Author Topic: The next skill implemented-Pick pocketing  (Read 624 times)

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: The next skill implemented-Pick pocketing
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2017, 10:24:42 am »
The problem with this approach is enforcing a player action upon another player, even if the outcome is not to actually steal items or money they possess but just reward the pickpocketing player with a generic reward.
Generally speaking the devs team doesn't like this kind of approach, so it's unlikely we'll ever implement the skill that way.

Well, this was neither my nor, if I understood correctly, the initial poster's idea. If I want to PvP with another player they have to accept the challenge, and my idea was that pickpocketing another player could require the same consent everywhere, except perhaps some designated areas which could be the same areas where PvP is allowed.

There is an important difference between PvP combat and PvP pickpocketing, even if consent is explicitly required: in PvP combat you can fight back, in a "PvP pickpocketing" the pick-pocketed player is always a victim (not much fun).

I'm not really interested in a player picking mechanic of any kind. My interest is in the mechanics for pick pocketing NPC creatures and quest NPCs(the non player inhabitants of Yliakum).
I would hope that there would be some kind of reward for successfully picking anything,however small that reward might be. It's the incentive for training the skill. "You successfully picked the Riverling's pocket for 1 hexa and 4 tria." or alternatively "You failed to pick the Riverling's pocket. The riverling retaliated,hitting you for 16 health damage,and stunned you for 5 seconds."
Just as with the Lock Picking skill,if you never get any reward from any chest you successfully lockpick,then there's no benefit,and no motivation to continue training the skill. It would render the skill pointless.

The exact reward will be decided when the skill will be implemented, but there must be a reward or this in game action would be pointless.

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2017, 12:50:07 pm »
Can't players use dice, à la Dungeons and Dragons? Like, there can be a dice system for this kind of RP actions and detections.

Just a suggestion.

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

Migg

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2017, 02:23:50 pm »
There is an important difference between PvP combat and PvP pickpocketing, even if consent is explicitly required: in PvP combat you can fight back, in a "PvP pickpocketing" the pick-pocketed player is always a victim (not much fun).
When trying to pick someone's pockets you can succeed, in which case the pick-pocketed player is the victim, or fail, in which case the pick-pocketed player can retaliate with whatever means they see fit, including (if it can be implemented) calling the guards to ban you from the city, or starting a PvP attack (which the pickpocket should in my opinion not be given the option to decline.)

Can't players use dice, à la Dungeons and Dragons? Like, there can be a dice system for this kind of RP actions and detections.

That is what is currently done but, unlike D&D, there is no way to measure your own resistance to pickpocketing. I presume a pickpocket would easily detect someone trying to pick his own pockets, right? My idea was the game would be able to better handle such metrics, by some rule that would take into account both parties' stats.

In any case these are just my personal views on a possible implementation.