Author Topic: (3D) Weapons  (Read 1238 times)

Shadowfalcon

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(3D) Weapons
« on: October 27, 2004, 01:37:18 am »
Hi all, I\'ve started to make a few weapons, and I thought I could use some feedback. Heres a simple sword.
Please comment!

Boldstorm

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 02:40:37 am »
Really nice work.
Only comments I would have would be about the blade.
To me it seems a little to flat, it also seems I don\'t know maybe too dark where it doesn\'t have enough of a metallic feel.
But hey it is alot better then I could ever do. :tup:

Zeraph

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Making it Shinny:
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004, 10:00:57 am »
Why don\'t you use 20% (raytrace) reflection & see what happens, raytrace works for reflection & fraction, it is basically mirror texture unlike the noise you have on the blade. try putting some dull lights around the top to add some reflection effects & up the specularity of the blade it makes it look shinny.

PS: I don\'t think the devs want any more swords, they want new weapons not in other mmorpgs :D....

If you want raytrace to look right put some stuff around the top of the screen were the camera doesn\'t go, right now if it reflects it will reflect blackness & that\'s not what you want. also do not use 100% reflection because that is a perfect mirror, not a sword blade exactly, I would suggest maybe trying 50% but you need to mess around with it...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2004, 10:04:27 am by Zeraph »

CB Characters: Zeph Waterfox & Zeraph Waterfox MB: Zph

Shadowfalcon

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2004, 12:15:20 pm »
Actually, youre not too fart off Zeraph. It is a raytraced mat, with a steel texture in the environment map. you cant see any other reflections cause there is nothing above it to reflect. i can post a better pic. I also have a few ideas for some more original weapons, but just wanted to make a sword that /I/ would want to carry around.

Incendious

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2004, 05:14:22 pm »
Shadowfalcon, that is amazing, a very nice piece of work. Well done.

As for the blade, I think it looks good, it\'s different to other swords I have seen and seems to have a certain \'feel\' about it.

The handle looks like it would be quite hard to use, but that is only my personal opinion, and I can\'t really make my mind up....

You get two thumbs up from me!

ArcaneFalcon

• Hydlaa Notable
  • ?
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2004, 08:02:15 pm »
It looks good, but if you want anything you make to be in-game I suggest you work on simple items to populate the world.  I think the devs pretty much have the weapons taken care of for now.  Looks great though, keep up the good work.

Adeli

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2004, 11:07:15 am »
As the devs don\'t want weapons, this will probably never make it in game, it would be nice if it did though...
Time for some technical criticism (you modellers love this right? where a non modelling know-it-all comes and tells you what\'s wrong...)
There is not much to say, but I know a fair bit about swords so here goes.
Actually, on further inspection I see but one problem:
Your handle is too thin. The hilt covers the \'tang\' being the part of the blade fixed into the handle. You sword would probably snap easily, as it has a very thin \'tang\', plus because of the small handle, the crossguard (guard, quillion whatever you prefer) is not attached well enough...
This is my only advice. You\'re lucky, I\'m sometimes full of useless info.

I like Red Jelly Beans!

Waylander

• Veteran
  • Constantly correct since 1988
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2004, 04:30:39 pm »
Originally posted by Shadowfalcon
Actually, youre not too fart off Zeraph.

I agree, I would also add that I do not believe Zeraph is too fart on either :P

And Adeli..your information is always useful....yep
<Jeraphon>oh khado
<Jeraphon>you so khrazy

Xil|sleeps: I love cadoras

Waylander, A.K.A: Cadoras, Khado, Nurahk, Armeen, Nostra ... God.

ArcaneFalcon

• Hydlaa Notable
  • ?
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2004, 06:23:31 pm »
You bring up a good point Adeli, but I think it is possible that it is fine.  Some tangs were tempered differently than the blades (they were stronger and more brittle, while the blades weren\'t quite as strong, but were more springy) so the shoulder could actually be quite strong, especially if the cross was welded in place.  If most of the width of his handle were used for the tang (a full tang) then I think it might be alright, though you are right when you say the handle could definitely be a bit thicker.  This will, however, make it look to be more of dagger proportions (right now it looks to be about short sword size).

:emerald:

Edit: Oh, and I completely forgot about folding.  If this is a folded sword then I think it is safe to say the tang is plenty strong enough (depending on how many times it was folded of course, most mideival smiths could fold 7 times, masters could fold 8, and legends could fold 9).

« Last Edit: October 28, 2004, 06:28:07 pm by ArcaneFalcon »

Adeli

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2004, 05:20:32 am »
Well Arcane, that makes two of us who forgot about folding... You recalled it much quicker than I.
I believe there have been swords with more than nine folds... the number eleven sounds familiar, but it may be ten?
I see your point about the proportions, however I think you could increase the diameter by around a quarter of it\'s present diameter without destroying the look, and yes it does have a very short-swordish appearance to it.
Your point about the tang is accurate too... I\'m glad you put thought into it, not just resorted to \"That\'s how I want it\"... Maybe metals are less brittle in Yliakum?
Is is the perspective, or is one side of the cross larger than the other?

Armeen, that had better not be sarcasm... sir... (which I know it is, this isn\'t the sarcasm thread).

Arcane, do you know any good sword tutorials (3dSMax 6), I found a very basic one (which I completed), and a very difficult one as part of a Joan of Arc model. I am not confident enough to start a model with no guide just yet.

Curious: How many tri?

edit: added lots of stuff.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2004, 05:26:01 am by Adeli »

I like Red Jelly Beans!

ArcaneFalcon

• Hydlaa Notable
  • ?
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2004, 10:59:10 am »
About the number of folds, you could be right.  I heard those numbers from a friend, who is by all means not an authority on the subject.  

I think it is the perspective that makes one side of the cross larger than the other, though when you mentioned it I did do a double take.

As for sword tutorials, I need to know what type of tutorials you are looking for.  To my knowledge there aren\'t any specific sword tutorials, though there are many tutorials that will give you the skills to make a sword.  The question is, are you trying to make low poly in-game swords, or higher poly render swords?  I think I can safely assume you know basic sword proportions and designs, so all you really need is the skills to translate those into a model.  The best tutorials are the ones that come with max (Help>Tutorials).  If you are looking for others, I would recommend this site for some of your higher poly stuff.  As for low poly stuff, you can box model swords pretty easily.  Here is a tutorial on box modeling.  That one is for box modeling a character, but the same skills apply to any sort of box modeling.  This site also has a good amount of max tutorials, just be careful \'cause it mixes a lot of ads in with the tuts.

Edit:  Upon looking further I have found a sword tutorial which may be of use.  It has some good sword anatomy links for those who don\'t know the parts of a sword as well.  Here is the site I got it from, the tutorial I\'m talking about is the first one.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2004, 11:36:03 am by ArcaneFalcon »

Shadowfalcon

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2004, 01:54:04 pm »
Sorry i havnt posted in a while, i dont have time to work on my weapons, as i am swamped with homework. Adeli, i used the same techniques to model my sword as the Joan of Arc tut does, i just didnt go into that much detail. Just start with a basic shape (I started with a cylinder for the handle) and extrude and bevel and cut and attach and weld till you get the shape you want. oh, and soft selection is your friend. dont forget that. my sword has around 2000 polys. i didnt make it for in game or anything. i was just practicing.

Adeli

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2004, 01:14:14 pm »
Okay Shadow, so you\'ve seen that tute? It was very detailed...

Thanks Arcane, this is what I wanted... that Sword of Darkness one I\'d seen before. I think I\'ll try box modelling first. I do generally know sword proportions and such, I am very interested in swords...

To buy them here, we need a note of exception signed by the Chief Commissioner of Police... I\'m not sure if small collection is a good reason, this year swords were banned...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 01:15:45 pm by Adeli »

I like Red Jelly Beans!

Shadowfalcon

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2004, 01:09:39 am »
Yeah i saw that tut. A week after I started playing with MAX for the first time, that was the first tut i ever took. I bit off more than i could chew... I did get Joan modeled tho. I should finish her armor.

Adeli

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2004, 03:14:49 am »
Man it was way too advanced for me, when I first saw it, plus I don\'t have much time to devote to it, with University and all.

I like Red Jelly Beans!