Author Topic: The next skill implemented-Pick pocketing  (Read 625 times)

Nebulus

• Traveller
    • View Profile
The next skill implemented-Pick pocketing
« on: January 03, 2017, 07:41:12 pm »
 Ok so I talked a bit about this with the player/dev who portrays Animated earlier today,after he happened to sneak up on me while mining. He pick-pocketed a few ores and my pick from me before I retaliated in kind by killing him and recovering my stolen items.
 He had to use GM commands to actually pick from my inventory,but it occurred to me that pick pocketing would be an interesting new skill to develop,and since it's already on the list of Various skills,would be a natural progression from Lock Picking.
 Now we probably wouldn't want to have the ability to do this to other players,as this could cause some problems,but I think it would be neat to be able to pick NPCs. To start at low levels by attempting to pick-pocket passive creature NPCs and eventually quest NPCs would be a fun and interesting addition to PS. It has tons of RP value imo as well.
 Then there are factors to consider like faction loss and gain for failure or success,should the passive creature attack you if caught,as well as the types of items you could pick(my thoughts would be animal parts at first up to possibly normal weapon and armor drops at higher level,and possibly some food,pots etc). High level picking on quest NPCs could net money,clothing items,a weapon or rarely even a glyph.
What do you think?

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Re: The next skill implemented-Pick pocketing
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 08:42:02 pm »

Wow... I'm not sure what to say here. >.>

PVP pick pocketing is not role playing and offers nothing to role players. As for PVP, yes, it looks like it would add some value.... that is, if you can hit back or ask others to stick up for you and attack on your behalf.

I'm not sure if Laanx is still a role playing server or if that has silently been changed. For those who role play, I guess you will need to carry nothing in inventory in order to avoid unwanted theft and interruption from role playing.  :-\  You might need to ditch all armor, worn items and books too. Enjoy the enhancements. ;D  \\o//  :P

Dilihin

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • you can always find me on IRC: JeHugawa @freenode
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 08:52:52 pm »
IMO there is more important things the game could have but this should be done a long while later.  Pickpocketing glyphs...well that would be radical, as that would be only other way to get those. Also pickpocketing animal parts? How do you pickpocket like, Hearth from ulbernaut? :D

Wow... I'm not sure what to say here. >.>

PVP pick pocketing is not role playing and offers nothing to role players. As for PVP, yes, it looks like it would add some value.... that is, if you can hit back or ask others to stick up for you and attack on your behalf.

I'm not sure if Laanx is still a role playing server or if that has silently been changed. For those who role play, I guess you will need to carry nothing in inventory in order to avoid unwanted theft and interruption from role playing.  :-\  You might need to ditch all armor, worn items and books too. Enjoy the enhancements. ;D  \\o//  :P

Rigwyn, Laanx is still roleplaying server, what did you expext  :@#\  and as Nebukus said, this wouldn't propably be done so you could pickpocket players.

Nebulus

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 11:23:02 pm »
Rigwyn,you completely missed on what I was saying,and in fact took it completely the opposite of what I'm suggesting. Read again.
I said specifically we would NOT want to have the ability to do this to other players for the problems it could cause.
I simply got the idea for the skill from the interaction in game today,but in no way do I support implementing the ability to pick pocket other players as part of the skill. Creature mobs and at higher skill NPCs is what I suggested,not players.
I'm sorry you missed the whole context of my idea. Maybe try reading it again in the proper context. My turn to say wow.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 11:28:31 pm by Nebulus »

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 01:36:30 am »

Sorry, my bad. Looks like I seriously misread something there. o.O

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 07:05:41 am »
* Mishka imagines pickpocketing an ulbernaut off its fur...

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 01:05:13 pm »
Don't go leaving the ulbernauts to wander around outside in their underwear.  X-/

Mairon

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 03:26:14 pm »
There is already such a game:
http://www.mortalonline.com/
DONT TREAD ON ME

Migg

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 07:01:27 pm »
Seing as the skill is there, and the need (at least for one player, but I imagine for other rogue characters who have not explicitly practiced it so far) also exists, it wouldn't be unthinkable to have this in the game, the same way as PvP is currently implemented: pickpocketing would be an opt-in procedure, like challenge, everywhere except specific "pickpocketing" areas. Camp banished springs to mind. This will allow players to keep their valuable possessions, but would improve the mechanics for everyone wishing to participate in a pickpocketing RP.

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 05:24:30 am »
Honestly, I can't see how a PvP pickpocketing mechanic would improve a pickpocketing RP.
However when pickpocketing will be implemented it will be possible to pickpocket the NPCs.

Nebulus

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 11:18:39 am »
Thanks Migg for the constructive feedback,and Eonwind for the info.
Just to reiterate,I never suggested in any way implementing a pvp or player picking mechanic. Since,as you said Eonwind,that when pickpocketing is eventually implemented we will be able to pick NPCs,I guess my thoughts on RP value were aligned with that.
Like sneaking up on rich NPC citizens and merchants and lifting their valuables while someone else distracts them etc. That's where the mechanic for picking NPCs and RPing could overlap.
Anyway,thanks for the feedback.

Migg

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 12:59:11 pm »
Honestly, I can't see how a PvP pickpocketing mechanic would improve a pickpocketing RP.

The current RP setup is open to godmoding, who is to say what he chance is for a specific pickpocket to succeed in picking the wallet of any one character? Implementing this in game will imho allow for ambiguities to be removed and a clear framework to be laid down: This will become a skill one character can train to improve their chances of success, while another's traits (e.g. agility or charisma) could determine their own ability to thwart the attack.

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2017, 01:28:06 pm »

The current RP setup is open to godmoding, who is to say what he chance is for a specific pickpocket to succeed in picking the wallet of any one character? Implementing this in game will imho allow for ambiguities to be removed and a clear framework to be laid down: This will become a skill one character can train to improve their chances of success, while another's traits (e.g. agility or charisma) could determine their own ability to thwart the attack.

The problem with this approach is enforcing a player action upon another player, even if the outcome is not to actually steal items or money they possess but just reward the pickpocketing player with a generic reward.
Generally speaking the devs team doesn't like this kind of approach, so it's unlikely we'll ever implement the skill that way.

Migg

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2017, 01:30:48 pm »
The problem with this approach is enforcing a player action upon another player, even if the outcome is not to actually steal items or money they possess but just reward the pickpocketing player with a generic reward.
Generally speaking the devs team doesn't like this kind of approach, so it's unlikely we'll ever implement the skill that way.

Well, this was neither my nor, if I understood correctly, the initial poster's idea. If I want to PvP with another player they have to accept the challenge, and my idea was that pickpocketing another player could require the same consent everywhere, except perhaps some designated areas which could be the same areas where PvP is allowed.

Nebulus

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2017, 02:56:01 pm »
I'm not really interested in a player picking mechanic of any kind. My interest is in the mechanics for pick pocketing NPC creatures and quest NPCs(the non player inhabitants of Yliakum).
I would hope that there would be some kind of reward for successfully picking anything,however small that reward might be. It's the incentive for training the skill. "You successfully picked the Riverling's pocket for 1 hexa and 4 tria." or alternatively "You failed to pick the Riverling's pocket. The riverling retaliated,hitting you for 16 health damage,and stunned you for 5 seconds."
Just as with the Lock Picking skill,if you never get any reward from any chest you successfully lockpick,then there's no benefit,and no motivation to continue training the skill. It would render the skill pointless.