Author Topic: This may make blacksmithing less of a hand-tirer  (Read 1405 times)

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
This may make blacksmithing less of a hand-tirer
« on: September 28, 2010, 12:08:30 am »
Well in WoW. When you are doing Blacksmithing you can full up your inventory of over 100s of ores, and then simple click smelt all to smelt them all without anymore clicking involved. How about a move all button to move all those items out of your inventory and into the furnace, and then a move all to move back into your inventory.
Please note: I am meaning not stacked :)
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.

Geoni

• Veteran
  • -
    • View Profile
Re: This may make blacksmithing less of a hand-tirer
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 06:41:51 am »
This isn't WoW, this is PS. You have to work until your hand breaks.

-sig by sarras

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 09:35:01 am »
This isn't WoW, this is PS. You have to work until your hand breaks.

My understanding is that the hands are only intended to horribly cramp. Then, using the R, A and D keys with one stiffened peter pointer, characters should be moved to the local drinking hole to find some RP relief.

- Nova

Sillamon

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 10:06:54 am »

By the gods!  If we automate crafting then everyone will do that and before long everyone who wants to be an expert crafter will be one!
And even worse, if it was done with all types of crafting, people could be experts at everything in no time at all.

No no no, thats just not the PlainShift way.

This is not supposed to be fun, its supposed to be a gods-aweful miserable chore that only the most elite of crafters can bear.
You are supposed to sit there like a crack-monkey waiting eagerly for the next opportunity to click!

It takes fast reflexes, good timing, eye-finger coordination, and a touch of autism or obsessive compulsive disorder to be a good crafter.

Buncha noobs commin along and suggesting new ideas .... Peh ! I spit on your new ideas.

This is how crafting has always been done. You stare and click. Stare and click. stare and click.   You stare and click. Stare and click. stare and click.  You stare and click. Stare and click. stare and click.  You stare and click. Stare and click. stare and click.  You stare and click. Stare and click. stare and click.  You stare and click. Stare and click. stare and click.  You stare and click. Stare and click. stare and click.  You stare and click. Stare and click. stare and click.  You stare and click. Stare and click. stare and click.  You stare and click. Stare and click. stare and click.  You stare and click. Stare and click. stare and click.

Got that ?
Now isn't that fun?

No ? Perhaps we should double to triple that staring and clicking time then....

I think I'll log on today so i can ... oh gods .. what was that technique again ?
Ah! thats it !  "STARE and CLICK"

In all seriousness guys, you should try playing some other games and incorporate some of their ideas. People have been bitching about crafting for quite some time now. In response crafting was made even more tedious.  Limit the number of specializations one can have and you wont need to ruin the game by making crafting as boring as possible.

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 12:10:08 pm »

There is no question of my obsessive compulsive behaviour these last two and a half months or so.

All of that compulsion has been directed at combat skills to the detriment of much crafting. My character started cooking for a short while yet found in the time to have another cook 65 fish and split the total she could make 10,000 tria in looting. She started armour repair for a while yet found the enjoyment of standing about with Hangatyr or Gova while they did the repairs much more enjoyable; so stopped that study too.

If things were easy then everyone would be experts in everything. There would be little need to interact for such things.

Some crafting could be more polished, to be sure. Yet to make them less time intensive would remove one of the main safeguards that keeps some uniqueness between one character to another and helps to bore the PLers to the point of coughing up the thirty dollars a month for a WoW account.

That is my point of view only and needs no flames for consumption.

- Nova

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 01:48:31 pm »
Every other freakin' MMO out there automates crafting, and for a damn good reason. Sure, PS wants to be different, but I assume PS wants to be different in a good way. What makes it different, to me, is the roleplaying, the fact the world is inside of a stalactite, and the way death works in-game. Staring and clicking (times infinity) doesn't add to the immersion or benefit the game or player in any way. It doesn't make me think "Oh, how creative of the team" or "Hey, this is so much more fun than those other free MMOs!". It just cramps up the hands so we can't type as much therefore can't roleplay as much.

TL;DR: Crafting sucks. Change it.
Role Play Preferences
[1: gossip] Glaciusor: There's now a guy in skimpy armor having war flashbacks about daemons. Have fun Hydlaa

RlyDontKnow

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 02:10:22 pm »
Every other freakin' MMO out there automates crafting, and for a damn good reason.
[...]
Crafting sucks. Change it.

sorry, but there won't be "turn a bunch of odd thingies into a imba weapon by just one click and some luck" :P

as for collecting all your items from the container: sounds reasonable, could you put it as feature request on the bt?
anyway, putting all in won't be there as the engine can't know which ones you want to put in, quality matters, ...

also putting single ones in... what for? stacked crafting works quite well... if you just want to exploit/work around a bug: sorry, but no feature for that kind of thing ;) and putting the stack in, holding shift and clicking a bunch of items is not really hard tbh

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 04:59:14 pm »
Even making a minigame of it or something might help - but as it stands, it's torture to smelt and craft.
Role Play Preferences
[1: gossip] Glaciusor: There's now a guy in skimpy armor having war flashbacks about daemons. Have fun Hydlaa

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 03:47:59 am »

A button in the container window to transfer all items owned by a player to his inventory would make a very nice feature request.

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 05:40:17 am »
I don't quite know how it would be done putting them into the furnace/stock casting/forge, but taking them out sounds pretty simple.

@Sillamon yes that is what I am trying to say STARE and CLICK, not stare and click click click click click click click click.... (or whatever amount of clicks people do). Also I ant a noob!

@RlyDontKnow I do believe you have to separate them in the stock casting, to stop you from making Stocks or Ingots or whatever.

I will make a topic on bug tracker now.
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.

Shatterkiss

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 08:28:40 am »
There is one instance where you need to put in single items:  casting ingots.  I typically do 200 ingots per load of ore, and given that ingots are used for both shields and helms I go through a lot of ingots.  Perhaps a "flood fill" button on the container that you can drag a stack of items to, which will then place as many of those items into the container at one item per slot.  Extras could be shunted back into inventory as a stack.

Mordaan

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 10:08:54 am »
Even a simple addition (and yes, I know this is a coding challenge and being worked on) of being able to open multiple containers at once would be most welcome.  As it is now, it's not very realistic to put molten ores into your inventory before putting them into stock casting...or for that matter putting hot ingots into your "hand" while working on them.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 10:11:12 am by Mordaan »
--Overseer, Explorers Guild.

ChevalierNowaru

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2018, 07:11:53 am »
I know this topic is outdated already but I was wondering recently how people fill the furnace SO fast as they do that I thought something like the automated fill-in might have been implemented. That`s why I looked it up. (How do they do that THIS fast?)
Is there some command to make a makro for?
idk something like
/target furnace
/put iron ingot, furnace

something similar to that attack makro
/target next alive
/attack bloody

Isn't that worth a thought?

Another idea would be to implement a standart.comination of keys for inserting a single object into the container that is open atm.
Like Shift + left click gives you a single object of a stack but it does not place it in the container open at that moment. And yes, it would be a great improvement.
(at least as great as a "make an npc-sell become undone"-button, haha - i sold my things so often accidentially )

---> edit: I just found out that i dont have to actually click into the correct container slot. an item dragged with shift+LMB combination placed on top of a full slot in the furnace will find its way to a free slot by itself. so... no need to "improve" that any more.. sry for the inconvenience caused haha ... so THATS how people fill the furnace so fast :D
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 07:33:25 am by ChevalierNowaru »

Emaline

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Citizen
  • Game Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2018, 11:38:43 pm »
I was going to tell you the trick but seems you managed to find it out. Yeah, that will save you not only lots of time but your wrist as well!
I'm very responsible, whenever something goes wrong they always say I'm responsible.

Any Event idea find us on IRC #ps-event
Problem Ingame use IRC: #Planeshift-gmtalk

Dilihin

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • you can always find me on IRC: JeHugawa @freenode
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2018, 11:28:50 am »
Big necroing but anyone finding crafting hard can try making a real chain mail first  ;D