Author Topic: "Customized" outfits  (Read 2410 times)

Kiva

• Veteran
    • View Profile
"Customized" outfits
« on: December 13, 2004, 03:23:17 pm »
A thing we see in too many games is a merchant who mass-produces some armor/clothing that anyone can equip. However, not everyone is alike. Some are big, some are small, some have breasts and others don\'t. So, for the sake of individuality, have craftsmen take measurements of people, or at least have general sizes on clothing, so you can find a Kran armor, size 3, or a Ynnwn male\'s cloak, size 5. This means people can mass produce stuff, but still can\'t be sure that others can buy it, and it\'ll create a more varied market where someone might specialize in tailoring stuff for one race only, and some might take specific orders, and then start producing the stuff. And then you might find a \"Big people only\" kind of shop. We must take care of the big people. :)

Sure this thing is just an idea, and it needs some work, but I believe it wouldn\'t be impossible to do. :)
\"Somewhere over the rainbow...\"

Harkin

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 04:27:01 pm »
good idea! :)

I think it will add a lot of realism as well as the base for a good clothes/armor economy... Guild Wars has something similar, only you can make armor for yourself cause its custom made I guess... but the size system sounds a lot better :)
I am just a figment of you imagination and a byproduct of the worse accident ever... ... or so my mommy says!
Imagine your life ripped to hundreds of shreds, then think about how you just stepped in poo, welcome to my world.

-Scott

Diamondcite

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 04:48:42 pm »
Maybe it should be said that all people can measure themselves as they purchase and let them choose their own size, otherwise we prevent things like a character buying armor for someone else as a gift...
Maybe the breast measurement can be left out of the calculation to allow for more people to wear the armor, even if it\'ll look strange on some male characters if they wear female armor.

EDIT: Forgot to say that the idea was good =P
« Last Edit: December 13, 2004, 04:49:12 pm by Diamondcite »
I like taking things literally, going overboard is fun! Now... why do I keep getting odd looks?

Myrtl

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 09:40:24 pm »
Itll be cool if that was implemented. I hope that if you put on a shirt too small it rips  :D
Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
Not for us O Lord, not for us but in Your Name is the Glory

In-game: Myrtl Shift

Join The Knights Templar at
http://www.freewebs.com/the-knights-templar/

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2004, 09:51:57 pm »
@ Diamondcite;  You\'ve just insulted cross-dressers all across the globe:D.

Seriously though, I allways found it odd that a ninety pound weakling could buy armor from a seven foot brute and have it fit perfectly.

Harkin

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2004, 09:57:24 pm »
its called nanobot technology... even in medieval fantasy times they used them(often)... they automatically change the shape of clothes to fit a specific body... what I never figured out was how there could be any looseness... very tight fitting clothes...anyway... if only we were as smart and those people back then and could use their nanobots :)
I am just a figment of you imagination and a byproduct of the worse accident ever... ... or so my mommy says!
Imagine your life ripped to hundreds of shreds, then think about how you just stepped in poo, welcome to my world.

-Scott

Kuiper7986

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2004, 10:29:38 pm »
You know I would also encourage this idea...

It would greatly help the Coterie of Dernier Cri for its obvious reasons hehe :P

No but really, race specific clothing is great...I don\'t know necessarily about Kran clothing, maybe belts?

Sorry don\'t go off topic, not about Krans, its about variety in clothing...
My name is NOT pronounced, \"Kway-per,\" it\'s pronounced \"Kye-per.\"

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2004, 01:45:51 am »
8o I got quoted.  I\'m touched Kuiper. :]

I do agree, race and gender specific clothing is a must.  
Kran?  Maybe they wear hats?  They would have to wear belts or some sort of harness to hold their weapons and loot.  Maybe a \'Kran purse\' :D

Merdarion

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2004, 05:58:39 am »
Well, To reach kuiper state it\'s a long way.

Well, the idea is a good one. In morrowind I got to laugh eachtime if I took a suit of armor of a high elf and weard it with my wood elf.

maybe you will need to get yourself measured for getting some real good armor.

But one thingy:

You find a legendary artifact called \"cuirass of the chameleon\" The perfect thing for your character and then you see that it is for Ywwn, not for Stonebrakers, wouldn\'t that make you angry?
I want to be a flame, to crumble to ash, but never ever burnt.

I want to rise higher, rise up to the heavens, but sink, just sink down deeper and deeper into nothing,

I want to be an angel, a chosen, a devil, but I am just a creature that ever wants what it wont get.

Kiva

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2004, 08:20:48 am »
Originally posted by Merdarion
But one thingy:

You find a legendary artifact called \"cuirass of the chameleon\" The perfect thing for your character and then you see that it is for Ywwn, not for Stonebrakers, wouldn\'t that make you angry?

Well, the thing is... You don\'t just \"find\" legendary stuff. If you hear a story about a great Kran who has a great Kran armor, you can decide to go look for it or not. Uber stuff wont be something you just accidently run into. And if you do actually run into someone with uber stuff, without knowing he\'s there, you\'ll most likely die. :)
\"Somewhere over the rainbow...\"

Keknehv

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2004, 06:35:23 pm »
Of course, this would probably require modifiers to accomplish such a task.

For example, have any of you played Sims 2? It has facial modifiers, and I\'ve played several games that had body modifiers too.

This might require modifications to the models and the engine though...

And perhaps, if you wore clothing that was too tight, you couldn\'t breath as well and thus you would regain stamina slowly, and if you wore armor that is too big, it doesn\'t work as well because it can go a distance to your body and still crush some ribs, and it would slow you down because it is too heavy.

So, getting clothing tailored exactly right would help your character.

And perhaps there could be some \"generic\" \"uni-sex\" \"one-size fits all\" clothing that would fit just about anything. For example, burlap pants :D.

Just one thing... wouldn\'t it be creepy to see all the perverts and such who run around as male characters with skimpy female clothing? That would be bad.

Perhaps if you attempt to put something on that is way to small, it would be impossible, and you would waste several seconds trying to get it off.

Perhaps something similar could be applied to weapons too, if you try to wield a weapon that is just too heavy for your character and your strength level, you would either drop it if it is really heavy, or you would swing slowly with it and use a lot of stamina to attack with it.

Wow, the possibilities are just endless.
root@stupidadmins:/ #  rm -r *

Originally posted by sesmi
my start bar thingie has moved from the bottom of the screen to the side!!!!! how do i make it go back!!!! help please!!!!!! i\'m sorry this is in the wrong forum but i\'m panicing!!!!!!

Efflixi Aduro

• Veteran
  • O_o
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2004, 10:06:01 pm »
maybe under that charecter creation we could have  somthing like weight selection. and depnding on the weight you chose you would get a certain size. Like:
160-200 lb lemur= size 5
120-150 lb lemur= size 4 etc.

That means i like the idea btw :)
Lol Internet

Keknehv

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2004, 10:18:26 pm »
I agree with Eflixi, the measurements would have to be pretty general, we can\'t have a different type of clothing for every single thing.

On the other hand, we could have a shirt for 132 pound lwynn, that would comfortably fit people above or below it by about 10 pounds, and getting worse as the measurement difference widens.

my start bar thingie has moved from the bottom of the screen to the side!!!!! how do i make it go back!!!! help please!!!!!! i\'m sorry this is in the wrong forum but i\'m panicing!!!!!!

Frarda

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2004, 10:24:23 pm »
What if someone goes to a merchant, asks them to make them certain clothing or armor, then decides they don\'t wont it. Now because it was made rather specifically wouldn\'t that merchant be rahter pissed off?

Of course, if a merchant could \"unmake\" items and get the raw material back then it wouldn\'t really matter.

Keknehv

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2004, 10:41:19 pm »
Hmm... good point.

But the merchant would still be able to sell it, because it would fit at least several other people.