Author Topic: Complex movement/combat  (Read 1456 times)

Aduin

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Complex movement/combat
« on: December 02, 2002, 03:19:11 pm »
As a forward, I am sorry if this has already been discussed, but I looked and didn\'t find anything like it. Also, I realise that most of the ideas I\'m stating are probably not feasable.

I think it would be a nice feature of combat and movement if people could fall down. Maybe a hit to the leg could trip someone or something, or possibly an oil of sliperyness that you could put on the ground and have people slip on. Rogues could place a trip wire to slow opponents or something as well. Also, on the combat idea, maybe a hit to someones sword arm could make them do less dammage, or swing slower. Or a hit to a mages head could stun them for a short period of time. Also, as people take more dammage, they should probably not be able to run as fast. It would also be nice to be able to take someone down to the state of unconsciousness, without killing them. Then perhaps drag their body somewhere.

I also think that it would be nice for rogues to have caltrops. Little spike things that anyone running over takes dammage from, and could possibly stumble or fall from the pain.

Another thought, on the complex movement idea, is to have a mage spell that can push opponents away. Or have explosion spells have the effect of knocking people backwards.

Anyways, these are just a few ideas I\'ve had. I highly doubt they\'ll be implemented because they\'re so complicated, but hey, it\'s a wish list. =)

loneranger

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2002, 04:15:37 pm »
Yeah those are cool ideas..its would be cool to to be able to jump from heights and attack like that or maybe grapling or a \"choke hold\" LOL...probably not doable but hey you never know
How can you guys be \"The Lone Rangers\" when there is three of you?
                                     - Airheads

Tornado

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2002, 06:02:33 pm »
obviously you have no idea of what programming is capeable of, if you can think it, chances are you can make it.
Its complex mathatics really but i think the addition of a stats system where you get stats for your chances of knockdowns, stuns etc..

so then you could just program sumit like:
if the player has 35% stun then there is a 35% chance the oppent will be stunned with each blow.

As for hitting different parts of the body, although doable its rare that this is implemented into rpgs, as its more about the person with better stats, weapons etc.. winning rather than the one that goes for different body parts.
\"and on one dark night, Hell will rain down, devouring the world. Demons will roam the earth and smite all that cross them, making way for a new breed of hellspawn to come, known only as \'Tornado\'\" quote from The Book Of Lost Prophecy

Aduin

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2002, 07:28:29 pm »
I didn\'t entirely mean the attacker chooses where they hit, though that would add some interesting tactics. My idea was more that attacks should hit random areas, and they affect the opponents stats/skills accordingly.

Aduin

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2002, 10:51:24 pm »
I was sitting in history today learning about the ancient macedonians, and an idea came to mind. Group attacks/formations, like a phalanx. Your shield would protect you, and the person next to you. Getting a group of spear-toting warriors lined up would be cool. =) Also, some other ideas to come out of history class, what about siege equipment? (I know this has been briefly discussed elsewhere, but I want to echo the idea because I realy like it.) Balistas, Catapults, Trbuchets, Siege towers, Battering rams, Mobile ladders, etc. Probably a bit complex, but would add a lot to guild vs. guild, or Kingdom vs. Kingdom combat. I have never heard of MMORPGs where Wars have broken out. Like hundreds fighting hundreds for the glory of their Kingdom/city-state/whatever. Okay, yes, that would be laggy for anyone without T3 access and a P4 3.0ghz comp (minor side effect =P), but it would be unprecidented.

Another thought that came up was Calvalry(sp?). It has been mentioned before, but land based mounts were never discussed. Land based mounts would be very nice for those that need to travel long distances, but have no access to a flying mount. And once on the surface, would boats, or water based mounts become available? Anyways, just a few more of my random ideas.

Fantasyfiend

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2002, 02:27:51 am »
The problem with the formation idea is most people online are too stupid to do something like stay in formation. If they would it would make this game straight aces. Building skills of each individual, and then throngs of individuals using their powers in synchronas war patterns. It would bee sweet. Chances are, I would be one of those people too stupid (or impatient) to stay in form. Now on the other hand, if you had a guild, and SPECIFICLY taught that, then you\'d be fine.

Aruneko

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2002, 04:21:30 pm »
Calvary, eh?  They\'ll have to think up some kind of new steeds.  Of course they should have some kind of horse, at least some kind of subterranean fungus-eating horse.

Aduin

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2002, 05:18:54 pm »
I agree, Fantasyfiend, that most people won\'t be able to stay in formation. I think that built into the party system, there could be a group tactics setting that the leader could set(with consent of those in the group.) Lets say a group of 20 people is assembled, and the leader decides to do a 5x4 phalanx. It would then snap everyone in the group into position, and the leader would control where the group moves, but each person inside the group will have some freedom to move and fight. I can picture a war between two large cities, where each has many formations of troops. Some footmen, some calvary, some archers. Each group having a leader, and a standard bearer(idea taken from other post called Betty Crocker, and also from Warhammer.) *pictures the battle.* *drools* =P

Fiere

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2002, 05:54:47 pm »
Truthfully I don\'t like this idea, I don\'t think it fits the Planeshift theme. Plus it seems like it would turn it into a partial strategy game , I myself prefer more...direct aspects to RPG\'s.

Khaless nau uss mzild taga dosstan[/FONT]
Follow me into Darkness

Aduin

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2002, 07:30:20 pm »
Point taken Fiere. I just think that PS could do some unprecidented things here. Large scale war, on occaision, where people have to unite for their kingdom, could be very cool, and could change the \"hack and slash\" feel that most RPGs have. Granted by doing this, PvP would have to be allowed, at least dring the war. This could put the plot, and history of the game in the players hands. I agree that adding in the formation idea would make it more of an RTS. Without the formation bit though, wars could get ugly and chaotic.(as if they weren\'t already =P) In any manner, it was just an idea that popped up while discussing ancient warfare in school. I still stand by the idea of land based mounts though. =)

BaretteDeBeurre

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2002, 10:02:39 pm »
doing these wars as events should be a good idea, but have to not be often done. Perhaps not a war between guilds or cities, bur to protect the city from an orc invasion, by example.

Horse or whatever riding should be great. Mounted fighting skills should be great too.

But this thread started with damage location. I think that much FPS already use damage location(half-life and deus ex, at least). It should be great that you could lose a arm or a leg, could be stunt with temporary damages done on your head(with stunning weapons), and like said above, speed loss with leg damages and strength loss with arm damages.

Vengeance

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2002, 10:43:17 pm »
Speaking personally here, and not as an official PS person, I think it is a terrific idea.  Layering on combat tactics which are more than just class-specific behaviors and requiring more teamwork, coordination, teamwork and practice could really make it a lot more interesting.

Also it would be BotB tourneys much more interesting if we had an 8 on 8 category and so forth.  :-)

I like it.

- Vengeance

Wormtail_

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2002, 07:51:39 pm »
Ah, excellent idea, Aduin! I like strategy and RPGs, so I really think that this idea is great.

Falling down would be interesting, but it\'s probably going to be a x% chance of hitting an opponent in the leg, head, or arm depending on how skillful your character is and how skillful the enemy character is. Using items to trip would layer some strategy in, as you can lure enemies into tripping on some oil and shooting arrows and taunting the tripped creature as it struggles to get up.

Putting in strategies and formations is one of the best ideas I\'ve ever heard in a while. Guild generals leading armies into battle and giving orders while the enemy does the same would be very interesting. Ambushes would be very interesting, too. A horde of victorious people chasing a defeated army, only to be attacked on two sides and be defeated in turn. Also, people could probably form their own strategies and earn a feared name throughout the... land? Anyways, as all great generals know, it is the leadership of armies that count, not numbers. Wild melee would lean toward larger numbers, and large guilds would have big chances. Nay, I think intelligence and leadership counts more than number of members.

Land based mounts is very interesting too. It would create a whole new perspective of warfare and traveling...

I\'ll probably add more to this later, if I have time.
You pay the same price for doing something halfway as for doing it completely. So you might as well do it completely.
-Richard Nixon

Despise the enemy and you will lose.
-Li Tien (or Dian)

Join the BISM!

explorer

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2002, 11:31:45 pm »
maybe you could put combos attached to the f1-f8 keys that would, say you press f1 and you character aims for the legs and has a better chance of nocking them down. or f5 could be a block and jab sort of thing
Terragen manipulator, photoshop wannabe.

Planeshift name: Demoritus, but you can call me \"god\"
Avast.

Aruneko

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2002, 04:27:42 pm »
That would still make speed more valuable.  I think IF this is implemented, then it should be more like a switch which you toggle on and off, say, if there are 5 buttons on the bottom of the screen, you hit one of them in the middle of a battle, and it says:

Trip Enemy

You keep using that move until you hit another button.