Author Topic: contracts  (Read 462 times)

9rin

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
contracts
« on: June 01, 2003, 10:31:45 am »
to encourage trust in a community, we could have contracts, and feedback.

i\'m thinking of a scenario like this:
i want to hire a thug to follow me around for one game day. when i request this he tells me his fee is 12 diamonds(just a random cost) I pay him, and he hopefully follows me around helping me out as per our agreement.

Now once we make the transaction there is nothing to prevent him from skipping out except word of mouth. which is just not effective in most cases. so! could we have a small contract drawn for a service?
\"i offer my services for 1 day to player X for the sum of X gems\" or whatever the transaction really is
and each person could have a copy

when the service is up, you can discard the contract and give feedback on the service.
first rating. thumbs up? or thumbs down?possibly a 1 - 10
and then feedback. somewhere where you can give your glowing interpretation of the event, or the dark scummy kind.

when you go to hire someone you could ask to see their papers or something. effectively asking to see their feedback. if you see a favorable ratio of goods to bads, you know it is a worthy risk.

as a side note, i think it could promote more community building. so we could really have classes like a mercenary, which people could analyze and make an informed decision on.

this could be the case for craftsmen as well.
\"i commissioned Black_Smith to create me a magical ice sword, however when i received my sword it had no ice enchantment on it and he refused to reimburse me for the sword\"

i can see how using a contract for every transaction would get tiring. so i think it would be good mostly for major transactions.

just thought of something..... equipment rental? ehehe

let\'s discuss the flaws and strengths of this system :)

Badakai

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2003, 05:56:20 pm »
I don\'t think you should add this much contracts. Instead of paying in front, pay after the service has been done. Or a little up front, rest later.

This way, the merc does a louzy job, for example he sits under a tree trying to figure out gravity. You\'d rather see those apples in the basket.
Now you won\'t pay him (or pay less). This way he must work for his money, because otherwise people won\'t hire him.

If you die, too bad. That means the merc didn\'t do a good job, so no reward.

This system also encourages really trying to please the one who hired you as a merc. If you do your job more than good, you might get a bonus.

9rin

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
could work both ways?
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2003, 08:42:49 pm »
couldn\'t the same system work like you are saying.

the mission gets done and if you die, well then you give him poor feedback.
OR the mission get\'s done and you decide not to pay him. he will be upset and give you bad feedback.
easy way to hold someone to the transaction. neither of you will want the bad feedback.

Fiztkarloff

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2003, 08:56:03 pm »
Hmm, I like this \"papers\" idea. Quite usefull for people to keep a track of their actions. That way, good players would be truly recognized by the society, while cheaters and backstabbers would be sent into the low grades.
A sort of National Archieves could be craeted, so players would eb able to, for a small fee, inspect certain notes and information about a character. There would be, however, more private information, that would first require the agreement of the owner to be seen by a certain character.

hook

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Hook's Humble Homepage
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2003, 02:53:27 am »
i like the idea ...and here\'s my idea how it\'d work

there would be some NPC praetors (a kind of judges/notars/complaining persons - all in one), but we can call them different, that two players could go to and ask him to make a contract. this would go like this:
player1: /tell praetor me and player2 would like to make a contract
praetor: /tell player1 what is your part in the contract?
/tell player2 what is your part in the contract?
player1: /tell praetor i\'ll pay him 20 quad
player2: /tell praetor i\'ll help him clean the toilet
praetor: /tell player1 player2 said he\'ll help you clean the toilet is that right?
/tell player2 player1 said that he\'ll pay you 20 quad, is that right?
player1: /tell praetor yes
player2: /tell praetor yes

this would be optional, the players could also make a contract-less deal if they wanted to, but this way they\'d lose the right to complain to the praetor if they\'d get tricked
:emerald: The Treecastle *will* stand !!! :emerald:

in-game name: Seeln