Author Topic: Single workplace for most jobs or Personal workshops.  (Read 860 times)

Venalan

• Global Moderator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Single workplace for most jobs or Personal workshops.
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2017, 02:15:12 pm »
Hey, so I should say that I'm not going to support this idea for now. I have a number of reasons.

The first of these is that I don't belive that this will really improve RP, Emaline and I have been talking about where and how to set up a combined crafting area which can act as a first stop location if selling/buying and/or looking for crafters, our first choice is the market in hydlaa-east. I have already previously added a storage NPC for convenience after requests for having one for the market. Setting up a simple stall is not especially hard and making a book with pictures in which display all the items you are selling is easily produceable, once you've made it it will last basically forever. I'm not sure how many people do this but you can. I think this addition to the public area should help satify some of the requests.

Second, hiding players away in a house for long periods while they wait for people to come by to buy things, or are actually RPing, will unnecessilary remove people from visibility within the game. There are cases where this hiddenness is balanced by the benifit the location brings, guild houses or the hospital in amdenir for example, I don't think it will be the case for a shop a player essentially owns. New players who aren't aware of how doors work and what they might find beind them will be the ones that miss out the most from having people hidden away, and we can't risk having more players in houses than we must.

Third, houses should not be used to store items in. There are guild houses with LOTS of stuff in and this all serverly adversly effects the speed with which the server starts as every item in every guild house is loaded into the server memory at run time. Items should be kept in storage. I can see every shop being filled with so many items it just makes this whole thing worse, such that you probably end up with the door entry bug people experience when entering a guild house filled with 100s of items.

When the situation changes we can revisit this, perhaps with the UE4 engine move we can remake Hydlaa and have a full offical market place which can better support player shops. But for now if there are other things which can do to support merhcants, more fixed stalls, more varied props, more NPC dialogue to talk about when/where to find things like the market, more sign posts or other notices...... Let us know.

Venalan

netforce10

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Single workplace for most jobs or Personal workshops.
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2017, 05:08:53 am »
Thank you for the answer, I suppose we simply disagree on most points. Given that it's technically not feasible further arguments would just drag this out so I'll refrain from going into any of those point.

But that new players don't know how doors work is a completely separate but more important issue, I think that's partly due to most doors seeming/feeling like one you're able to enter. About the only thing you can currently do to distinct the two types(except when there is a signpost) is right-clicking on them and see if the options pop up. The most recognizable solution, without interfering too much with the world, would be to have "vivid" coloured and "washed out" doors. Although that may not be done easily currently it is somethign to atleast keep in mind for the UE4 version.

If you want to improve the current market I don't think you should look at supporting merchants but how to get people to sell things at the market and how to get more people to the markets. One "easy" way is if any of the GMs or (or a player coordinating with them) sells special items at the markets nearly every time (or atleast regularly instead of the very rare occasion currently), for example special purpose kitchen knives or other tools, or good quality ingredients which can't be made by players (honey and bunch of joopiner/terevan beries to name two) or specialty dishes/drinks from other levels or etc.. I understand most of the GMs quite plainly don't have the time. The market need some variability in what there is to buy because that makes more people come there just to see what there is this time.

Otherwise if you want have more merchants then you'll need enough people at the markets and have more be bought/sold. Currently I solely go to markets because usually its enjoyable, see to it that it is there and to hopefully see it flourish occasionally. From a perspective about tria it's not really that interesting except for maybe the high end practical/usable items? Even then there seems to not be that many sales nor that much Circles changing hands. If trade between players could somehow be increased then that would lead to a more flourishing market.
Larili Soriol