Author Topic: "Holding" Weapons...  (Read 803 times)

Suno_Regin

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
"Holding" Weapons...
« on: October 19, 2005, 01:18:05 pm »
I noticed that when we have weapons equipped, we aren\'t really \"holding\" them, its just floating next to our hand, and our hand is just flat...I think that depending on the weapon, we should be holding it a certain way. Like for dwarves, when they hold a broad sword, they don\'t really stick their hand through the hole in the weapon handle, they just wrap their hand around it like any other weapon...(Especially daggers...I can barely see what they\'re using to fight, their hand covers up most of it...:|)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2005, 01:18:58 pm by Suno_Regin »

Keyaz

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 01:26:44 pm »
ayup, maybe thats because development is focusing on important things first, then when they are satisfied we can play oin the intricate little details of ifnger movement, and the likes of semi intelligent mug holding

hey maybe one day Venge will implement /Thefinger :D

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 01:35:58 pm »
Try to use a little more imagination. :)
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

Suno_Regin

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 02:45:24 pm »
Originally posted by Keyaz
hey maybe one day Venge will implement /Thefinger :D
Heh, well it isn\'t something to \"focus\" on, just maybe a 30 minute process of making hands hold the weapon instead of cover them up :|

Originally posted by zanzibar
Try to use a little more imagination. :)

Ok, lets have our hands in proper etiquette (extend the pinky ;) )
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 02:46:15 pm by Suno_Regin »

acraig

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 03:58:09 pm »
This requires some more resources than we have at the moment since it would require some strange \'item -> hand mesh to use\' mapping.   We could probably do it but I would rather have resources developed for equiping armour and the like first.
----------
Andrew
"For all I know, she's lying, everyone's lying; welcome to the Internet"

Induane

• Veteran
  • What should I put here?
    • View Profile
    • Vaalnor Inc.
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 08:25:20 pm »
Yea - I agree with acraig there - of course I would :D  to make the mesh hold the weapons, its simply a matter making sure that the handle on all one handed weapons is about the same size and having 2 different hands for each racer\'s mesh.  One could be in a holding state, the other in a relaxed shape - when in the holding (loose fist) shape, weapons could just be placed so that their coordinates are within the hand.  This eliminates finger movements, and advanced things that aren\'t important anyways right now.  It would be easy, quick, and not have the overhead that a hand skeletal system would have.

Siegheart

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Changing the topic...
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2005, 12:39:05 pm »
I searched and found nothing so, what about sheathed weapons? It would be nice if a character could wear equipped weapons in sheaths, and use a drawing motion when they assume a combat stance. Also, I know I have heard it talked about before but, altering stances in combat depending on the attack type being used would look far more realistic.
Don\'t eat the muffins... They\'re PEOPLE!!! But the cupcakes are still good...
\"DEATH! DEATH! DEATH! AND PIE! Those are the only four things that matter to me! That and Pepsi!\"-Me when I\'ve run out of the Pepsi goodness.
http://www.dungeonkeepersdomain.com

Suno_Regin

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2005, 02:20:07 pm »
Originally posted by Induane
Yea - I agree with acraig there - of course I would :D  to make the mesh hold the weapons, its simply a matter making sure that the handle on all one handed weapons is about the same size and having 2 different hands for each racer\'s mesh.  One could be in a holding state, the other in a relaxed shape - when in the holding (loose fist) shape, weapons could just be placed so that their coordinates are within the hand.  This eliminates finger movements, and advanced things that aren\'t important anyways right now.  It would be easy, quick, and not have the overhead that a hand skeletal system would have.
That would be a good idea...Also, I noticed that Broad Swords are held upside-down in this game...The blade should be switched around, so the sharp part is on the opposite side, and we should hold the blade with our hand in the handle-part, but the round part of the handle be over our knuckles, not the bottom part of our wrist

hook

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Hook's Humble Homepage
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2005, 02:19:58 am »
I don\'t really mind the \"floatiness\" ....what I think needs improving with swords is:

- holding them in the RIGHT hand ...not hitting stuff with the shield and wiggling around with the sword (at least male enkis do that)

- make dual-handed swords (yes, those huuuuuge bastards) being held in two hands ...it looks waaaay unrealistic when you see a player run around with a longsowrds in each hand (although kinda cool anyway)

But I don\'t expect any of these suggestions to come in anytime soon - as already said: there\'s more importaint things to focus on right now. Especially the dual-hand thing would take quite some time, I imagine.

I guess the new version will bring some cool new places, items or even characters, since it seems the 3d team is too busy to change and add some animations to the characters.
:emerald: The Treecastle *will* stand !!! :emerald:

in-game name: Seeln