Author Topic: Character Editing  (Read 1503 times)

soca playa

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Character Editing
« on: January 29, 2002, 06:01:58 am »
I think we should be able to custimize our character\'s appearance, for example..
Weight
Height
Skin color
Eye color
Hair color
left/right handed (if it matters)
clothes (unless you can buy clothes)
dif. shaped heads/faces
-~-Soca Playa -~-
Leader  of Royal Rumblers - Fighting Clan

(bg taken from ps site)

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2002, 04:24:34 pm »
Body: slim, normal, robust
Skin: color darker or lighter
Tattoos: can be personal, or distintives of clans.

ratdudett

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2002, 09:36:43 pm »
you should also be able to choose ur hair color, and maybe how long your hair is

Vengeance

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2002, 12:16:19 am »
Choosing your hair color is a fairly simple feature, since it only involves the texture (the \"wallpaper\" wrapped around the shape of the person).

Choosing the length of your hair is hard to do, because it affects the shape of your player (as well as the texture), rather than simply the texture.

I would say things involving textures are likely to happen and things involving the player shapes are likely to take several years longer. :-)

- Venge

Kendaro

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2002, 05:01:06 pm »
hair color would have to have its limits. you cant just choose what ever hair color you want cause, for example, like for the two dwarven clans they are most noted that one has dark hair while the other has light hair. then comes the enkidukai that by the style of their fur is what pack you choose. so by changing the color of your fur it would have to stick with the paterns of the packs.

ratdudett

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2002, 06:39:52 pm »
and eye color is cool too :P i want bright red eyes >:) j/k

Woggy

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2002, 10:30:16 pm »
what about something like in the game black and white - each creature has multiple models.
One for, evil, good, fat, thin, strength and weak.

so then while playing the game it would blend all the models together to make a new unique model depedning on your creatures behaviour.

I think in planeshit when you select your character, you can use sliders for each dofferent thing. So if you want your character slihtly chubby but look quite strong you can just slide those sliders to the right and the model would blend.

paxx

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2002, 11:17:28 pm »
Great ideas, and I too would love about 20 options on 10-20 different characteristics per character, but here are some things to think about.
Each different characteristic will
1.   take time to make (taking the game longer to be created)
2.  Take up space on the hard drive (longer download)
3. be more things that the computer must have in Active Memory (take up RAM)

So, one question is would you like more individuality of the starting characters (before they get cool items that adapt their appearance) or cool environments? Or have both and wait 10 more months for the game to come out?

I am being a bit excessive in my argument but in general I am pretty sure you will have the ability to change hair color and face (this may affect hair length) possibly even skin tone and or color. But the number of things changed may be limited at first and or very few period.

As for adjustable models (they get fatter, stockier, thinner...) as the game goes on. This is a very cool idea, and I think it would make the game a blast ?that merchant who hasn?t done any exercise is getting a bit pudgy around the edges there?, but I am pretty sure it would be really taxing on the CPU, because instead of getting set models from memory it would have to render the model. Also it would cause bandwidth issues since it has to give dimensions for each character in the game, not just his model type and what he is doing but how wide his waist is, his arms, his head?all that extra info going through your internet connection would cause a strain on the server connection.

The most likely thing is that they offer many options including different skin, hair and eye color as well as different faces, if you also give a few different stature to each race (Really tall, tall, medium, short, really short) and 12 skin tones, 12 hair colors, 12 faces and this could give 8640 different variants of one sex of one race?I think that would be way more then enough, considering as soon as you have some money (in game money) you will be buying cloth and other items that can distinguish your character even more.

Hell, realistically I?ll be happy with 100 variants of each race?I?d be even happy with 5, but if we are wishing then 8640 seems like a real good number.    

The eye color is something I would love but in reality it only comes into use when you are at 5 feet or less from someone, and character appearance will have nothing to do with NPC reactions?but if there is time or effort is made it would be an option I would love as well.

The only thing I?m saying is all this is really luxury items. It?s affect on game play is none. But its affect on game emersion and individuality is pretty dam big, the question is after 3 months of playing do you still care?

I think you do and it?s worth the extra memory, and CPU power, extra dev time as well a  small load on bandwidth, but  not too much on any.

We will see it really comes down to creative programming, in the end.
-Paxx

ratdudett

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2002, 02:48:10 pm »
great ideas :) but i don\' t think there needs to be 12 different faces.  2-4 is enough per race i think ;) and i think there should be only 3 different skin colors per race cause as u said its gonna take ages to program all this and will take up a lot of space on ur comp

Lode

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2002, 04:41:13 pm »
I think, anything that can be edited, should be able to change later in the game.  For example, if one day you don\'t like those green eyes anymore, you can go to a mage (for example), and then he can perform a very expensive spell to change your eyes to red eyes.

Kendaro

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2002, 05:52:20 pm »
a choice of 12 or more faces is needed... if not then you have 20 people of the same race with the same face... its too cookie cutter to be done with less faces than that.

MilowEd

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2002, 12:47:33 am »
has anyone played Smackdown? well that has a good character creation system, it has really cheesy hair thouugh :/

I would use a textured quad hanging off of the chars head to repepresent hair.
Lege atque lacrima  :D

Culsoron

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2002, 05:55:34 am »
Is size really an issue ? I rather have a great game that uses half my hard-drive, than a shitty game that use little. And about the download, it doesnt mather to me if its 200 mb or 800 mb. What mather is that the game is great.

MilowEd

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2002, 11:35:42 am »
Culsoron this is a wish list... *WISH* being the key word her :D
Lege atque lacrima  :D

Hak`M

• Traveller
    • View Profile
About left/right handed
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2002, 04:38:38 am »
If you choose left/right handed, the other arm is your off-hand and it should be different when fighting. Also I thought a race with no off-hand would be cool... the no penalties at all  :D, but you should watch it they won\'t become the ultime fighters....  ;)  
-Hi I\'m the signature virus, plz add me in your signature line and help me spread :-)-