could have their body?s just rot there? I mean we are going for a realistic role playing environment.

Anyway please ignore the sarcasm, it?s late and I am waiting on a phone call, but I really would like to know what type of role playing environment many of you would like to have.

As a GM I have been harsh and overly nice, often in the same campaign. But I have to admit I try my hardest not to wipe the party out while still being fair.
As not once has any party I ran resurrected a dead guy in a dungeon just to be nice, (in a paper and pencil game) the campaign is usually over when the party is wiped out.

So knowing how many others would like their environment to be would answer a great deal to me as far as how you think the game should be and perhaps help the developers gear it in such a way.

Anyway just some thoughts.
-Paxx

David_HD

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Hey, if everyone were farmers or tradesmen...
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2002, 07:32:30 am »
Harvest Moon, anyone? :P lol