Author Topic: zoneshouting & chat  (Read 550 times)

Krann Omins

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
zoneshouting & chat
« on: September 13, 2006, 10:17:08 am »
I was figuring, apart from those rare occasions where there are like 30 players on, it would be good enough to have zoneshouting of combat with other players out of duels... and maybe a minimum of chat..

i'll start from the top:
IF one day by some bizare [and unlikely] shift in the planes pvp was open, it seems to me that the main inhibitors for fighting in a city, or unprovokely attacking people would normally be law enforcement... it is not yet implemented , and, like in societies without implemented legal structure, there is tribal or mob law to follow...
But if no one hears or sees the attack the offenders will just keep on-- if everyone in the mapzone sees, it is rare someone will be attacked in a city without others knowing...(and hopefully being able to explain that people aren't meant to fight within the city, as it is a peaceful place etc) in the areas outside cities it makes sense to have a bit more risk, that was the way of life, & part of why cities had walls ;) ...
I WOULD however see a lot of people trying to pk like crazy in deathrealm... and, altho any seeing the mapwide-broadcasted system  details would know who was aggressing, that would be a huge downer... that is why i would also suggest a minimum chat.
From what i've read about /report there are functions that can involve chat one sees, so it could just require that the attackee speaks within the attacker's range at least once, as well as vice versa, perhaps with a timeout of a few seconds, when it is too late to initiate an attack.. this way pvp would be open, but not 100%.. if their text includes [ or ] or is in a tell or group it should not count... in anticipation of suggestions to say the person's name & have them say yours, i'd anticipate people saying it would be unrealistic for many sinister folk to want thier identities known... in response to that i expect something like the current npc chat deal--tough noogies that works better...assuming it does...

I see a lot of issues of but newcomers will get sent to deathrealm all the time.. If that's the case I figure hey, t's a place full of heros, if this happens in any map where there are people they can see who died, and if they are brave enough, having suffered death & found their way out of deathrealm, they would see potential for a hero in this soul who perished, and kill themselves to save him/her from endlessly wandering the deathrealm... Just lok how many accounts & characters there are... you just KNOW there's a % of that dedicated to noobs who got lost in deathrealm & never returned, or at least not with that character... While suicide for transport is unrealistic & expolitive, if you do it to save a soul from endless wandering it is more a noble pirsuit.

Now i see issues with people thinking they will always have their fights in everyone's system etc... I would figure to reduce that keep the duel option
(maybe give it its own mapshout, but only include the messages that include the word duel & killed. I only suggest this in keeping with the following justification: )

I'm guessing the next question would be but how is it realistic to see map-braodcasted system of who fought who how & roleplay reactiion to it... think of it a bit like a hero sense, like an instinctive level of intuitive crystal way sensitivity to the life force of other heros... Much like i've seen people rp that their expertise in crystal way allows them to sense if a person near them is in need of healing even if the wounds aren't visibly apparent... and how they can be sure the person's health is fully restored...

I want replies.

I fear replies.

I don't know if this is a "good idea."
I think it's a "possibly not bad idea."
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 10:19:25 am by Krann Omins »

RayvenD

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Feelin' the funk
    • View Profile
Re: zoneshouting & chat
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 03:24:39 pm »
just thought i'd mention if you don't want others' fights in your system window you can just filter them out, i only have my own fights in my window. oh and sometimes fighting does happen in a city, just the other day me and pisik had a fist fight over beer that he accused me of stealing.
Let it whip!

Hear me sing www.myspace.com/diamonddobb