Author Topic: Carbon (Mac OS X) build???  (Read 500 times)

j763

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Carbon (Mac OS X) build???
« on: May 26, 2002, 06:52:57 am »
Hi,

Is there any work being done or any plans for carbonizing Planeshift for Mac OS X?

Thanks.

Vengeance

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2002, 01:10:35 am »
None right now because we have no Mac developers.

If someone will let me borrow a Mac for a few months, I will gladly volunteer though.  I\'d like to see this running there.

- Vengeance

JeroMiya

• Traveller
    • View Profile
re: Carbon (Mac OS X) build???
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2002, 12:55:48 am »
I wouldn\'t suggest starting in on the MacOS X build until the next release of MacOSX is out by the end of the summer (the Jaguar release) and the MacOSX version of the crystal space engine is stabilized. There aren\'t many people working on the MacOSX version of Crystal Space, but they have made some decent progress as of late. Still, it is far from prime time, as even the walktest freezes both of my machines (iMacDV400MHz and PMG4 DP 500MHZ) There are some fairly significant changes with the Jaguar release (10.2.x), and while any work done before this release is still good after it, you might find yourself retooling significant portions of it. I wish I knew more details, but I wasn\'t at the World Wide Developer\'s Conference to get the Jaguar pre-release CD and I don\'t have a software seeding account with Apple. ;( It shouldn\'t be too much of a problem if you do begin development now, but be prepared to make some adjustments.
   The Jaguar release is supposedly as significant or more significant than the 10.1 release, which is saying something. Also, DO NOT waste time with a Carbon CFM or OS9 port. First of all I don\'t think it\'s possible with the crystal space engine and second of all it\'s a colossal waste of time.

-Jeremy E. Bell
WolverineSoft Project Coordinator
http://www.umich.edu/~wsoft

MatzeB

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2002, 03:51:49 am »
According to MacOS Maintainer in Crystal Space, the engine runs fine on Mac. We\'d just need to make some network part endianess aware and planeshift on mac should be possible. But we\'ll only start work on this when we have a developer with a mac on the team.

Matze