Author Topic: Idea for farming  (Read 165 times)

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Idea for farming
« on: October 25, 2016, 12:07:14 pm »
I'm not sure if this will work with the current or new engine, but I had an idea. I apologize for the jumbled nature of the ideas, but I'm writing this out in between doing other things before I forget them entirely.

What if farm plots were items that could be placed, not unlike furniture? I think it would be helpful though if it could only be places in "farmland" areas to prevent cluttering the streets with them. It would also be helpful if it bore the name of the person who owned it.

The item could be watered with a Bucket of Water using /use. Tending could be done with farm implements using /use, and pest control could be done with special potions and /use. This will give more use to the bucket of water, and farming implements, but it would also allow for more expansion into the general potions market. Like an apothecary.

Over time the plant, would grow quickly if well tended. If poorly tended or not tended it would grow slowly. I would not suggest adding in withering. I hate withering in games due to RL always intervening. It's not a matter of player skill if you can't log in at just the right time and the idea isn't to make a chore out of it.

However, once the crop is finally ripe, the player will get a certain amount of yield based on how well they tended the crops. Harvesting could be done with a sickle and the harvest command, /harvest I think.

Now seeds could be something bought from farmers or something that can be created using low level cooking skills on plants that can be grown. Fruits like Duppongs and juice berries would be good, vegetables like tubers and carrots, and so on.

To keep wild fruit/nuts/veggie sources from going obsolete, farmed crops can have a quality cap on them. The advantage of farming over gathering in the wild would be that you could harvest more at one time from a single plot.

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
Re: Idea for farming
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 12:28:23 pm »
If you can get a Skunkworks team going like we did for leatherworking, it will get implemented. You need someone to look over the rules, someone to do the coding if any, a 2D artist for textures, 3D artist for items if any, and finally a writer for the quests. Good luck~

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Idea for farming
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 12:49:03 pm »
That may be doable in the future. I would think it should happen after a farmland area has been released though. Maybe the Mills or Homstead(if that's the right place from PS Lore.