Author Topic: Single workplace for most jobs or Personal workshops.  (Read 862 times)

Mr Tennet

• Traveller
    • View Profile
    • The Lodge Forum
Re: Single workplace for most jobs or Personal workshops.
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2017, 10:32:32 pm »
As a temporary measure, considering how long we have suffered a lack of player numbers, I would like to see all crafting stations available around the Hydlaa Plaza, inside the houses if IC for the profession, with the market from East Hydlaa, set up around the Laanx statue. This might bring players into a tighter community in game and although the rest of the Dome might suffer for it the Plaza could prove a hive of activity. Should the player numbers increase in the future then these crafting venues could be closed by the Octarch. In RP there is always a way.
The large print giveth and & the small print taketh away.

netforce10

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Oh, of course. :-[

Well, I think one of the reasons for that not being implemented nowadays is the fact that it would lead to unnecessary contention.  See to the recent closing of the RCD for an example of why.

It would be nice if you could rent venues for a certain amount of time — but what would happen with evicted items?  Again, contention and nastiness bleeding over from the simulated world to the users.

Alternatives:  I think you can ask a GM to lock–down items of yours which would make for a stall somewhere.  Almost like a brick–and–mortar shop. 

First off, I hope you don't mind I reply here but it's more fitting I think.

I'll be honest and say that I only know the RCD as either the seized and closed building or the public use space that it is now. But given what little I know about it it turned to a situation where a small group/one person controlled the building and it stopped being a place for the benefit of the public. This most likely is wrong so please correct it if I'm fundamentally wrong.

This type of contention would not be present as a shop would be owned/rented by a single character and wouldn't be allowed to be sold to another character or rented out to another character. (both reselling and re-renting would create undesirable situations in my opinion).

Therefore the only contention arising is from characters not doing anything with their shops and gms evicting characters?

The first, is a problem which I don't think there is a real solution for except if all those hiring would accept the decision from either a GM, a commitee or another entity. Something like that is easy to get people to agree to until something they don't like happens, then there would be contention.

As for evicted items, they could be held in storage by one of the gms(whom supposedly evicted them) or in a bunch of crates or the like in a gm only location. After a while all items could be "destroyed"/"converted" into tria (or something) except the "special" ones at discretion of the person handling it.

I think that as long as it is clear that you may be evicted at the discretion of a gm, that it is possible to lose any items you place inside, that you wouldn't lose your items immediately and you have some ability to protect against abuse from GMs (just in case it were to occur) then I think that dissent about it would be minimal and worth it.

As to the alternative: I'm failing to see the difference between that and asking a gm for a personal building to use as a shop from a minimize contention point of view, from a functional view however it lacks the inherent physical storage a shop building would provide as any items not locked down by a gm could be taken by anyone.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 01:22:50 pm by netforce10 »
Larili Soriol

Dilihin

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • you can always find me on IRC: JeHugawa @freenode
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2017, 03:00:02 am »
Just to give my two trias:

Maybe adding items that look like corresponding work station rather than being actually one? Then people could RP with them.

The second idea is redesigning the gameplay so it wouldn't be so time consuming and wouldn't distract from the actual point, roleplay. Idea i strongly favour myself.

Aeghiss

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Hopefully my English grammar is flawless.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2017, 04:32:09 am »
The second idea is redesigning the gameplay so it wouldn't be so time consuming and wouldn't distract from the actual point, roleplay. Idea i strongly favour myself.
Idea I strongly disapprove. It's already too easy to master every craft at the same time. If crafting becomes instant and challenge-less, it becomes pointless as well. Fighting and magic are currently boring, there's really no need to destroy crafting too.
What's more, Aeghiss definitely is a crafter, and RPing while crafting is something I really appreciate as a player.
Aeghiss Rubinhertz, Ynnwn student at the University of Yliakum.
Melodria Palir, Enkidukai would-be Graalahkam-maarhe.

Dilihin

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2017, 04:38:46 am »
Idea I strongly disapprove. It's already too easy to master every craft at the same time. If crafting becomes instant and challenge-less, it becomes pointless as well. Fighting and magic are currently boring, there's really no need to destroy crafting too.
What's more, Aeghiss definitely is a crafter, and RPing while crafting is something I really appreciate as a player.

What in your opinion makes crafting "oh so cool and intresting"? Fundamentally it's just the same grindfesting as fighting. Yes, you have to chance tools and craft station. so what. It's just same timer as always. There's nothing challencing in it. Just face it.

Too easy to master every craft? Well, i can only then suggest you trying things like going outdoor or something. It's hundreds of hours of grinding to master crafts. It is easy, but hell, it consumes way more time than it should. Easy is not same as time consuming. Mechanics wise, it was never very intresting.

netforce10

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2017, 06:32:33 am »

Perhaps I am missing something but how exactly would crafting become easier by my second idea? Nothing changes to the amount of time a player would have to spent crafting, it just changes the location where they would craft.

RPing while crafting is something I really appreciate as a player.

Furthermore my 2nd idea would increase the chance that people visit you while you craft because they know where they can find you and have an excuse for knowing how to find you, there is that shop with your name on it after all.

I'll also re-mention that the personal workshops shouldn't(in my own opinion) be a place where they can craft everything but just their main profession.

Crafting should be looked at and discussed, especially given the port to a different engine. My intent however was to provide something to improve the game(especially the RP scene) in a way that can be done now and with relative ease.
Larili Soriol

Dilihin

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2017, 06:36:08 am »

Perhaps I am missing something but how exactly would crafting become easier by my second idea? Nothing changes to the amount of time a player would have to spent crafting, it just changes the location where they would craft.

No it won't, you are not missing anything. It was my proposal to redesign crafting system, totally seperate idea. The point was that you would need to spend less time crafting to free more time for roleplaying.

netforce10

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2017, 06:54:47 am »
Ahh, seems I misinterpreted that sentence.

For me at least the time spent crafting isn't really time I don't want to RP, if RP comes up then I'll just RP instead of crafting (except sometimes just before the market but that is negligible).

Crafting is more there for when there is nothing to do, just like the quests most of the times. The crafting system should nevertheless be discussed and looked at.
Larili Soriol

Dilihin

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2017, 07:12:09 am »
When it was the end times of my PS career, i rather prefered browsing internet or doing something else while waiting for RP. Actually PS was more like chat client to me back then, i just wanted to talk and see people rather than play the game, hence why i don't play anymore... nonenthless you are right, i would also suggest discussing and looking at other systems aswell.  \\o//

Aeghiss

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Hopefully my English grammar is flawless.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2017, 01:15:11 pm »
What in your opinion makes crafting "oh so cool and intresting"? Fundamentally it's just the same grindfesting as fighting. Yes, you have to chance tools and craft station. so what. It's just same timer as always. There's nothing challencing in it. Just face it.
Oi, don't make hasty assumptions here. I never said the crafting system is perfect as is. Still what's pleasant already ? Well, isn't the opportunity to create things enjoyable, and the possibility to learn new things and to get more possibilities over time enjoyable too ? To me it is all the more so as it's not something I can do IRL. So yeah, PS's crafting system isn't perfect and it can sometimes get boring, and that's precisely why I enjoy RPing meanwhile, so I'm not just waiting for a loading bar to get full.
Still it makes no point to have crafting become instant, unless you fundamentally change the crafting system.
As is, if you just make crafting instant, then one can become lvl 200 instant, be able to craft everything at Q300 instant, and become bored of crafting anything at all instant. You wouldn't have anything new to discover, any new recipe to discover.

Too easy to master every craft? Well, i can only then suggest you trying things like going outdoor or something. It's hundreds of hours of grinding to master crafts. It is easy, but hell, it consumes way more time than it should. Easy is not same as time consuming. Mechanics wise, it was never very intresting.
Well, I guess I wasn't clear here. Mastering a craft doesn't mean getting lvl 200. Lvl 200 is pointless currently. It could be 300 or 500 that it wouldn't be different. What I called mastering a craft here was about becoming able to craft every item related to this craft. And there's no denying this is pretty easy for most crafts.
Aeghiss Rubinhertz, Ynnwn student at the University of Yliakum.
Melodria Palir, Enkidukai would-be Graalahkam-maarhe.

Venalan

• Global Moderator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2017, 07:58:45 am »
A few negatives, I don't like the idea of houses being made the equivalent of shops as it's almost impossible to stumble across you, it's the reason the inside of harn's blacksmith isn't usable by players to craft as you are hidden if inside.

A re-work of crafting is needed, but isn't able to happen before the move to UE4 happens.

And positives, GMs should not move the current ptersaur's as it would mess up the whole network if they did. I could add a new ptersaur to the explorers camp if people are going to use it and update the quests/KAs accordingly, not too much work. I always liked the idea of trying to get rules to set up a rogue gang moving in and trying to take it over.

It would be possible to set up a series of crafting stations at the hydlaa-east market station so people can craft and sell things, it would even be possible to make them non-useable so that they would just act as RP props which might be useful during the markets.

netforce10

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2017, 12:21:49 pm »
I see it very differently from you, if anything it's easier to "stumble" across a specific person if they own a shop in which they spend a lot of their time. And if randomly stumbling across people is the issue you are pointing to then simply make the requirement that anyone in a shop not only needs to have their door unlocked but also have a green book on the door (and possibly red book when they are closed). If these shops would be (roughly) in the same single area then it would be even easier to find someone you can buy something specific from and you have more of an excuse to roleplay with them.

If you are going to have crafting stations there then they should work, props are nice and all but ultimately don't offer the same potentials (like freshly made foor/drinks), tailored armour etc.. Even if they are functional then they could still be used for rp. Ultimately however it doesn't get rid of the necessity of setting up the wares everytime and thereby limits what you can set up feasibly. Thus I would prefer to have actual shops.
Larili Soriol

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2017, 11:57:00 am »
It would be possible to set up a series of crafting stations at the hydlaa-east market station so people can craft and sell things, it would even be possible to make them non-useable so that they would just act as RP props which might be useful during the markets.

I've suggested this before. Why can't I have a cool forge/anvil even if it's not usable?

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

netforce10

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2017, 07:03:02 am »
Seeing as no other comments were made the only problem with my second idea are that people might be annoyed at gms decision regarding closing the shops and people locking themselves inside the shops? Both of which can in my view be solved relatively easily: Firstly solving the closing shops problem by having clear rules and ultimately simply allowing for GMs to decide with possibility to object to the rest of the dev team. And Secondly solving people locking themselves in by disallowing it and requiring a sign(i.e. a green book on the door) when they are inside it. If there are any more problems that I either forgot in summary or that were not mentioned yet then I would gladly hear them.

If those are the only problems/objections then I can't see why the idea won't atleast be tried out to see if it will actually aid RP, trying it out is relatively easy and it won't have a large impact on the game if it is reversed because it ended up harming the game.

And Emaline, thank you for working on my first idea even if in the end it won't end up happening.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 07:05:13 am by netforce10 »
Larili Soriol

Emaline

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Citizen
  • Game Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2017, 08:26:29 am »
And Emaline, thank you for working on my first idea even if in the end it won't end up happening.

Still working on that, just got rather busy.
I'm very responsible, whenever something goes wrong they always say I'm responsible.

Any Event idea find us on IRC #ps-event
Problem Ingame use IRC: #Planeshift-gmtalk