Author Topic: A Hated System - a good idea.  (Read 3102 times)

Link

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2003, 10:57:26 am »
Originally posted by azeazezar
i you would like hate points that are more powerful wen jused les often
but les powerful wen the person gives hate points evry minute ;)

Can someone translate this?

Anyways, there is no need for hate system if there are moderators to warp people to hell, and ban them.
The Great Linksunius

kinshadow

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2003, 02:53:50 pm »
Originally posted by Abemore
kinshadow, I\'ve written a small amount of code for PS, but I\'m not a Dev, so it seems meaningless to hammer out all the details of a system that might never make it into the game... but this does seem like a good philosophical exercise

Well, you posted the original suggestion and I think that fleshing it out could prove useful as a suggestion for other parts of the rules system.  I guess I\'m a WTB WTB Settings Member (eg Talad will get to reading my app in a month or so) and I have been trying to help the hunt for memory leaks in the code, but that doesn\'t mean we can\'t contribute in other ways (rules in this case).  I guess if you don\'t really care, then I\'ll stop asking questions.

As for karma, in UO they have an RP \"hate\" system where by if you do evil things (kill good PCs/NPCs, help evil people, steal, etc.) your karma goes down, likewise when you do good things (heal good people, kill evil NPCs/MOBs, give money to the poor, etc) your karma goes up.  This is coupled with a \"fame\" system (seperate XP like tracker based on the things you\'ve killed and quests completed...including craft quests) to give your char a title (Glorious Lord, Notorious Fiend, etc.).

Originally posted by paxx
I would like to have a PC version of faction?this would be the equivalent of a hate meter.

I think that factions would prove as a usefull addition on the RPing side, but I don\'t think they take into account the \"anti-grief\" feature that the above hate system is addressing.  Is there a way to take this personal hate into account in the factions?  A faction could love a member while he causes grief to the rest of the world.

killercow

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Preventing abuse...
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2003, 06:08:00 pm »
Well to prevent abuse, it could be limited to only allow one Hate point to be added to someone per other character.

So you could only give one person one hate point, but then if someone else hated the same person, they could give him one hate point. But never could someone get 2 hate points from one person.
Also there should be a forgivness function to go with it, because mistakes do happen.  :]

Also any abuse could be reported and warnings prompted upon abusers.
A Killer Cow will always beat the Clever Cat.

Aruneko

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2003, 09:49:11 pm »
Can\'t you just hate people without affecting some statistic?  If you want other people to avoid a guy, just go complain and gossip about it until he is a hated enemy.

Hate points aren\'t of much use when there is no Pking, either.

kinshadow

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2003, 11:46:24 pm »
Originally posted by Aruneko
Can\'t you just hate people without affecting some statistic?  If you want other people to avoid a guy, just go complain and gossip about it until he is a hated enemy.

Hate points aren\'t of much use when there is no Pking, either.

Well, under normal circumstances, there is no down side for someone who enjoys pissing people off.  At least as far as the anti-grief aspect of the \"hate\" points go, it helps to create a bad side (inflated prices, limited access to public places, etc.).  It is kind of like the mod system seen on internet news sites; if people don\'t like you after prolonged annoying behavior, then your posts don\'t show up by default.  An ideally designed system could weed out the uber annoying l337 d00d5.  IMO, the RPing aspect of such a system  is just an extra bonus.

Aruneko

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2003, 04:18:24 pm »
\"Dood5\" will use this feature more than RPers, most likely, and eventually good RPers will pay the price (maybe literally, if costs are affected.)

Once the full release has come, good roleplayers will be less frequent that doodz, I\'m sure.

kinshadow

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2003, 05:23:27 pm »
Originally posted by Aruneko
\"Dood5\" will use this feature more than RPers, most likely, and eventually good RPers will pay the price (maybe literally, if costs are affected.)

Which was my original point.  The big point now is how to get around this.  Can you suggest a different anti-grief system?   The widely held belief is \"GM\'s will do it!\", but if as this is not the case in most other MMOGs, I don\'t see that strategy working in PS.  Most GM\'s have other problems (getting players unstuck,  catching cheaters, etc.) and don\'t have time to play \"who said what\".  A self regulating player-mass would be an ideal solution in my opinion.  If your saying Abemore\'s suggestion is too vunerable to exploitation, what would work better in its stead?

Aruneko

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2003, 04:13:52 pm »
I don\'t really know...  But I do know that if this system has a slight possibility of exploitation, it should be excluded, seeing that it is hardly necessary.

Maybe the computer could detect words that involve certain body functions which I will not name that the char. says, and make the character\'s costs go up.  But first off, were we trying to prevent people from talking about certain things?

If not, scratch that.  But its a way to piss off people who are vulgar. :D

Abemore

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2003, 08:44:18 pm »
i just typed a lot but it didnt post, then i hit the back button and it was gone... X(

Awaiting Invite from the Ordo Illuminatis.

Before you criticize someone, remember to walk a mile in their shoes...
...then when you criticize them, you\'ll be a mile away ...and you\'ll have their shoes.

FMiddy

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2003, 09:02:20 pm »
how about there is a hate system, and hate points, but it takes a group of people to give a hate point, like you vote to hate someone, but it takes 2 more people to vote before he gets another hate point, now the more hated you are, the less it takes to get a hate point, like after a while, one or two votes gives you another hate point, and there should be good points that work the same way.
Name: Frankuuu
Race: Dermorian Elf
Chosen Path: Warrior
Alignment: Neutral
Guild: N/A

I fight for my destiny, if yours crosses mine, the only outcome is for me to prevail, whether you live or not depends on if you get in my way...

Link

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2003, 10:58:01 pm »
Do shop keepers in real life get to not sell to people just because they are disliked, or not give jobs to people if they are disliked, Do you get to kill someone you dislike? All those are against the law here in America (even though all still happen daily) Why don\'t you not be a little cry baby and ignore the person and continue on?
The Great Linksunius

FMiddy

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2003, 01:58:09 am »
well honestly, we\'re not talking about america, this is a fantasy place, its outlandish, its a medeval type thing, I mean, how well could laws be enforced without any kind of recent technology, the best way to fight crime is this type of setting would be by word of mouth, and knowing who to avoid, and as for shop keepers, its not like a wal-mart with set prices, its more like a flea-market, if the person likes you, theyll give you a deal, if they dislike you, they\'re gonna try and rip you off.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2003, 02:00:25 am by FMiddy »
Name: Frankuuu
Race: Dermorian Elf
Chosen Path: Warrior
Alignment: Neutral
Guild: N/A

I fight for my destiny, if yours crosses mine, the only outcome is for me to prevail, whether you live or not depends on if you get in my way...

Link

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2003, 04:07:22 am »
FMiddy, I know what I am talking about, the developers have told me that this will be a REALISTIC fantasy game. But I think they are smoking crack because there is a VERY big line between Fantasy and Reality, or maybe it was a thin line, I don\'t know.
The Great Linksunius

cmhitman

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2003, 12:11:46 pm »
link, have you ever read a sci-fi book?
do the words scientific fiction mean anything to you?
cause if you don\'t get it, thats sad, truely, truely sad.

on another note like your gallery, when did you get a dot com site? or rather how?
PROUD [SOLE]    HITMAN CLAN WILL RISE AGAIN!      

paxx

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2003, 03:21:04 pm »
Originally posted by kinshadow

I think that factions would prove as a usefull addition on the RPing side, but I don\'t think they take into account the \"anti-grief\" feature that the above hate system is addressing.  Is there a way to take this personal hate into account in the factions?  A faction could love a member while he causes grief to the rest of the world.

As far as anti-grief?there are a few ways to gauge who is giving grief, details will not be given because it is possible to abuse unless we have a filter type system, but we could have some type of flag system based on the number of legitimate complaints and ignores as well as some other statistics we might get on said person.

In the end banning is the hardest aspect to create as we need to track accounts with nothing more then an account name and possibly an IP. But ideas are there to make this applicable.

The other major issue is, what counts as a hated offence, everyone has different scales and there is a time issue involved. 20 complaints in 2 weeks seems like a lot, but with 20000 players (not all on at the same time) it would only take one person with 20 free accounts to do?so it is difficult to track.

But in a perfect world, yes we hope to have a system where a player could have some grief meter?but more likely it will be a GM/dev only feature, where when an complaint is addressed we have some history of past offences and such.

Perhaps we can annotate something like a probation tag on players so people know of their pasts, these tags can disappear if no new offences happen after a certain amount of time.

But as of yet there is no complete plan till we address possible banning procedures.
-Paxx