Author Topic: Player owned Homes / Lands - Somewhere to stay and store  (Read 544 times)

Dante

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Player owned Homes / Lands - Somewhere to stay and store
« on: July 29, 2015, 06:06:38 am »
Hi everyone.
Well, first of all, sorry because I'm not yet one week old to be able to post an idea, But I really couldn't wait for that.
And I already read the wishlist rules, this is the only rule I'm disobeying !
(Searched a lot, There wasn't such idea before !)
So, If admins still think this Idea is really out of mind or something, Please just delete my thread.
Now the Idea ...

Players must be able to buy/sell lands inside/ouside of cities, But it's not like buying homes in other games like Skyrim and likes of that ! It should be so much more expanded, As I will describe.
But why ? (As rules asked a "Because" for every Idea), Because :
1- This is an MMORPG, and we must add to it's realism as much as we can. People have somewhere to stay in the real world, Don't they ?
2- We can get rid of some Decorative NPCs ! Like those standing in front of a building's door and watching, all the day and night, without any quests to give, or dialogues to help you. They certainly can't help as much as a player's character, standing front of his/her home's entrance door just to breath some fresh air and then return to his/her job, can help !
3- People can also have their own shops, Yeah more real looking shops, in which you can discuss about items you're gonna buy/sell with the shop owner, or you can ask for help about finding a shop which has a specific Item & etc. Of course NPC shops will still remain in their place, with their quests and items.
4- It won't be so strange when someone goes offline, anymore ! Well, maybe they're resting in their homes, and need some solitude !!! C'mon man, Why not ? This is a Role Playing game !

But there are questions about this Idea, and the methods it's gonna work. I describe below, as a Q & A >>>
[Q = Question, A = Answer, S = Suggestion]

Q1: What if number of players are as much as there aren't any more space for them to buy lands ?
A1 : There will be limitations. Every player can only buy a limited units of surface, for example 1000 or 100, Which developers define this limitation, Of course They know better about game's uniting system !
Besides, Even if number of players raise as much as there wouldn't be enough space for all of them, Then the map can be expanded, New cities, villages, homes in the woods, and alike. Or even players can sell some land to each other. (These options shall come with the improvement)
S1 : It's better if players have the option to buy this, limited amount of land, divided as more than one lots, in different zones, For example if the limitation is 300, You can have two 150 meters (say, Units !) of land in a city, One as your store/workshop, the other as your home, Or you can have these two lands in two different cities, as two homes.

Q2 : I'm confused, Homes or Empty lands ? Which one are you talking about ?
A2 : It depends, Maybe developers choose homes at first and then upgrade it to lands (Which means new improvements to be able to build a structure with entrance door and interior cells !), Or maybe they choose lands, make the improvements, and upload them once. This is developers' decision.
S02 : Of course choosing the 2nd method (Lands at once) makes less changes through time in game, thus players can safely play the same game it is, until the improvement is ready. But the 1st method has it's advantages, like Players don't need to wait so long to have a place to stay and call home !

Q3 : What happens to city maps ? If this happens, They'll have to change !
A3 : Yeah, Can change over time ! Players buy homes and they may not like it as it is ! So they just change it !!!
They destroy walls, Build new ones, Recolor their homes, Or turn them into shops, Or just turn them to empty lots, Or even public places ! They own it, and do whatever they like to it ! (Of course they'll need some verification from somewhere, like courthouse or government or something before they can change it. As real as it is !).
S3 : It's better to remove some unused structures, Like decorative houses & etc. to have some free space for empty lots. Also city walls can also be expanded a little, providing more free space. Like Hydlaa walls which can be expanded towards north, until they are kinda closer to forest. (That big empty road before entering the forest isn't really needed, Is it ?).

Q4 : Then how will we build our buildings ? How's the process ?
A4 : This one is completely based on how developers can do it. Maybe there can be a, say, Side-App with game for building, Or maybe it can be done online, Or even we might be able to have an in-game construction mode, switching from Character to Land mode, allowing to build things in a great perspective, containing it's own menus and commands.
S4 : One of things we really need to discuss about in this topic, Is the method of building structures.

Q5 : Isn't is so much big and huge for now ? How much time does this project need to be done ?
A5 : Again, Depends on how developers work. Of course I and surely many others try to help them as much as we can, But is it as big as the game itself ?? I don't think so.
They built this huge game, They did it the best way, So they can do this one too.

The last note : How to distribute the lands ?
This one is also based on what developers think.
My suggestion is that empty lands can be sold in units, and already built structures need to be sold in one piece !
One can empty his built home (turn it to an empty land), then sell a part of a half of it !

In the end, I shall notice that this isn't but an Idea.
This can be accepted or not, But those who like it, I ask them to help developers to pass it.
We all want this game to advance, And become the one which all RPers love.
The dream of Role Playing !!! :D

Me !
I might be able to do some sound works, And if there's any other thing, even the smallest thing, I can do to help improve this game, I won't withhold ...

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Player owned Homes / Lands - Somewhere to stay and store
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 07:05:33 am »
I'm not clear on the details but I believe that player homes are on the proverbial "queue" for being a thing in the future; the masonry skill is meant to have a place in that as I understand it. You bring up some interesting points on how it could be brought about though.  :thumbup: Unfortunately I think the team is low on programmers and people who can model/texture so it will likely take a while to come to fruition.

Demagul Riwe

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Demagul, Veirys, Fenoren, and more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 08:25:03 am »
The housing release is definitely one of the updates I'm most excited about, although I'm afraid it won't be anytime soon.

I really like the current guild house system, in which they're actual buildings on the map, which is something a lot of games I know of don't do. I think it would be effective if the housing system was a cross between this and the masonry skill, so some people could buy houses, and others can buy lots. This ties into S3, in which you suggest to remove decorative buildings in cities. Would it be possible to sell those as houses, and apply the masonry skill to the interior in a way? Of course, there should also be a way to buy lots and build houses, but using both of these would make the game more realistic (because its not like everyone makes houses from scratch irl), and it could give the buildings in cities more purpose.

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 09:29:14 am »
So... you basically want Minecraft?

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

Demagul Riwe

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Demagul, Veirys, Fenoren, and more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 09:47:13 am »
So... you basically want Minecraft?

Me? Heh, I've actually like spent less than 10 minutes on minecraft in my life. I have no idea what you mean Mishka... I was just thinking out loud there about a possibility.

I really like Dante's ideas. I'm pretty sure that there's still a lot more planning that needs to go into the housing system before it's even a possibility, so this could also lead to some useful discussion.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 09:49:48 am by Demagul Riwe »

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 12:30:31 pm »
[...] there's still a lot more planning that needs to go into the housing system [...]

Pun intended? Also, the Minecraft remark wasn't to you, but to Dante: what he asks for is dangerously close to what Minecraft does...

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

Dante

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 02:30:58 am »
to Dante: what he asks for is dangerously close to what Minecraft does...
Well, Kinda yeah !
Some lots should remains as they are, Like harn's, or the tavern, or guildhouses !
But many can be bought/sold, destroyed/rebuilt by players.

Can-ned Food

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Many ask what The Can contains, but few will know.
    • View Profile
    • an OpenDocument Spreadsheet for planning your character's stats profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 05:26:28 pm »
Here's for reference just one topical post related to yours:
Houses for Players

There's this one, which talks about inns and hostels and stuff, but it is much older:
Apartments for Rent

Many times people here have discussed having places to store and display personal items.

Let's think about property ownership in Yliakum for a moment.
The Octarchs claim fiat governance over all the inhabitable spaces, with the Vigesimi seeing to the cities and towns and business like such.  What this amounts to is a assertion of realm for criminal prosecution and civil resolution.
There's nothing to stop you from setting up anything in the wilderness, whether a stall for sale of wares or a hut or a brick house, except wild animals and bandits (e.g. Cutthroats).  Don't forget about them.
In a city, the Vigesime enacts zoning ordinances to enable cohabitation; the nature of those ordinances would depend on culture, inhabitants, tradition, and establishments.
Read up about this at Jayose's Library in East Hydlaa.

As far as building is concerned, I doubt that PS will resemble any block-builder.  Consider Avalon, where it takes several days our-time to build structures — and that's when you have all the materials gathered together where you wish to build.
Gedundk Kokro, kran
Ailela Belair, nolthrir
Hwokmar Cmar, ynnwn