Author Topic: A Complaint  (Read 1427 times)

bilbous

Re: A Complaint
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2013, 10:13:34 pm »
But ... but ... but, role players are never out of character, are they, cuz then how could they ever complain about out of character behavior of others?

cake <--> eat it.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2013, 10:16:56 pm »
But ... but ... but, role players are never out of character, are they, cuz then how could they ever complain about out of character behavior of others?

cake <--> eat it.

Have you been snacking on lead ingots or something?   :detective:

tman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2013, 10:27:21 pm »

cake <--> eat it.

I think a lot of roleplayers try to stay in character as much as possible.  For example, only training a small set of skills that the character knows or wants to learn.  Using certain Ways and not others.  Sometimes you have to break character; for example, I've done a few quests for glyphs that my character maybe wouldn't have done, but there was no other way to get those items IC (other than buying them from the hyper-inflated player market).

And some people just like messing around with the game mechanics.  Is there a reason your character is trying to jump over the city wall on a drifter?  Probably not.  The player just wanted to see if it could be done.  Or if a player has to go AFK, their character isn't able to react to anything that happens.  I think most RPers try to minimize OOC time, especially if other people are around.
You can't teach a pig to sing.  It'll never work, and you'll annoy the pig.

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2013, 10:31:03 pm »
Fair point tman.

bilbous

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2013, 04:41:15 pm »
drinking quicksilver.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2013, 05:12:37 pm »

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2013, 07:03:26 pm »
In ancient China, it was believed that drinking mercury would bring immortality. An emperor, believing this, had his alchemists create a potion containing mercury. It killed him.

:offtopic:
Lace dark dreadfull power inside him awakens now fully resultin his former self comin back lord of dark noble house shantae of mevango family lacertus shadowone mevango also knowed as darkblade of shadows

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2013, 08:57:22 am »
The in and our of character convenience gets my goat too. There have been experiences where I greet someone at a mine with a smithy alt of mine and they say "I am really not here this is ooc". Malarkey! Those ooc actions like attempting to jump the walls or acting weird in the plaza can be part of my in game experience. So to expect me to know to ignore it is not only pretentious to assume that one would know or take the time to know the other's intentions but completely unthoughtful in regards to others' playing experience and immersion.

This thread has been great to show me that it has not been me trying, without success, to make sense of this illusive thing which many call rp.  There appears to be no sense to be made by it as interpretation varies from player to player with no commonality of rules made doubly frustrating as there are many that come off as professional rpers acting as if they know that rule set. The laugh is everyone is making it up as they go to suit their fancy.

[edit: P.S. The biggest bell ringer, when reviewing log files of witnesses when compiling a chronicle of an appearance of Talad in the Hydlaa, was Talad using smiley faces during the rp. Oh wait he was probably ooc and I should have known! The joke is that the head of this thing is probably not an rper. It would explain the divergence of development to policy. ]
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 09:00:36 am by novacadian »

Irelander

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2013, 12:26:08 am »
A bit off topic, but should I read this to mean that alternative, daily-living clothes will be a thing?

I would be behind that 100% and would even jump in on development.

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2013, 12:48:19 am »
The in and our of character convenience gets my goat too. There have been experiences where I greet someone at a mine with a smithy alt of mine and they say "I am really not here this is ooc". Malarkey! Those ooc actions like attempting to jump the walls or acting weird in the plaza can be part of my in game experience. So to expect me to know to ignore it is not only pretentious to assume that one would know or take the time to know the other's intentions but completely unthoughtful in regards to others' playing experience and immersion.

This thread has been great to show me that it has not been me trying, without success, to make sense of this illusive thing which many call rp.  There appears to be no sense to be made by it as interpretation varies from player to player with no commonality of rules made doubly frustrating as there are many that come off as professional rpers acting as if they know that rule set. The laugh is everyone is making it up as they go to suit their fancy.

[edit: P.S. The biggest bell ringer, when reviewing log files of witnesses when compiling a chronicle of an appearance of Talad in the Hydlaa, was Talad using smiley faces during the rp. Oh wait he was probably ooc and I should have known! The joke is that the head of this thing is probably not an rper. It would explain the divergence of development to policy. ]

The last part about Talad is funny.

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2013, 11:44:13 am »
This is probably the first time anyone has ever complained about this particular thing.

There are roleplayers who strut around town in full platemail, 24/7. Most roleplayers do this, actually.

I'm here to tell you all that this is ridiculous. Plate armor should only ever be worn in combat, at a post, or at a dressy event.

It is not possible to run from Hydlaa to Gugrontid in full plate armor during the day without overheating or collapsing from exhaustion. It is not possible to outrun an unarmored man while you are wearing full plate armor. It is not possible to defeat a mob of men just because you are wearing full plate armor.

I know that everyone in Game of Thrones is wearing plate all over all the time. Yes, it looks cool. But those are costumes, and it is not historically accurate.

Also, fighting in armor is much different than fighting armored. I tried to find some realistic examples of swordfighting. Hopefully these help some of you.

Armored fighting, showing many basic techniques. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnqOMbFDEAI

Unarmored fighting with longswords. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjT4JepA-Vc

Sword and shield fighting. Felt like I should throw this in here. No one seems to know how to use them, and I think that's why there are very few shield-users. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkhpqAGdZPc

Anyway, you can see the difference between armored and unarmored fighting. For some variation, I'll also include an accurate scene from a movie. Unarmored fighting which resembles fencing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhwIrONyEzg

Armored individuals would be hard to take down one-on-one or on the battlefield. However, they could easily be killed if they were mobbed because they lacked mobility. There is no such thing as impervious armor. There are unprotected segments around the joints, the neck, and the face. So it is unwise to wander around the city in full-plate. You could be jumped any moment, unable to outrun your attacker, and stabbed quite easily when you had not even drawn your weapon.

The more logical approach toward protection is leather armor or light chainmail.

You can argue that my complaint is pointless since this is a game and games are unrealistic, but we have always striven to be somewhat realistic in roleplay. The inconsistencies bother me. I would like to see things like armor and weapons make a difference. I'd like to see people knowing what they are roleplaying. I'd like to see heroes in shining armor be shivved to death in an alley by unencumbered rogues.  :devil:

It's also somewhat of a rock-paper-scissors thing to a limited and specific extent. Heavy plate armor won't help much against a halberd. There are arrows that cause devastating wounds but bounce off of armor, and there are arrows designed to piece armor. A flanged mace might look silly but it's specifically designed to hurt armored opponents. The stiletto was armor piercing, although it was especially used to finish off fighters that were on the ground, but I can imagine it being effective in backstabbing and assassination.

It would be nice though if your armor affects how fast you can run and how quickly your endurance is drained. In a fantasy setting though, where you have people with super-human abilities and magic and enchanted items and fantasy materials, you have to be somewhat forgiving when things get unrealistic.
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

Adash

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2013, 01:54:27 pm »
Once again,

who is anyone to determine how one role-plays in their apparel choices?

ONLY developer game mechanisms will determine if and when certain (armour, weapons and other gear being carried) will have certain negative or positive effects.

Until the developers create rules for gear based on common sense, players have no reason to think about consequences of what they are wearing, because there simply aren't any.

LOGICAL OPTIONS LATER THAT COULD BE CODED/ARE CODED:

The ability to wear them........
Light Weight Armour (low amount of endurance + strength needed)
Medium Weight Armour (medium amount of endurance + strength needed)
Heavy Weight Armour ((high amount of endurance + strength needed)

The ability to wear magical attributed items........
(more and more amount of charisma + intelligence needed for more complex magical neck/back/ring wearable components)
(more and more amount of charisma + intelligence + will needed for more complex magical other armour/weapons wearable components)

The ability to use a certain weapon or wear a specific armour type.......
(specific amount of points in specific skill needed for more complex found weapons/armour) (COMBAT TAB)

.................basically, unless there is an algorithmic code written for it, then only will players abide by these technical parameters for RPing.

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2013, 06:52:53 pm »
Once again,

who is anyone to determine how one role-plays in their apparel choices?

ONLY developer game mechanisms will determine if and when certain (armour, weapons and other gear being carried) will have certain negative or positive effects.

Until the developers create rules for gear based on common sense, players have no reason to think about consequences of what they are wearing, because there simply aren't any.

LOGICAL OPTIONS LATER THAT COULD BE CODED/ARE CODED:

The ability to wear them........
Light Weight Armour (low amount of endurance + strength needed)
Medium Weight Armour (medium amount of endurance + strength needed)
Heavy Weight Armour ((high amount of endurance + strength needed)

The ability to wear magical attributed items........
(more and more amount of charisma + intelligence needed for more complex magical neck/back/ring wearable components)
(more and more amount of charisma + intelligence + will needed for more complex magical other armour/weapons wearable components)

The ability to use a certain weapon or wear a specific armour type.......
(specific amount of points in specific skill needed for more complex found weapons/armour) (COMBAT TAB)

.................basically, unless there is an algorithmic code written for it, then only will players abide by these technical parameters for RPing.

Features are always being added though. And while something might be coded a certain way, there's also the spirit of the setting and allowing others to enjoy the game.

Shields are another example though, staying on topic. Shields are almost useless if the approaching army has skirmishers outfitted with pilums. But shields are given a lot of importance in RPGs, whereas many people right now are typing "pilum" into google as they read this.
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2013, 10:36:13 pm »
I read some silly things when looking through the skills window yesterday. Under Mace & Hammer, you see "blunt trauma not as effective as piercing weapons" (what do you think they are used for?). Melee is stated as being "fast to learn" (what?) and requiring "more expensive equipment" (why?). And as everyone knows, axe is "harder to learn", which I've never understood with this game. And then there's shield handling, which for some odd reason only trains defense with a shield and zero offense. I am not sure why there are even any defense skills, like shield or armors. Armor should protect noobs just as well as it protects experts.
Lace dark dreadfull power inside him awakens now fully resultin his former self comin back lord of dark noble house shantae of mevango family lacertus shadowone mevango also knowed as darkblade of shadows

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2013, 01:55:06 am »
I'm not going to lie, I didn't read most of this thread. This is all I have to add:

You see a heavy-set Dwarf laboring to walk under a rusty set of plate armor. Well, let's be fair here, you'll have smelled him before you saw him. His beard is greasy and slick with sweat, which drips off of his exposed battle tokens with the hair all knotted up around them. Sparks fly around his feet as his metal accoutrements scrape loudly across the paving stones. He can't walk very fast for all the weight. The sheathes that house his two claymores are getting worn down from being similarly dragged along. Ask him why he's so well-protected. I dare you.
Role Play Preferences
[1: gossip] Glaciusor: There's now a guy in skimpy armor having war flashbacks about daemons. Have fun Hydlaa