Author Topic: Skill raising quest for Repairing  (Read 353 times)

Dilihin

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • you can always find me on IRC: JeHugawa @freenode
    • View Profile
Skill raising quest for Repairing
« on: January 11, 2017, 12:41:27 am »
Is it possible that next skill raising quest would be made for repairing skills? I think it's the most needed skill raising quest and quite many seemed to agree in gossip, just a little wish.  :D

Shatterkiss

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Skill raising quest for Repairing
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 01:47:50 am »
It's hard to imagine how it would work, though. The skill-boosting quests already in game are either gathering missions (fishing, mining) or cases where you prepare a number of recipes (potions, meals). How would repairing work?

1) Can't ask for repaired items of certain types, as the player could just hand over any items at all and never use the repair skill. Just buy or loot the required items and that's that.

2) If the NPC gives out items to be repaired it might work, although I'm not sure if the game can distinguish between repaired and unrepaired items.

3) The NPC could hand out special items to be repaired, but as above I don't know if the game can tell if something has been repaired or not. I suppose if the base item give is 1/50 the game could check to see if it's any better than that. Or check base value to see if it's increased. The time taken to repair these could be longer than normal, making it take real effort to complete. Maybe make them quest items?

That third option might work, but only if the game can check quality or value of the returned item, and it would still need to have much longer repair times than normal or risk being too easy.

Still, if that's dealt with it shouldn't be too hard. Start off repairing training gear, and as your skill improves you get to work on better equipment.

Venalan

• Global Moderator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 04:52:41 am »
Or... Someone could use their imagination and write a repeatable quest that doesn't involve getting the players to repair anything but results in them being awarded repair skill.

Venalan

• Global Moderator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 05:30:57 am »
In fact, if there are lots of players hoping something like this would be added to the game then why don't a few of you get together and design one yourself? It could be the first community written quest submitted to PS under a public license.

Quest making information and real world examples.

License announcement.

Dilihin

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • you can always find me on IRC: JeHugawa @freenode
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 05:53:31 am »
I can try to make quest when/(if) i have time, if someone else is intrested you can post here i guess.

Nebulus

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 01:45:12 pm »
I like the OP's idea and Venalan's idea. Either or both would be nice.
I also would like to see items(especially armor) wear out a bit faster.

Migg

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 03:26:39 pm »
Repair Mulgik's Bracers is a quest requiring one to repair an item, but it does not necessarily indicate the mechanics to detect an item being repaired do exist in game. If they do, then here's an idea that might work:

Instead of losing their boots/swords/gloves/whatever, guards could also ask if someone could repair their (spare) weapons or armor.  I think the guards wearing their weapons and armor would not be unexpected. The items given could be quest items of low quality (say 1/50 as Shatterkiss said) and the NPC could require that the quality be raised to say 30/50 or above to give the reward. Being a quest item ensures they will not be purchased off some merchant NPC, and whether the players repair the item themselves or not is irrelevant.

Venalan, is something like that possible? Can quest items be repaired, and is there a mechanism for the NPC to detect the item's quality?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 03:46:33 pm by Migg »

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 10:22:41 am »
I think it'd be as easy as, say, Bevon's Gauntlets or Bhurral's Falchion, but make them a piece of armor/weapon, so that the quest recognizes only that item, instead of it being a quest item. That way you can't try to fool the NPC with a normal item.

If you're repairing for a guard, maybe you can get a teleporting buff, where you're first incarcerated for trying to trick them when they're given regular items bought from an NPC, and five minutes later released to teach you a lesson. Let me ask Venalan if something like that can be done.

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

Migg

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 02:38:00 pm »
OK, if I read the instructions correctly, then requiring an item of a given quality (or range of quality values) is possible. The remaining question therefore is if quest items can be repaired or not.

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 03:24:36 pm »
As I said, quest items per se can't. But weapons/armor can. To avoid getting scammed, they can make it a custom name item, so that it'll be unique.

Don't make me repeat myself and read better!

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."