Author Topic: Magic Leveling by Cast Times  (Read 503 times)

Richgar

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Magic Leveling by Cast Times
« on: July 08, 2015, 09:24:45 pm »
Hello everyone! I am suggesting that practice points for magic ways be earned by cast time instead of per cast. This will allow all spells to be used for training, and would make the use of various magic and magic power levels more flexible. Currently, the method is to spam 0 power, fast and easy spells like magic light rather than utilizing slow spells. This limits the idea of progression when harder spells are unlocked, as a player will be pressed to use their easiest spell throughout their magic career.
The amount of practice points earned will be proportional to the cast time. A standard value for casting time can be decided upon, and would give 100% of what we currently get per cast.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 11:23:59 pm by Richgar »

Can-ned Food

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Many ask what The Can contains, but few will know.
    • View Profile
    • an OpenDocument Spreadsheet for planning your character's stats profile
Re: Magic Leveling by Cast Times
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 01:28:26 am »
The fundamental concept here is that of understanding the gains in skill prowess.

Yours is an interesting idea, but how do you relate cast times to proficiency?
Gedundk Kokro, kran
Ailela Belair, nolthrir
Hwokmar Cmar, ynnwn

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 01:40:51 am »
Currently, you get merit based on the spell level and the difficulty of the opponent you are facing. Challenging stronger opponents will be more rewarding and using higher level spells ( which are usually slower) will get you more magic practice. Likewise, the spell % slider has an effect too. It's worth trying out different spells and power levels to see how they differ.

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 08:52:03 am »
It is a while ago I tested this for a bit, so maybe some things got tweaked in the meanwhile. I think casting time is already considered by design (not all spells of the same rank have the same practice gain, but slower ones yield more). However, rounding has a big impact, and the practice numbers go down as your rank increases, so often you just get 1 practice per cast. More spell power (% slider) means longer casting times, so yes, this can yield more practice per cast, but depends on rounding/capping.

Can-ned Food

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Many ask what The Can contains, but few will know.
    • View Profile
    • an OpenDocument Spreadsheet for planning your character's stats profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 01:33:10 pm »
Successful spells with longer time spent casting should contribute betterment to a characters acuity and mental focus, not necessarily to better skill in that spell's Way.
Gedundk Kokro, kran
Ailela Belair, nolthrir
Hwokmar Cmar, ynnwn

Richgar

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 04:04:38 pm »
Sorry, but I've tested this, and increasing the cast time of a spell doesn't yield more progression points. If it did, it's negligible.

Currently, you get merit based on the spell level and the difficulty of the opponent you are facing. Challenging stronger opponents will be more rewarding and using higher level spells ( which are usually slower) will get you more magic practice. Likewise, the spell % slider has an effect too. It's worth trying out different spells and power levels to see how they differ.

It is a while ago I tested this for a bit, so maybe some things got tweaked in the meanwhile. I think casting time is already considered by design (not all spells of the same rank have the same practice gain, but slower ones yield more). However, rounding has a big impact, and the practice numbers go down as your rank increases, so often you just get 1 practice per cast. More spell power (% slider) means longer casting times, so yes, this can yield more practice per cast, but depends on rounding/capping.

It's kind of illogical to master a skill without challenging yourself. Like boiling water isn't the best method of becoming a master chef. Yet casting quick spells is the best way to train magic.

The fundamental concept here is that of understanding the gains in skill prowess.

Yours is an interesting idea, but how do you relate cast times to proficiency?

Successful spells with longer time spent casting should contribute betterment to a characters acuity and mental focus, not necessarily to better skill in that spell's Way.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 07:45:29 pm by Richgar »

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 04:45:09 pm »
You need to try it with different spells. Also, your skill level in that way also needs to be factored in. At dw 160+  I can see a significant difference if I cast animate shadow or demon arrows with 0 percent vs say 80 percent spell power. Also, demon arrows and animate shadow behave differently at different power levels as far as damage an mana consumption are concerned.  Again, its something you need to tinker with. Try using a with and discover.

Richgar

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 05:04:47 pm »
Alright, I guess my levels are too low to notice a significant difference. Spamming really fast spells like magic light still seems to be the best method of training compared to the spells at my level.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 07:46:44 pm by Richgar »

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 03:03:35 pm »
Cating time is factored in the calculation of practice points as well as the spell realm.

seith

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 05:13:30 am »
There is quite an old feature request for the green bar PP to be displayed explicitly which would be really handy for adding some transparency to magic training, and others.

http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/flyspray/index.php?sort=desc&order=votes&order2=lastedit&sort2=desc&project=2&do=details&task_id=5500

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 01:55:04 am »
*cough*psExtended*cough*