Author Topic: house building??  (Read 4114 times)

ninkwi njadro

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
house building??
« on: February 06, 2002, 06:14:31 pm »
how do U build your house?? are there contractors how you can hire?? or are u gonna buy a prebuild house ?? OR build one yourself?? adn when your house is build can you decorate it your self?? this would be cool and can U invite guests into your house and can You lock your door so nobody breaks into your house?? and i read alot about gaurds around your house this would be cool too. but the burgular thing is do not like. imagine you come back from a long quest your wounded and tired and just want too rest in your home on your couch or in your bed but when you arive home there\'s no bed and no couch!! or worse your house has burned down!!! AHHHHH

stickman

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2002, 11:25:25 pm »
i dunno, but building ur own house sound like it\'s way out of teh range of this game, or any other game for that matter. i would just be happy with just having a place to walk in and drop off my items.
i lost my sig... i hope ur happy

WTD

eruinn

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2002, 11:28:02 pm »
what he said
:D RS all d way :D
59 main
34 pure
25 pure
20 mage
14 mage

Kiern

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2002, 11:28:14 pm »
it seems that in all games houses are \"in-coming\" i dont think people have found out a real way to do this......

if you it HAS been figured out care to explain it to us?

eruinn

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2002, 11:31:17 pm »
what he said again :D
:D RS all d way :D
59 main
34 pure
25 pure
20 mage
14 mage

mistwalker

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2002, 02:17:47 am »
Maybe you could build your own if you had some sort of a carpenter skill. An easier way of programming it would be to make it into some sort of a wizard (software wizard, not roleplaying). So you wouldnt actually \"build\" it, but you could specify heights, floors, etc.
A fool and his head are soon parted.

Lenric

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
hmm
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2002, 02:26:24 am »
Well the only way with current programming that I know of to make it so we each could have our own houses specialized is with there being a certain designs of various models that you could pick and choose but im thinking the houses will be a little more generalized .

Due to locations and such for houses most likely (not positive about this )you might at the most get to customize the inside (even perhaps the paints outside (doubtful)but a wonderful bonus if so.

houses most likely will be located in certain areas and a few houses might even be in the saem exact places as other houses and you may have to choose or be invited to go into anothers house.

Of course there are some games coming out that you can build your own house town and such perhaps this will be such a game but if so we have a long wait.

mistwalker

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2002, 03:49:46 am »
Its possible to have some sort of modular designs, as I have seen in other games where you could design craft or buildings. So you could have as many floors as you want (withing reason), as many rooms, where you want the rooms, etc.
A fool and his head are soon parted.

Nu Sham

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
u guys
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2002, 11:34:57 am »
have to take into concideration that there is only a limited space on the PS servers.. you know how much space it would take to architacuar your own home?
personally i see no need in this... putting items you find while walking around the words and implenting them into your home seems enough for me

Born to fight, Trained to kill,
Ready to die, But never will !

Leader Of BDS, GDC.

Montenegro

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
its pretty simple
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2002, 12:28:29 am »
Land will cost money, depending on what you do with it, the price could be different.  For instance, farmers might be charged considerably less for land, in edition to being able to rent land from the nobility (if its a feudal system).  In fact, all that they might have to pay would be a tax on the yield.  More on that later

Anyway, we\'ve all played strategy games, some even 3d, so we now placement on the terrain isn\'t to terribly difficult, and shouldn\'t require individual attention, if the engine is in place for it.  Here\'s how it would work.    You would go to the local town office, and look at available plots zoned residential.  Note:  it could just go raw acreage but no town would every sell you land in odd shapes.  The land would always have some road frontage, or be parceled out in nice neat squares.  Anyway, from that you would travel out to the area and look at perspective plots until you found one you liked, then stake a claim with marker flags at the edge (note, since the plot shape is determined by the game, this would be simply accepting that plot from the NPC at the town office) then proceed to contact an architect for a building plan.  Once you find a building plan you like, go to the town office again, and get a building permit for a few (perhaps even a real life fee?) for the building, which would depend on the ostentatiousness of the structure.  Once thats down, march you body down to your property and place a marker for where you want it build.  When you do this, a sort of shadwon building should appear (only to the land owner) so he can see what it looks like.   By walking around the flag, the orientation would change.  Placing a second flag would fix the orientation.  At this point, it would still be reverable.  When it all kicks in is when you start to build.  Even then, you still keep the permit and plans, just lose any time and money on building up to the point you stop.  
Now, in RTS games, the building of buildings (har har) is displayed as a series of incomplete steps on the way to a finished product.  That would be simple enough.  Maybe a half dozen steps per design.   Each house would require a certain amount of raw material, and a certain amount of \"skill\" points, representing the application of craft to the construction.  For instance, a small house might require 300 points of stoneworking skill for the foundation, slate roof, and doorstep, and 500 points of carpentry for the rest of the house.  Perhaps 200 points for glassworking to make the windows.  Interestingly enough, the house could also require 200 units of glass, 500 units of wood, and 300 units of stone, though perhaps that is to simplistic.  Anyway, the level of skill the artisan building it has is applied to both the amount of material used, the time taken to make, and the durability of the house.  Hence, a poor craftsmen might take alot more material, and make a house that has a leaky roof after everyrain (takes damage).

A more complicated version would require 250 units of granite for the foundation and steps, and 50 units of slate for the roof.  200 units of yellow pine for the support timbers, and 100 units of oad for the floors, and another 200 units of softwood (any type) for the rest of the house.   It really depends on how complex the other crafts are.  Until they are determined, the complexity of building a house is undefined.  Either way, the skill use and construction would be simple, just the material list might get long, which isn\'t necessarily a bad thing.  If you have to trade with different towns to get what you need, thats not bad.  What this would mean is there is a physically limited amount of space around towns and cities, and the price will go up as land availability goes down, and also depending on location i.e. if your neighbors are living in palaces, you are going to need that kind of money to get the land, and won\'t be able to get a permit for a hovle.

My 20 coppers
All right you primitive screwheads!  Listen up!

ninkwi njadro

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
lol
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2002, 08:23:49 am »
and whos gonna build the house a npc or a player??

anyways if house building is this dificult (i mean walking back and forth between the towhall and your building site)

i think i\'ll just buy a tent!  :D  it has advanteges
1 it\'s cheap
2 u can take it with U
3 U can set it up anywhere
4 if U want it to leave your items in you buy a another tent wich can stay for a long time

Urh

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2002, 04:03:01 am »
It would be fun just to have a house. To build a house is maybe too difficult for them to fix. But it would be nice
if you can buy things to have in your house. Chairs, tables and stuff like that. And maybe carpenters could make such things if they have the right things. :D
Hi...ho...he...hu.....ha ha....
Member of the Dwarven Army
http://www.Dwarven.tk

ninkwi njadro

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2002, 04:15:40 am »
yeah a house would be great! I could buy every good item twice. one I keep in my house and the other I keep on me. so if I die I just go in my house and I am fully re armed.

Mortis

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2002, 09:13:32 am »
u would have all your items twice well from what i heard its really hard to aford good items i dont think it will be as easy as runescape were u can buy rune in 2 days but all i can say is good luck to ya

Service to a cause greater than yourself is the utmost honour you can achieve.

ninkwi njadro

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2002, 11:29:14 am »
yeah I certanly hope it won\' be easy. but U can just have a spare equipement in ur house. and mortis nice sig btw!! all of U people have those nice sigs! ;(